Upgrading a dell

Hey guys

Have just ordered a Dell for my parents - silver surfers to be :)

They are on a tight tight budget and I just couldnt bring myself to pay an
extra 100 quid for a measly extra 256 meg of ram.

Does anyone know how in the future the Dell can be upgraded ??

What I mean is - I build computers and am wondering say in 6 months time
maybe I want to add a cd burner or maybe some more ram ??

Are the customers allowed to install extras themselves ?? or are they
supposed to get Dell to do it for extra $$$

Thanks all :)

Simon

It's their computer, so they or you are free to do whatever they/you wish.
Dell will only support the original configuration and changes previously
approved by Dell.

Ted Zieglar

"xboxsnippets" <theplebismSPAM@otmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey guys
>
> Have just ordered a Dell for my parents - silver surfers to be :)
>
> They are on a tight tight budget and I just couldnt bring myself to pay an
> extra 100 quid for a measly extra 256 meg of ram.
>
> Does anyone know how in the future the Dell can be upgraded ??
>
> What I mean is - I build computers and am wondering say in 6 months time
> maybe I want to add a cd burner or maybe some more ram ??
>
> Are the customers allowed to install extras themselves ?? or are they
> supposed to get Dell to do it for extra $$$
>
> Thanks all :)
>
> Simon

Memory can be upgraded easily, and you need not buy from Dell - just make
sure you get good quality, exact-spec RAM.

"xboxsnippets" <theplebismSPAM@otmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey guys
>
> Have just ordered a Dell for my parents - silver surfers to be :)
>
> They are on a tight tight budget and I just couldnt bring myself to pay an
> extra 100 quid for a measly extra 256 meg of ram.
>
> Does anyone know how in the future the Dell can be upgraded ??
>
> What I mean is - I build computers and am wondering say in 6 months time
> maybe I want to add a cd burner or maybe some more ram ??
>
> Are the customers allowed to install extras themselves ?? or are they
> supposed to get Dell to do it for extra $$$
>
> Thanks all :)
>
> Simon

Glen

It's no problem to upgrade a Dell with third-party components. I put
Kingston RAM in my Dell desktop, and a Plextor DVD burner. As Edward says,
just be sure to get the right RAM modules when upgrading memory.