busted brand new P4 (never used)

this is really f***ed up right now, i have a 875P NEO and 512 PC3500 ram waiting to be used. Not to mention, how my parent are going to react to this, cause i told them "the CPU was defective and i'm going to RMA it"

I dont have much hope over at Intel, they're a big company so they tend to " don't give a s***" to things that happen to costumers, soo i'll see what the online retailer can do > <, i'm so f***ing pissed off and depressed right now.

Just to let u know what happened. I installed my comp and it wouldn't post, i followed the manual's trouble shooting guide, and it told me to check the CPU, before u know it, two bend(smushed) pins, and i don't see how i can make it bend like that. both of them have been bend to one side and then to the other kind of like ">" but Intel said their product are "seal from external damages, and examined before packaged" so i'm pretty f***ed up~~~~ now i do admit i make mistakes, but i dont see how i could bend the pin like that. Also, if i do straighted up the pin, the CPU will still be busted right?

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF
47 answers Last reply
More about busted brand never used
  1. LOL! I replied in the Graphics card section to this post. Nice Cut & Paste job CoolSquirtle, I can do it too, lemme show you....

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!
  2. It is possible to straighten the pins with flat-nosed pliers and eyeballing down the matrix of the pins to make sure they are all in allignment like a good marching band. You must bend the pins back into place very slowly and very carefully. Take your time, because if you screw up, well then you have no hope.

My dad thinks that was very unreasonable of that company to not replace your CPU that was shipped damaged. Vendors seem to care more about selling products than keeping loyal customers these days. Who did you buy from? Whoever it was, NEVER buy there again.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!
  3. Ah, CoolSquirtle wake-up dude! We have a possible solution. Also, I think your dad's board is an Nforce. IF he's not a hefty Graphics user, maybe you can bribe him into using the onboard NForce Video while you borrow the Ti4200 in the meantime. Cya in the morning I guess.

4. Axtually my 3ghz came like that too some bent pins later found out I was soo excited that I caused the plastic to buckle enough to push them over. Its pretty easy mistake to do since those retail packages are soo damned hard to open. Wouldnt sweat it straigh'n those pins out and pop her in again to see. My cat knocked mine off the desk too then I out of anger at the cat knocked my side panel on it bent somemore. But its still good to go :P. Someone told me cant remeber who that you need to bend them back and for like 23 times or something before they start to loose electrical conituity. So you should be safe CS.

-Jeremy

:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6940439" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:
    :evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1228088" target="_new">Busting More Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:
  5. the pins aren't bend to one side, it is "smushed"

120% nVidia Fanboy
  6. also after close examanition, one pin is about to break off too.

120% nVidia Fanboy
  7. Are you sure you put the processor in the right way? If you put it in wrong, you would have to push it a bit and two pins on one corner would get smashed because they wouldn't have holes to go into.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I didn't read the whole thread.
  8. ZIF stands for "Zero Insertion Force". I drop my P4's in, using no pressure whatsoever. If you had done this with a P4 having bent pins, it wouldn't have gone in all the way. Had you gone "one further" and installed the heatsink, it would have crushed the pins flat. But that's assuming you didn't actually LOOK to see if the P4 was seated before putting on the heatsink.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  9. well u see i took a picture of the CPU (for memories) and afterwords i compared it, the cpu was seated properly.

120% nVidia Fanboy
  10. Bring it to a shop in yer town then when they find it not working you can blame them :D.

-Jeremy

:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6940439" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:
    :evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1228088" target="_new">Busting More Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:
  11. let's all pray for me that Intel will RMA the chip for me.

120% nVidia Fanboy
  12. They should if not say it came that way they will turn around and say the courier was harsh. Intels is really good for that since the silicon costs them maybe 20 bucks. They have your money. If it comes down to the truth they probably will do it anyways. If not ill donate 100 bucks so you can get a new one. Us Intel guys gotta stick together dont cha know. BTW I AM SERIOUS ILL SEND YOU 100 BUCKS!!!

-Jeremy

13. hmmmmmm I to just ordered a p4, could sure use 100 bucks off
    ha ha---just kidding mr. spud but contact me real quick if the answer is yes.

the man of steel said that
  14. If its busted and Intel wount replace it sure.

