Minimum Space for System Resore

METAL

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2004

Hi,
What is the minimum space required for the system restore to work
effectively?
regards
Metal

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Metal wrote:
> Hi,
> What is the minimum space required for the system restore to work
> effectively?
> regards
> Metal

Work effectively? What do you mean?

If the free space on any monitored partition falls below 50MBs SR will
purge all restore points and stop monitoring on all partitions until the
free space goes up over 200 MB.

The amount of space to allocate depends on how many restore points you
want to keep. Though SR will go up to 90 days, there is little value in
restoring beyond about two weeks back. Setting a maximum space of about
1 GB should be ok, but your usage may vary.

See this excellent discussion of SR.
http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Metal wrote:

> What is the minimum space required for the system restore to work
> effectively?

Depends on the specific PC.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

METAL

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2004

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will restrict SR to 2 or 3 restor points.
Will 200MB be enough?
regards
Metal

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Metal wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. I guess I will restrict SR to 2 or 3 restor points.
> Will 200MB be enough?
> regards
> Metal

The size of restore points varies. I have several that are 50-70MB and
one that is 202MB.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi Metal,

500 to 600MB's should be a good minimum to start with. Having disk space adjusted to low
while Installing or uninstalling large application packages or running Windows Updates
could cause the entire data store to be purged, and the loss of all restore points. Which
would defeat the purpose.

Here are some more tips on adjusting disk space and keeping System Restore Healthy
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/body_healthy.html#AdjustDiskSpace

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:54:13 -0400, "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org>
wrote:

>Here are some more tips on adjusting disk space and keeping System Restore Healthy
>http://bertk.mvps.org/html/body_healthy.html#AdjustDiskSpace

Bert,

I went to your page for advice on adjusting the amount of space
given to System Restore, but the only thing mentioned was adjusting
the slider. My slider gives me nothing between 200 MB (0% [sic]) and
950 MB (1%). (My disk is 100 GB, but only about 10 GB is currently
in use.)

Since 1% gives me four _months'_ worth of system restore, I'd like
to take it down to maybe 300 MB. Is there a Registry setting, or is
the slider the only way?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."