Create partitions prior to XP install

I have a large hard disk and a card reader and 2 DVD Writers, It is terrible
to use disk mangement tools to create logical drives, format them, rename
them and re-assign the drive letters for all the drives.Is there any simple
way to create partitions and format them prior to the installation of XP?
Just like the old Win98, I can create and format as many as I like.

Hi,

During setup, you are not confined to creating just the installation
partition, you can create and format all you want. To change them on the fly
after installation you would use disk management or a third party tool.
WinXP's setup often does not like installation partitions created by drive
overlays, so I would caution against using them (third party partitioning
tools provided by the manufacturer are often of this type).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Cauchy Riemann" <CauchyRiemann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a large hard disk and a card reader and 2 DVD Writers, It is
>terrible
> to use disk mangement tools to create logical drives, format them, rename
> them and re-assign the drive letters for all the drives.Is there any
> simple
> way to create partitions and format them prior to the installation of XP?
> Just like the old Win98, I can create and format as many as I like.

You can use the Microsoft Windows XP Setup program or the Fdisk and
Format tools to partition and format System and startup partitions.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255867/

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Cauchy Riemann wrote:

> I have a large hard disk and a card reader and 2 DVD Writers, It is terrible
> to use disk mangement tools to create logical drives, format them, rename
> them and re-assign the drive letters for all the drives.Is there any simple
> way to create partitions and format them prior to the installation of XP?
> Just like the old Win98, I can create and format as many as I like.

"Cauchy Riemann" <CauchyRiemann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a large hard disk and a card reader and 2 DVD Writers, It is
terrible
> to use disk mangement tools to create logical drives, format them, rename
> them and re-assign the drive letters for all the drives.Is there any
simple
> way to create partitions and format them prior to the installation of XP?
> Just like the old Win98, I can create and format as many as I like.

Interesting pen name you use . . .

You need a third-party tool if you wish to partition and format
your disk prior to installing Windows. Most partition managers
will have this facility, e.g. Acronis or PowerQuest.

i've allways used bootit ng trial -your only supposed to use it for 30 days,
but i've had it on cd and floppy for awhile now- its very simple and you you
can do most anything you want with it-resize, image, slide partition, check
disk surface, multi os boot,backup partion to another partition, hide one
partition from the other,wipe,format 10,15 kinds(fat,ntfs,etc.)-thats off the
top of my head--its alowed me to try every operating system their is- and
believe me, i'm no expert with pc's--been working with computers less than a
year--works with all os's

"Cauchy Riemann" wrote:

> I have a large hard disk and a card reader and 2 DVD Writers, It is terrible
> to use disk mangement tools to create logical drives, format them, rename
> them and re-assign the drive letters for all the drives.Is there any simple
> way to create partitions and format them prior to the installation of XP?
> Just like the old Win98, I can create and format as many as I like.

very helpful--send me the money and i'll buy two--guess i never thought of
that since i'm disabled and its taken me till 48 to get a used old pc

"Donald L McDaniel" wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:07:04 -0700, "okeefe58"
> <okeefe58@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >i've allways used bootit ng trial -your only supposed to use it for 30 days,
> >but i've had it on cd and floppy for awhile now- its very simple and you you
> >can do most anything you want with it-resize, image, slide partition, check
> >disk surface, multi os boot,backup partion to another partition, hide one
> >partition from the other,wipe,format 10,15 kinds(fat,ntfs,etc.)-thats off the
> >top of my head--its alowed me to try every operating system their is- and
> >believe me, i'm no expert with pc's--been working with computers less than a
> >year--works with all os's
>
> Instead of getting free use of BootITNG beyond their original 30 days
> free trial, even including FULL functionality (the OTHER one doesn't
> offer FULL functionality in its trial), why don't you open your heart
> a little, and give the developers their $39.00. That's all they are
> asking for such a useful tool. Surely the tool is worth that much to
> you by now...
>
> >"Cauchy Riemann" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a large hard disk and a card reader and 2 DVD Writers, It is terrible
> >> to use disk mangement tools to create logical drives, format them, rename
> >> them and re-assign the drive letters for all the drives.Is there any simple
> >> way to create partitions and format them prior to the installation of XP?
> >> Just like the old Win98, I can create and format as many as I like.
>
> Use most any Partitioning Utility. The two leading ones are:
>
> Symantec's Partition Magic 8.x $69.00 -- includes free trial (30
> days) of GUI, but no functionality to carry out your selections.
> Terrabyte's BootITNG $39.00 -- includes free trial (30 days) of
> entire product, with full functionality.
>
> There are several others with greater or lesser functionality and
> price.
>
> Donald L McDaniel
> Please reply to the original thread.
> If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
> from my email address before sending.

Most people labeled their partition(s) in Win98/98SE/ME. This is and
continues to be an individual process.
You don't have to do all the partition drive letter reassignments if you do
it with the DVD etc. to prior to partitioning and formatting hard disk
space.
Msdos/95/98/98SE/ME all follow the partition letter designation hierarchy of
msdos. XP does not.
Creating and formatting partitions is plain faster in windows if the ide
port is properly setup, dma is very helpful with the hard drive.
"Cauchy Riemann" <CauchyRiemann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a large hard disk and a card reader and 2 DVD Writers, It is
terrible
> to use disk mangement tools to create logical drives, format them, rename
> them and re-assign the drive letters for all the drives.Is there any
simple
> way to create partitions and format them prior to the installation of XP?
> Just like the old Win98, I can create and format as many as I like.

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:05:12 -0700, "okeefe58"
<okeefe58@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>very helpful--send me the money and i'll buy two--guess i never thought of
>that since i'm disabled and its taken me till 48 to get a used old pc

I too am disabled, yet I have managed to find the money to pay for
programs I find useful all the time.