OC time

G

i finally got my comp!!!

Its a p4 2,6c with an ASUS P4P800 mobo

So, how fast do you guys think i can hit with stock cooling and voltage???

I was hoping for 3,2ghz...
And what are the risks that I fry my cpu , or void my warranty , or destroy my precious new system...?

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Move slowly, run a program called Prim95 to see if your OC is stable, you may be able to get to 3.25 with stock fan but nothing is for sure. also, you need to either change your CPU:RAM ratio to 5:4 or get faster RAM. In your case you'll need DDR500 (PC4000) to get to 3.25. at that speed the FSB will be at 250. Note that getting faster RAM is way better than working in 5:4 (not synced) though it's expensive as hell.

Roses are <font color=red>red</font color=red>, violets are <font color=blue>blue</font color=blue>, post something stupid and I won't reply to you!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ytoledano on 09/13/03 11:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
fry my cpu , or void my warranty , or destroy my precious new system...?

All of them will be involved after a clumsy overclocking.

<font color=red>If your nose <b>RUNS</b>, and feet <b>SMELL</b>.
Then you must be born <b>UPSIDE DOWN</b>.</font color=red>

G

"you need to either change your CPU:RAM ratio to 5:4 of get faster RAM."

can that damage anything?

ps: i have PC3200 ram :(

G

Well what could I do that ends up with getting my CPu fried?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by HARDWARE_NOOB on 09/13/03 04:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
PC3200 memory means it runs at 400MHZ and using a 200MHZ bus that fits your CPU which also uses a 200MHZ bus. this is called synced mode. 5:4 isn't sync meaning you lose bit of performance but it's usualy worth it if your overclocking.
overclocking the memory isn't easy, and you won't get very far so if you want a 250 FSB meaning you will be at 13 (your multiplier) * 250 = 3250. since you're in 5:4 mode your memory will stay at 200MHZ and won't be overclocked. search OC forum for more info.

Roses are <font color=red>red</font color=red>, violets are <font color=blue>blue</font color=blue>, post something stupid and I won't reply to you!

G

ok, then and if i only want to get to 3 ghz? do i sitll need to overclock my memory?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OMG!
ok, then and if i only want to get to 3 ghz? do i sitll need to overclock my memory?
Any time you overclock your CPU bus you raise the speed of your memory bus. Assuming you have PC3200 memory, you'll either be overclocking it or running it out of sych no matter what you do!

3250MHz using a 5:4 ratio is probably your best option, and may require raising the CPU vCore as high as 1.65v. And there's nothing to worry about there.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

dammmit, i hate touching voltage :S

and me who thought overclocking would be easy:(

Anyway, there are two ways of oCing in my BIOS , either by percentage or manuallly...what would be better?

And finally, are there vid cards that can<t be overclocked, does the system you have influence your OCing possibilities?

I have a RADEON 9000 pro and i can<t seem to do anything with it

lord_tyranus2

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2003
I personally ran the memory frequency at 80% because my memory was made by Centon, a company which I have never heard about before. I only bought because i got 3x512 MB pc2700 DDR for $75 after tax and rebates.

I just bought a comp and built for first time, so I was in the same boat as you are in a couple weeks ago. But as long as you take it slowly, nothing should happen. What I did was raise the FSB 5 mhz at a time, then run prime95 for a couple hours. When it fails, bump the voltage up slightly until prime95 runs fine. Stop bumping voltage when you reach ~45-50 degrees. That was for an AMD, Intel may be different. But my processor was a cheap one (Barton 2500), so I was willing to risk more damage for higher speed.

I'd OC ur CPU manually.

Video cards are overclocked by a utility in Windows, not by bios. Some can be overclocked, some can't. I reccomend you read reviews to see which can.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I know from extensive experience that 1.65v is nearly a perfect voltage for reaching the highest clock speeds without causeing excessive heat on .13 micron process CPUs. So I hope to diminish your hatred.

I'd overclock manually.

Overclocking your AGP clock is possible on some boards, unavoidable on others, and not recommended by me.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>