Best stereo system for home like wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayryan07

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
While staying in a nice hotel we used the Bose Wave system, easy to use & sounds excellent at high volume. Good at low or medium volume. It is also about $500.00! So, the question is, is there one comparable at a lower price? Blasting loud we have plenty of those units here at the house already. So.......?

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
people are insane sometimes..

$500 isnt all that bad of a price when you compare the other products available.
you could get a shelf system for about $300 - $400
but
the midranges might not sound as good.. and chances are they wont.
that extra $100 - $200 is for the midrange performance.

you have to remember that a system is basically an amplifier and speakers.
build one yourself and spend another extra $100 .. but the audio quality goes up again.

the reason bose continues to hold strong is because of their price to performance ratio.
they simply laugh at people who spend less and get less.
bose systems can be had.. and people flaunt about it all the time.
but
a lot of the people dont appear to be actually achieving the results they are expressing.

i know panasonic mini shelf units (the elegant ones) are competition to the bose systems.
the sony systems are ment to play louder and fill a bigger room.
but
generally their amps last, and that means you could get your own speakers as long as you respect the ohms rating.

if you want to find any competition, you need to be looking at the elegant designs that are ment to be in a lawyers office or something.
try finding one used or refurbished.. otherwise i expect them to be about the same price.
your mileage will vary.. some will have more or less bass, some with better or worse treble.

most people first complain about the midrange quality.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Use Nad or Rotel which is far better than Bose.

jayryan07

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Thanks for the help. I neglected to add, that it is for my wife for the most part, I have all my stuff, she doesn't listen to anything very loud any more. & it will be in a smaller room than the suite we were in. Something she can listen too with a remote for multifunction. I will write back when I have news on the unit I ordered.

jayryan07

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
I got the Teac GR-10i for about $40 from EBay, it has outstanding sound, plays as advertised & meets all the requirements (remote full function etc.) & the only real knock I have on it is that there appears to be no clean or maybe even effective way of increasing the antenna strength of the little whip that comes with it other than moving it to the best location for reception & or hanging the little mono filament cable (see generic) from the ceiling.

I have read about C Crane & others selling something like a reflective antenna, stripping back the wire & using an alligator clip.

Anyone got a smarter answer? There has to be something short of running cable to the roof antenna. Yes?

All help & advice is appreciated.

Thanks again.

phillipjos

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
cb-5 bookshelf 79.00 a pair reg 199 a set
ew-100 sub 225 powered 150.00 1/2 off
onkyo tx-sr-309 65@ 8 ohms 250 was 300.00
2 BIC America v62's and a huge center
this puppy thumps paid 75 for the 3 pc's

Status
Not open for further replies.