File sharing

a b D Laptop
August 28, 2005 11:26:47 AM

I hope someone can help? I'm trying to share a folder between Laptop and
home PC. I've got workgroup all set up (a friend has helped me and he knows
his stuff). On the "map network drive" on Laptop all is ok, but on main PC
we can't see the folder on Laptop, seems something is blocking it?

Using XP on both machines. Hope this is enough info for someone to suggest
what the problem is?

Many thanks

More about : file sharing

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2005 11:36:54 AM

Hi,

Is SP2 installed and is the firewall running on the laptop? If SP2 is not
installed, and the firewall is running, there is a known problem with file
sharing on a local lan that was resolved with SP2. If a third party firewall
is in use, then you may need to open up the ports to allow the file sharing.
See:

Internet firewalls can prevent browsing and file sharing
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298804

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Joe Bloggs" <alco@NOSPAMbigfoot.net> wrote in message
news:D erovm$s8g$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>I hope someone can help? I'm trying to share a folder between Laptop and
>home PC. I've got workgroup all set up (a friend has helped me and he knows
>his stuff). On the "map network drive" on Laptop all is ok, but on main PC
>we can't see the folder on Laptop, seems something is blocking it?
>
> Using XP on both machines. Hope this is enough info for someone to suggest
> what the problem is?
>
> Many thanks

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2005 11:37:47 AM

The folder is shared?
Right click, Sharing and Security,.....
--
Ron Sommer

"Joe Bloggs" <alco@NOSPAMbigfoot.net> wrote in message
news:D erovm$s8g$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>I hope someone can help? I'm trying to share a folder between Laptop and
>home PC. I've got workgroup all set up (a friend has helped me and he knows
>his stuff). On the "map network drive" on Laptop all is ok, but on main PC
>we can't see the folder on Laptop, seems something is blocking it?
>
> Using XP on both machines. Hope this is enough info for someone to suggest
> what the problem is?
>
> Many thanks

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2005 8:21:23 PM

Joe Bloggs wrote:
> I hope someone can help? I'm trying to share a folder between Laptop
> and home PC. I've got workgroup all set up (a friend has helped me
> and he knows his stuff). On the "map network drive" on Laptop all is
> ok, but on main PC we can't see the folder on Laptop, seems something
> is blocking it?
> Using XP on both machines. Hope this is enough info for someone to
> suggest what the problem is?
>

> Many thanks

If Rick's and/or Ron's suggestions don't work try...

Start/Run/ gpedit.msc/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local
Policies/Security Options...right pane....scroll down to "Network Access: do
not allow anonymous enumeration of Sam accounts and shares...if yours is
marked "enabled" try "disabled".

Jack
!