-Jeremy

15. ha was just kidding mr. spud but was nice of you to say what you said. Never had to deal with intel before , but did with AMD and to my surprise they did not cause me trouble.
    Your a nice guy Mr. spud

the man of STEEL said that
  16. well, i'll argue/annoying them, until they will :D

otherwise, PM me about that $100 of yours ;)

120% nVidia Fanboy
  17. K lemme know only a few conditions for me giveing you that money. I get the dead damaged CPU and you dont need to pay me back. Unless you want to... it would be nice but meh good deeds go unsung.

-Jeremy

18. really really?
    hmm where do u live? US?

120% nVidia Fanboy
  19. In Canada, btw if you really want a FX 5900 for a good price if those Det50's suck em back (which they dont since I have a leaked ones but no real DX9.0 stuff to run) i think we can arrange something as well.

-Jeremy

20. we'll see tom:D

spud if u got MSN add me :D

coolsquirtle@hotmail.com

120% nVidia Fanboy
  21. Find someone who is good at Micro Soldering!
    CPU pins arnt that small. It should be possible with a steady hand!

<b><font color=red>Captain Obvious To The Rescue!!!</font color=red></b>
  22. Hey CS, it might be a good idea to check out the socket on your board.Find a thin piece of copper wire about the size of a cpu pin, and put it in one of the spots where the bent pins were. Then close the locking lever. Open it up and check the wire. If it's all smushed, show the people where you got the board. If that dont get you a new board and cpu, we'll all send them a few nice emails.
  23. good idea......

120% nVidia Fanboy
  24. Sorry bud but i think this was your fault, i just dont see how a few pins could be bent and not the rest, like at the factory they might lets say drop the cpu, but then a whole corner would be bent, if its hard shipping then the same thing would occur, but the only way to have just a few pins bent would be to put the cpu into the socket the wrong way. Cheating intel for your mistake is just not right.

BTW, everyone here, before building your computer INSPECT ALL OF THE PARTS, its the best way to avoid problems like this.

Also could you post a pic of the bottom of the cpu?

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:
  25. well i'm waiting for Intel's reply~~ i'm pretty sure it's gonna be a copy n paste one

and Piii, it could be me, but i'm not telling my parents that ;)

120% nVidia Fanboy
  26. Quote:
    and Piii, it could be me, but i'm not telling my parents that ;)

That's just wrong. Who else in the world can you rely on? Own up to what you've done. I don't care about Intel, but your parents??? Don't hide it. Once your found out, well, that's another story.

My sons did some things, that well, lets just say weren't the smartest. They always told me the truth & we got it taken care of the best we could. They would never have lied to me. If they had, I'd have lost a whole lot of respect & trust in them. Don't forget that you'll never be smart enough to out smart someone that's been there before & that's your Dad.

Think about it. Is a mistake worth loosing the confidence of your father? A CPU is just not worth it.

My $.02 on it.

Well, I didn't think that was gonna happen!!!
  27. psssss

it's not like i'm drugs on something~~ and i'll tell my mom ;) cause my dad will kill me ><

120% nVidia Fanboy
  28. Did you check the socket?
  29. Quote:
    it's not like i'm drugs on something

OK I see, not yet any ways. A question comes to my mind then. Of integrity, honor, trustworthiness, & honesty. I'd have to say that your lacking in these traits. I surely wouldn't be proud of my sons exhibiting such lack of traits.

I did have some respect for you, following your posts in the forum. I've suddenly lost all of that. I now realize that you are a child, doing childish things & need to grow up & get some maturity. Honesty is what everything comes down to & you don't seem to have it.

I feel sorry for you if you think the way to get along in this world is by cheating, lying, & conniving. It all starts at home & I see you think you've got them all under your thumb.

It's just to bad. Have a great life. I hope that you can look yourself in the mirror in the morning. I couldn't everyday if I lived like that. A man has nothing in this world, but his word, honor, integrity & honesty. That's how people in this world will judge you.

30. okay...

120% nVidia Fanboy
  31. Everyone lies to there parents, Rcpilot i don't mean this as an insult but i am positive your children have and will lie to you. Although i think it would be bad if intel takes the fall for what sounds like your mistake...

32. Quote:
    Everyone lies to there parents, Rcpilot i don't mean this as an insult but i am positive your children have and will lie to you.

