Further to my previous question regarding why my active desktop disappears
and the screen goes black when closing down windows within explorer.A posted
reply suggested spyware or malware.Can I emphasise that this problem was
evident before and after a new hard drive and fresh installation of xp was
performed.Can spyware still be the problem?

No not really. In that case of a new install it would be bad drivers. So I
would check that your hardware is compatible with Windows XP.

--
George Hester