I am preparing to clean install Windows XP Home to a new hard drive. I
am attempting to slipstream the original XP release with SP2 (on CD). I am
using the method outlined on Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

When copying the Windows XP installation CD to C: drive, the transfer
proceeds nicely until it reaches the I386\LANG folder. An error message is
returned:
Cannot copy -: Data error (cyclic redundancy error),
and the transfer stops.
I can copy the XP installation CD folder by folder and file by file with
the exception of two files, both located in the I386\LANG folder:
MSIR3JP.DL_ 49 KB
MSIR3JP.LE_ 683 KB
Bulling through the remaining integration process reveals no problems
though neither file appears in the newly created integrated Windows XP Home
installation CD.

I have yet to install the slipstreamed XP onto the new hard drive. But I
have test installed the slipstreamed XP onto an older hard drive. I observe
no problems with the installation or the operation of Windows.
Still, something is that is supposed to be installed is not. I fear
something will not work when needed. Just what is missing? How might Windows
be effected? Does the newsgroup recommend that I install the deficit version
of XP Home? Or perhaps I should try to obtain a replacement disk for my copy
of Windows XP Home?

peter

Make sure you have your temp. internet file cache cleared and enough free
space on your HD for the image...

I would use "Autostreamer" along with Nero or other burning software. It is
very easy to use.

How:
http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.html

Download: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Autostreamer.shtml

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"rider" <ridertimes@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> I am preparing to clean install Windows XP Home to a new hard drive. I
> am attempting to slipstream the original XP release with SP2 (on CD). I am
> using the method outlined on Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows:
>
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
>
> When copying the Windows XP installation CD to C: drive, the transfer
> proceeds nicely until it reaches the I386\LANG folder. An error message is
> returned:
> Cannot copy -: Data error (cyclic redundancy error),
> and the transfer stops.
> I can copy the XP installation CD folder by folder and file by file
> with
> the exception of two files, both located in the I386\LANG folder:
> MSIR3JP.DL_ 49 KB
> MSIR3JP.LE_ 683 KB
> Bulling through the remaining integration process reveals no problems
> though neither file appears in the newly created integrated Windows XP
> installation CD.
>
> I have yet to install the slipstreamed XP onto the new hard drive. But
> I have test installed the slipstreamed XP onto an older hard drive. I
> observe no problems with the installation or the operation of Windows.
> Still, something is that is supposed to be installed is not. I fear
> something will not work when needed. Just what is missing? How might
> Windows be effected? Does the newsgroup recommend that I install the
> deficit version of XP Home? Or perhaps I should try to obtain a
> replacement disk for my copy of Windows XP Home?

Hi,

The CD may be scratched or smudged, try cleaning it with a lint-free cloth
and possibly some furniture polish. The CRC error occurs because the copied
file does not match the original. This is usually because of an inability to
read the original media at some point in the track.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"rider" <ridertimes@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> I am preparing to clean install Windows XP Home to a new hard drive. I
> am attempting to slipstream the original XP release with SP2 (on CD). I am
> using the method outlined on Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows:
>
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
>
> When copying the Windows XP installation CD to C: drive, the transfer
> proceeds nicely until it reaches the I386\LANG folder. An error message is
> returned:
> Cannot copy -: Data error (cyclic redundancy error),
> and the transfer stops.
> I can copy the XP installation CD folder by folder and file by file
> with
> the exception of two files, both located in the I386\LANG folder:
> MSIR3JP.DL_ 49 KB
> MSIR3JP.LE_ 683 KB
> Bulling through the remaining integration process reveals no problems
> though neither file appears in the newly created integrated Windows XP
> installation CD.
>
> I have yet to install the slipstreamed XP onto the new hard drive. But
> I have test installed the slipstreamed XP onto an older hard drive. I
> observe no problems with the installation or the operation of Windows.
> Still, something is that is supposed to be installed is not. I fear
> something will not work when needed. Just what is missing? How might
> Windows be effected? Does the newsgroup recommend that I install the
> deficit version of XP Home? Or perhaps I should try to obtain a
> replacement disk for my copy of Windows XP Home?

Ed

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 06:42:33 GMT, "rider" <ridertimes@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>I am attempting to slipstream the original XP release with SP2 (on CD).

I know this isn't addressing your CD problem but if you do get that
straightened out, why just slipstream it with SP2? Go one further and
use nLite v1.0b6 and RyanVM v1.3.1 Hotfix CAB to make an installation
CD that is not only SP2 but up-to-date with all M$ Post SP2 hotfixes.
nLite also gives you the option to Create an Unattended XP
Installation CD and/or apply tweaks and such and/or remove certain
windows items before the installation.

Goto the nLite forum and check it all out:
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=89

Regards,
Ed

Ed wrote:
> I know this isn't addressing your CD problem but if you do get that
> straightened out, why just slipstream it with SP2? Go one further and
> use nLite v1.0b6 and RyanVM v1.3.1 Hotfix CAB to make an installation
> CD that is not only SP2 but up-to-date with all M$ Post SP2 hotfixes.
> nLite also gives you the option to Create an Unattended XP
> Installation CD and/or apply tweaks and such and/or remove certain
> windows items before the installation.
>
> Goto the nLite forum and check it all out:
> http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=89

Use this:
http://xpcreate.com/

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

I tried AutoStreamer before using the command prompt method outlined by
Paul Thurrott. AutoStreamer gets to a certain point in its integration and
hangs. I suspect it is hanging due to damage to the XP Home installation CD.
The slipstreaming method I used seems to work very well despite the two
missing files. My concerns are not about the method of slipstreaming, but
rather the integrity of an installation of XP Home from an installation CD
which is missing two files.