I won't disagree with you on that. My sons are 28 & 30. So I've heard some of the stuff they fudged on growing up. You know what though, It was petty stuff. I've always been able to trust my sons words & been able to look them in the eye, & defend them. I know there good men.

Having said that, if I was confronted with something like this that my sons did, perpetrated by them, you can bet your bottom dollar it would have been handled by me in a fashion that they would never forget. They would have lost the confidence of me, their Father. It is far better to admit your mistakes as a man & then go on from there, than loose the confidence of your Father. I can only look at it from my perspective.

I'm sure that his Father isn't that bad of guy that he needs to be lied to. I also would imagine that his Father already knows just about what happened as well. He wasn't born yesterday. So he can choose to dig his hole deeper as far as I'm concerned.

Another thing I found after me Dad died. You can't take back the things you did when you were young & stupid. I'd give anything I have, just to be able to talk to my Dad again. So that's why I said what I did.

I know that there's a lot of youngsters that have way to much freedom on the forum around here, knowledgeable or not. Are we supposed to condone being less that honest & forthright with them, than we are with people in everyday life? I do not believe so.

I'm not going to make a big stink & go on forever about it. As far as I'm concerned its over. I said the right thing in this instance & I'll say no more. I wouldn't bother the guy in any other way, ever.

BTW I'm not insulted in the least. I can only say what I believe in. Having been there & done that, by raising my 2 sons to manhood!

33. One CPU is nothing to Intel.
  34. okay guys
    no more "family" lying stuff
    cause guess what?

I'm been instructed by Intel to call their warrenty support for "replacement warrenty"

YAY~!!!!!!!!

but wait, i'm still not sure if it'll be replaced or not...

(goes back into misery)

120% nVidia Fanboy
  35. thats not the point, i coundn't care less about intel, it is just wrong, you are forcing the blame onto someone else, and that is not right, ultimatly it hurts the consumer.

36. You should write a book about your parenting man, if all parents trusted their children THAT much, and if teenagers never told lies, hell it would be like living in eutopia!

No offense taken, i am sure if became a parent right now i would suck at it.

37. Amen RC. If only more parents tried to think less that their children are angels with halos, and tried to make them honest, we'd get a better world.

--
    <A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>
  38. Wow didnt this thread just get wierd. One minute I was reading a cpu thread the next its family values and parenting 101. Anyways just a comment

"One CPU is nothing to Intel"

If everyone that buys an intel, or amd cpu for that matter, thinks like that when they damage a cpu there is gonna be a WHooole lotta falsely replaced cpus (they sell quite a few these days apparently). The end result being that intel/amd raises the cost of there cpu's to absorb this cost, because they sure as hell arnt going to foot the bill. 1 cpu may not be much but they add up.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win your still retarded!
  39. that's the good ol' THGC spirit :D

guys~~ pray for me as i'm going to phone Intel tom

if i fail, U PEOPLE ARE RESPONIBLE!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

120% nVidia Fanboy
  40. If the pins were bent when you got it there is no way you could have inserted it properly. Seeing as you did insert it and presumably mounted the heat sink and it did not post, one can only conclude that the pins were bent during the mounting or dismounting. If they are > shaped as you indicate, that would suggest they were crushed into the socket. Either way, the bent pins are your own fault and you shouldn't feel that Intel are obliged to loose money through your mistake. Doesn't the box say that the chip is only to be installed by a professional?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:
  41. pssssssss are u saying then that everyone one here should spend 30$ an hour to get a CPU installed?

and u see, i have photo showing that i have installed the cpu properly.

120% nVidia Fanboy
  42. Post a picture of your CPU's PGA, then we will know if it was caused by putting it into the socket the wrong way.
  43. One picture is worth a thousand words.
  44. ahhh then i have to find a place to upload the picture~~

anyone want to provide me with one?

120% nVidia Fanboy
  45. bump!

120% nVidia Fanboy
  46. If you can't find a free webhost in this day and age then you're really not trying. Yahoo/Geocities would be a blatantly obvious place to start... :p

<pre><A HREF="http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030905" target="_new"><font color=black>People don't understand how hard being a dark god can be. - Hastur</font color=black></A></pre><p>
  47. ahh i have to try?

120% nVidia Fanboy
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Product