Charlie

I suppose this has been asked before and I apologize if
it has. Perhaps you could direct me to the appropriate
message.

I am using a Microsoft Wireless-B Base Station MN-500. I
have three PCs, a network printer and a media center on
my home network. All three PC can connect to the Internet
and the network printer. Two of the PCs can see
everything on the network except the one computer (Lil-
Blue). Lil-Blue cannot see anything on the network. I
have file sharing and printer sharing turned On for all
computers. Lil-Blue has Windows XP as an operating system
as does one of the other PCs. The laptop is running Win
98 SE.

All three computers have the same workgroup name. One
strange thing is that all the units on the network have
TCP addresses like 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.2.11 except Lil-
Blue. The TCP address for it is 192.168.102.100. All
three PCs have DHCP enabled.

What do you think is wrong and how can I fix it?

Thanks,

joker

Well since the MN-100, MN-500, & MN-700 only give out a subnet mask of
255.255.255.0 or in binary 11111111.11111111.11111111.00000000 since the
IP address & subnet mask ar both read in binary.

Thus if one computer is handed a 192.168.2.* address it can only talk to
the computers that range from 192.168.2.1-254 (this is because the two
parts of the IP address, which is divided by the part of the subnet mask
that is all ones until the part that is all zeros, can not contain only
ones or zeros).

Also since the following is true the subnet mask on the computer with a
strange IP must not follow the standard set out for TCP/IP (please note
the numbers mentioned are the decimal version of the first octet of the
IP address).

Class A = 1-127 (default subnet = 255. 0 . 0 . 0 ) addresses =
16,777,214 (127 is reserved for the loopback)
Class B = 128-191 (default subnet = 255.255. 0 . 0 ) addresses = 65,534
Class C = 192-223 (default subnet = 255.255.255. 0 ) addresses = 254

I'd try a repair on the connection of the offending computer. If that
doesn't work assign it a static IP address outside the range of the DHCP
server, that is still a 192.168.2.* address, that is not in use.
Download SP2 for XP from one of the following sites if it is still there
when you read the post.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2top.mspx#XSLTsection132121120120
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

Charlie wrote:

> I suppose this has been asked before and I apologize if
> it has. Perhaps you could direct me to the appropriate
> message.
>
> I am using a Microsoft Wireless-B Base Station MN-500. I
> have three PCs, a network printer and a media center on
> my home network. All three PC can connect to the Internet
> and the network printer. Two of the PCs can see
> everything on the network except the one computer (Lil-
> Blue). Lil-Blue cannot see anything on the network. I
> have file sharing and printer sharing turned On for all
> computers. Lil-Blue has Windows XP as an operating system
> as does one of the other PCs. The laptop is running Win
> 98 SE.
>
> All three computers have the same workgroup name. One
> strange thing is that all the units on the network have
> TCP addresses like 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.2.11 except Lil-
> Blue. The TCP address for it is 192.168.102.100. All
> three PCs have DHCP enabled.
>
> What do you think is wrong and how can I fix it?
>
> Thanks,

TRENDING THREADS