My questions to the newsgroup are whether or not I should trust the
deficit installation of XP Home, and if so, how the missing files might
effect the proper functioning of the OS.

I agree that the probable root problem is damage to the original Windows
XP Home installation CD. I attempted to clean and "repair" the disk several
times. I even purchased the Memorex OptiFix Pro system specifically for that
purpose. I was actually able to recover two other files after fixing the
disk. (Originally, four files could not be copied. The two recovered files
were just above and below MSIR3JP.DL_ and MSIR3JP.LE_ on the installation CD
directory.)

Ed

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:58:11 -0500, "Shenan Stanley"
<newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:

>Use this:
>http://xpcreate.com/

Problem with XPCreate is that the Author is known for disappearing for
months on end, leaving the XPCreate community to fend for themselves.
Not too cool for those that purchased the commercial version. A
search back during the May - July period on their forum shows many
frustrating threads about no one being at the driver seat for the
commercial version.

I was one (Commercial User) but dropped it this last time GreenMachine
disappeared off the face of the earth for 4 months while there were
real issues with the last commercial version at that time.

Aside from that, if one goes the XPCreate route, stick to the free
version. That way, you will not be loosing anything next time the
author decides to disappear for a few months without a word or turning
the activity over to someone else in his absence.

As far as program vs. program though...... After leaving XPCreate, I
found that nLite had such a nice GUI who's dropdowns lead me by the
hand when it came to adding and deleting specific Windows applications
and Tweaks that I wanted to add or take out. This also made adding
personal & 3rd party drivers to the final mix very easy also plus the
added benefit of adding supported 3rd party applications to the final
mix.

Not to PooPoo XPCreate (the program), I just found nLite to offer a
needed GUI, tons more options, great support via RyanVM's add-ons and
an author that is present to support his creation or his second if he
is unavailable.

Regards,
Ed

Might be a damaged CD.In most cases checking and cleaning the disc is
the easiest way to overcome the problem.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

rider wrote:

> I am preparing to clean install Windows XP Home to a new hard drive. I
> am attempting to slipstream the original XP release with SP2 (on CD). I am
> using the method outlined on Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows:
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
>
> When copying the Windows XP installation CD to C: drive, the transfer
> proceeds nicely until it reaches the I386\LANG folder. An error message is
> returned:
> Cannot copy -: Data error (cyclic redundancy error),
> and the transfer stops.
> I can copy the XP installation CD folder by folder and file by file with
> the exception of two files, both located in the I386\LANG folder:
> MSIR3JP.DL_ 49 KB
> MSIR3JP.LE_ 683 KB
> Bulling through the remaining integration process reveals no problems
> though neither file appears in the newly created integrated Windows XP Home
> installation CD.
>
> I have yet to install the slipstreamed XP onto the new hard drive. But I
> have test installed the slipstreamed XP onto an older hard drive. I observe
> no problems with the installation or the operation of Windows.
> Still, something is that is supposed to be installed is not. I fear
> something will not work when needed. Just what is missing? How might Windows
> be effected? Does the newsgroup recommend that I install the deficit version
> of XP Home? Or perhaps I should try to obtain a replacement disk for my copy
> of Windows XP Home?

Thanks to the both of you for these leads. I'll spend some time this week
studying the programs and will probably create a customized installation CD.

Is there a method to apply one's own registry tweak into the installation CD
using these programs?

After a bit more research, it appears these files set up language support
for Japanese.

MSIR3JP.DL_ morphs into msir3jp.dll which is describes as a Japanese
wordbreaker and stemmer. MSIR3JP.LE_ morphs into msir3jp.lex which is a
Japanese dictionary. Both are installed into C:\windows\system32\dllcache.

I suspect neither will be missed.

Ed

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:05:24 GMT, "rider" <ridertimes@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>Is there a method to apply one's own registry tweak into the installation CD
>using these programs?

Yes. However, the GUI with nLite makes it a lot easier as you are
tweaking to the same interface as you would be via the OS interface
except here, you are doing it before the installation and having it
install the OS YOUR way from the get-go.

The nLite main section gives you these options:
1. Integrate a Service Pack
2. Integrate Hotfixes
3. Integrate Drivers
4. Remove Components
5. Unattended Setup
6. Patches
7. Tweaks
8. Create a Bootable ISO

When you select the "Tweaks" option, it shows you the same exact
interface that your OS would if tweaking it after installation. All
the same choices are there that you would find from the OS. Same for
the Remove Components option. Integrating Drivers and adding patches
takes a bit more manipulating but if I can do it, anyone can do it.
Integrating the Service Pack, Hotfixes, filling in the blanks for an
Unattended Setup are nothing more than filling in the required blanks.

You don't even have to figure out which hotfixes to implement. Just
use the RyanVM131 Post SP2 Hotfix Pack:

http://ryanvm.msfn.org/updatepack.html

and let nLite figure that out.

Its real easy to do and if you need help or have questions do a search
or add a question to the nLite forum at: