re xp pro clean install

August 29, 2005 12:25:49 AM

After a format then reinstall, it asks for my admin password, otherwise I
can't log in. Since I have formatted the h/d I would have thought that this
would have gone as well, I tried my original password but it doesn't work,
any clues??

More about : pro clean install

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 12:25:50 AM

Hi Peter,

If you formatted, then the old system no longer exists, so your password
from it wouldn't either. Unless you created a new password for the
administrator account in the new installation, there wouldn't be one so
hitting <enter> should be all you need to do.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"peter" <vorix@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> After a format then reinstall, it asks for my admin password, otherwise I
> can't log in. Since I have formatted the h/d I would have thought that
> this would have gone as well, I tried my original password but it doesn't
> work, any clues??

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 12:25:50 AM

peter wrote:
> After a format then reinstall, it asks for my admin password, otherwise I
> can't log in. Since I have formatted the h/d I would have thought that this
> would have gone as well, I tried my original password but it doesn't work,
> any clues??

WinXP Pro always asks you to create an Administrator password as part
of the installation routine. Simply use the password that you set when
you installed the OS. (It obviously cannot be the password you used on
a previous installation, if you truly formatted the hard drive.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm