Slipstreaming Windows XP Home

I am preparing to clean install Windows XP Home to a new hard drive. I
am attempting to slipstream the original XP release with SP2 (on CD). I am
using the method outlined on Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

When copying the Windows XP installation CD to C: drive, the transfer
proceeds nicely until it reaches the I386\LANG folder. An error message is
returned:
Cannot copy -: Data error (cyclic redundancy error),
and the transfer stops.
I can copy the XP installation CD folder by folder and file by file with
the exception of two files, both located in the I386\LANG folder:
MSIR3JP.DL_ 49 KB
MSIR3JP.LE_ 683 KB
Bulling through the remaining integration process reveals no problems
though neither file appears in the newly created integrated Windows XP Home
installation CD.

I have yet to install the slipstreamed XP onto the new hard drive. But I
have test installed the slipstreamed XP onto an older hard drive. I observe
no problems with the installation or the operation of Windows.
Still, something is that is supposed to be installed is not. I fear
something will not work when needed. Just what is missing? How might Windows
be effected? Does the newsgroup recommend that I install the deficit version
of XP Home? Or perhaps I should try to obtain a replacement disk for my copy
of Windows XP Home?
11 answers Last reply
More about slipstreaming windows home

    Make sure you have your temp. internet file cache cleared and enough free
    space on your HD for the image...

    I would use "Autostreamer" along with Nero or other burning software. It is
    very easy to use.

    How:
    http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.html

    Download: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Autostreamer.shtml

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    "rider" <ridertimes@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > I am preparing to clean install Windows XP Home to a new hard drive. I
    > am attempting to slipstream the original XP release with SP2 (on CD). I am
    > using the method outlined on Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows:
    >
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    >
    > When copying the Windows XP installation CD to C: drive, the transfer
    > proceeds nicely until it reaches the I386\LANG folder. An error message is
    > returned:
    > Cannot copy -: Data error (cyclic redundancy error),
    > and the transfer stops.
    > I can copy the XP installation CD folder by folder and file by file
    > with
    > the exception of two files, both located in the I386\LANG folder:
    > MSIR3JP.DL_ 49 KB
    > MSIR3JP.LE_ 683 KB
    > Bulling through the remaining integration process reveals no problems
    > though neither file appears in the newly created integrated Windows XP
    > installation CD.
    >
    > I have yet to install the slipstreamed XP onto the new hard drive. But
    > I have test installed the slipstreamed XP onto an older hard drive. I
    > observe no problems with the installation or the operation of Windows.
    > Still, something is that is supposed to be installed is not. I fear
    > something will not work when needed. Just what is missing? How might
    > Windows be effected? Does the newsgroup recommend that I install the
    > deficit version of XP Home? Or perhaps I should try to obtain a
    > replacement disk for my copy of Windows XP Home?

    Hi,

    The CD may be scratched or smudged, try cleaning it with a lint-free cloth
    and possibly some furniture polish. The CRC error occurs because the copied
    file does not match the original. This is usually because of an inability to
    read the original media at some point in the track.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 06:42:33 GMT, "rider" <ridertimes@pacbell.net>
    wrote:

    >I am attempting to slipstream the original XP release with SP2 (on CD).

    I know this isn't addressing your CD problem but if you do get that
    straightened out, why just slipstream it with SP2? Go one further and
    use nLite v1.0b6 and RyanVM v1.3.1 Hotfix CAB to make an installation
    CD that is not only SP2 but up-to-date with all M$ Post SP2 hotfixes.
    nLite also gives you the option to Create an Unattended XP
    Installation CD and/or apply tweaks and such and/or remove certain
    windows items before the installation.

    Goto the nLite forum and check it all out:
    http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=89

    Regards,
    Ed

    Ed wrote:
    > I know this isn't addressing your CD problem but if you do get that
    > straightened out, why just slipstream it with SP2? Go one further and
    > use nLite v1.0b6 and RyanVM v1.3.1 Hotfix CAB to make an installation
    > CD that is not only SP2 but up-to-date with all M$ Post SP2 hotfixes.
    > nLite also gives you the option to Create an Unattended XP
    > Installation CD and/or apply tweaks and such and/or remove certain
    > windows items before the installation.
    >
    > Goto the nLite forum and check it all out:
    > http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=89

    Use this:
    http://xpcreate.com/

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    I tried AutoStreamer before using the command prompt method outlined by
    Paul Thurrott. AutoStreamer gets to a certain point in its integration and
    hangs. I suspect it is hanging due to damage to the XP Home installation CD.
    The slipstreaming method I used seems to work very well despite the two
    missing files. My concerns are not about the method of slipstreaming, but
    rather the integrity of an installation of XP Home from an installation CD
    which is missing two files.

    My questions to the newsgroup are whether or not I should trust the
    deficit installation of XP Home, and if so, how the missing files might
    effect the proper functioning of the OS.

    I agree that the probable root problem is damage to the original Windows
    XP Home installation CD. I attempted to clean and "repair" the disk several
    times. I even purchased the Memorex OptiFix Pro system specifically for that
    purpose. I was actually able to recover two other files after fixing the
    disk. (Originally, four files could not be copied. The two recovered files
    were just above and below MSIR3JP.DL_ and MSIR3JP.LE_ on the installation CD
    directory.)

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:58:11 -0500, "Shenan Stanley"
    <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Use this:
    >http://xpcreate.com/

    Problem with XPCreate is that the Author is known for disappearing for
    months on end, leaving the XPCreate community to fend for themselves.
    Not too cool for those that purchased the commercial version. A
    search back during the May - July period on their forum shows many
    frustrating threads about no one being at the driver seat for the
    commercial version.

    I was one (Commercial User) but dropped it this last time GreenMachine
    disappeared off the face of the earth for 4 months while there were
    real issues with the last commercial version at that time.

    Aside from that, if one goes the XPCreate route, stick to the free
    version. That way, you will not be loosing anything next time the
    author decides to disappear for a few months without a word or turning
    the activity over to someone else in his absence.

    As far as program vs. program though...... After leaving XPCreate, I
    found that nLite had such a nice GUI who's dropdowns lead me by the
    hand when it came to adding and deleting specific Windows applications
    and Tweaks that I wanted to add or take out. This also made adding
    personal & 3rd party drivers to the final mix very easy also plus the
    added benefit of adding supported 3rd party applications to the final
    mix.

    Not to PooPoo XPCreate (the program), I just found nLite to offer a
    needed GUI, tons more options, great support via RyanVM's add-ons and
    an author that is present to support his creation or his second if he
    is unavailable.

    Regards,
    Ed

    Might be a damaged CD.In most cases checking and cleaning the disc is
    the easiest way to overcome the problem.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    rider wrote:

    > I am preparing to clean install Windows XP Home to a new hard drive. I
    > am attempting to slipstream the original XP release with SP2 (on CD). I am
    > using the method outlined on Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows:
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    >
    > When copying the Windows XP installation CD to C: drive, the transfer
    > proceeds nicely until it reaches the I386\LANG folder. An error message is
    > returned:
    > Cannot copy -: Data error (cyclic redundancy error),
    > and the transfer stops.
    > I can copy the XP installation CD folder by folder and file by file with
    > the exception of two files, both located in the I386\LANG folder:
    > MSIR3JP.DL_ 49 KB
    > MSIR3JP.LE_ 683 KB
    > Bulling through the remaining integration process reveals no problems
    > though neither file appears in the newly created integrated Windows XP Home
    > installation CD.
    >
    > I have yet to install the slipstreamed XP onto the new hard drive. But I
    > have test installed the slipstreamed XP onto an older hard drive. I observe
    > no problems with the installation or the operation of Windows.
    > Still, something is that is supposed to be installed is not. I fear
    > something will not work when needed. Just what is missing? How might Windows
    > be effected? Does the newsgroup recommend that I install the deficit version
    > of XP Home? Or perhaps I should try to obtain a replacement disk for my copy
    > of Windows XP Home?

    Thanks to the both of you for these leads. I'll spend some time this week
    studying the programs and will probably create a customized installation CD.

    Is there a method to apply one's own registry tweak into the installation CD
    using these programs?

    After a bit more research, it appears these files set up language support
    for Japanese.

    MSIR3JP.DL_ morphs into msir3jp.dll which is describes as a Japanese
    wordbreaker and stemmer. MSIR3JP.LE_ morphs into msir3jp.lex which is a
    Japanese dictionary. Both are installed into C:\windows\system32\dllcache.

    I suspect neither will be missed.

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:05:24 GMT, "rider" <ridertimes@pacbell.net>
    wrote:

    >Is there a method to apply one's own registry tweak into the installation CD
    >using these programs?

    Yes. However, the GUI with nLite makes it a lot easier as you are
    tweaking to the same interface as you would be via the OS interface
    except here, you are doing it before the installation and having it
    install the OS YOUR way from the get-go.

    The nLite main section gives you these options:
    1. Integrate a Service Pack
    2. Integrate Hotfixes
    3. Integrate Drivers
    4. Remove Components
    5. Unattended Setup
    6. Patches
    7. Tweaks
    8. Create a Bootable ISO

    When you select the "Tweaks" option, it shows you the same exact
    interface that your OS would if tweaking it after installation. All
    the same choices are there that you would find from the OS. Same for
    the Remove Components option. Integrating Drivers and adding patches
    takes a bit more manipulating but if I can do it, anyone can do it.
    Integrating the Service Pack, Hotfixes, filling in the blanks for an
    Unattended Setup are nothing more than filling in the required blanks.

    You don't even have to figure out which hotfixes to implement. Just
    use the RyanVM131 Post SP2 Hotfix Pack:

    http://ryanvm.msfn.org/updatepack.html

    and let nLite figure that out.

    Its real easy to do and if you need help or have questions do a search
    or add a question to the nLite forum at:

    http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=89

    Regards,
    Ed

Clean Install CD-Rom Windows XP