using Treo as a USB drive?

November 13, 2004 4:38:02 PM

I'm thinking of buying the Treo 650 and adding a 1GB SM card. Would it
be possible to use the Treo as a USB drive hooked up to my Windows XP
box? I would rather not have to install any drivers on Windows. If it
is possible, would Windows be able to see both the SM card as well
as the Treo's internal flash memory?

Thanks for any info.

More about : treo usb drive

Anonymous
November 14, 2004 1:31:31 AM

On 13 Nov 2004 13:38:02 -0800, Digital Puer had this to say...

> I'm thinking of buying the Treo 650 and adding a 1GB SM card. Would it
> be possible to use the Treo as a USB drive hooked up to my Windows XP
> box? I would rather not have to install any drivers on Windows. If it
> is possible, would Windows be able to see both the SM card as well
> as the Treo's internal flash memory?
>
> Thanks for any info.

Not without installing drivers. All card readers require driver install.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:31:31 GMT, Jim Anderson wrote:

> On 13 Nov 2004 13:38:02 -0800, Digital Puer had this to say...
>

>> I'm thinking of buying the Treo 650 and adding a 1GB SM card. Would it
>> be possible to use the Treo as a USB drive hooked up to my Windows XP
>> box? I would rather not have to install any drivers on Windows. If it
>> is possible, would Windows be able to see both the SM card as well
>> as the Treo's internal flash memory?
>>
>> Thanks for any info.
>>

> Not without installing drivers. All card readers require driver install.

True - if you answer the letter of the question. Not entirely true, if
you answer the spirit of it.

--
Derek

Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the
odds beating you.
November 14, 2004 12:50:37 PM

On 13 Nov 2004 13:38:02 -0800, Digital Puer wrote:

> I'm thinking of buying the Treo 650 and adding a 1GB SM card. Would it
> be possible to use the Treo as a USB drive hooked up to my Windows XP
> box? I would rather not have to install any drivers on Windows. If it
> is possible, would Windows be able to see both the SM card as well
> as the Treo's internal flash memory?
>
> Thanks for any info.

I'm guess that when you say "not have to install any drivers on
Windows" what you really mean is that you don't want to have to carry
around a mini-CD with the drivers which you have to install before you
can connect your Treo as a USB drive.

All USB flash drives require drivers on the PC. With Windows ME, 2000
and XP, those drivers are already on the hard drive. So when you stick
in a USB drive, Windows will automatically load up the internal
drivers so it can work.

Now, Windows 98 would require drivers to be installed on the desktop.
Those drivers simply didn't ship with Win98. Every USB thumbdrive I've
bought included a mini-CD with drivers for Windows 98.

Windows 95, of course, wouldn't work at all because USB support on
Win95 is a joke.

But, back to the question at hand.

Now, the question is whether or not there's a piece of software
that'll work on the Treo 650 to accomplish this. I thought perhaps
Softick's CardExport II, but I wasn't sure if it'll work on a Treo
650.

Then I found this:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/353-1.htm

--
Derek

"Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of sXXXch, or the
right of the people peaceably to XXXemble, and to peXXXion the
government for a redress of grievances."
--but your ISP might.
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 3:16:39 PM

digital_puer@hotmail.com (Digital Puer) wrote:
>I'm thinking of buying the Treo 650 and adding a 1GB SM card. Would it
>be possible to use the Treo as a USB drive hooked up to my Windows XP
>box?

No. While there _are_ drivers that'll allow Palm devices to act as a
USB drive on your XP machine, they aren't intrinsic to XP, like thumb
drive USB drivers are. If this is your primary Palm criteria, the T5
does have two modes it can operate in, either as a Palm device which
wants Hotsyncing, or as a USB thumb-drive-emulation which will cause
it's "built-in" flash-drive to work like a thumb drive.
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 5:26:54 PM

Derek <news@gwinn.us> wrote in message news:<1ngibnr4jwj3w$.dlg@gwinn.us>...
> On 13 Nov 2004 13:38:02 -0800, Digital Puer wrote:
>
> > I'm thinking of buying the Treo 650 and adding a 1GB SM card. Would it
> > be possible to use the Treo as a USB drive hooked up to my Windows XP
> > box? I would rather not have to install any drivers on Windows. If it
> > is possible, would Windows be able to see both the SM card as well
> > as the Treo's internal flash memory?
> >
> > Thanks for any info.
>
> I'm guess that when you say "not have to install any drivers on
> Windows" what you really mean is that you don't want to have to carry
> around a mini-CD with the drivers which you have to install before you
> can connect your Treo as a USB drive.
>
> All USB flash drives require drivers on the PC. With Windows ME, 2000
> and XP, those drivers are already on the hard drive. So when you stick
> in a USB drive, Windows will automatically load up the internal
> drivers so it can work.

Yes, thank you, that is exactly what I meant. That is why I mentioned
Windows XP (knowing full well that XP/2000 already have the USB mass
storage drivers installed) instead of, say, Windows 3.11.

> Now, the question is whether or not there's a piece of software
> that'll work on the Treo 650 to accomplish this. I thought perhaps
> Softick's CardExport II, but I wasn't sure if it'll work on a Treo
> 650.
>
> Then I found this:
>
> http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/353-1.htm

Thanks again. I think this CardExport II is exactly what I was looking for.
The Treo is going to be one great swiss-army knife of a PDA.
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 5:29:28 PM

Jim Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.1c00472796301f4498990b@news.frontiernet.net>...
> On 13 Nov 2004 13:38:02 -0800, Digital Puer had this to say...
>

> > I'm thinking of buying the Treo 650 and adding a 1GB SM card. Would it
> > be possible to use the Treo as a USB drive hooked up to my Windows XP
> > box? I would rather not have to install any drivers on Windows. If it
> > is possible, would Windows be able to see both the SM card as well
> > as the Treo's internal flash memory?
> >
> > Thanks for any info.
> >

> Not without installing drivers. All card readers require driver install.

Thank you for the pedantic reply. If you've ever used Windows XP or 2000,
you'd know that they come with the USB drivers already installed. Are
you stuck in 1996 or something?
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 6:02:26 PM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:16:39 -0500, William P.N. Smith wrote:

> digital_puer@hotmail.com (Digital Puer) wrote:
>>I'm thinking of buying the Treo 650 and adding a 1GB SM card. Would it
>>be possible to use the Treo as a USB drive hooked up to my Windows XP
>>box?
>
> No. While there _are_ drivers that'll allow Palm devices to act as a
> USB drive on your XP machine, they aren't intrinsic to XP, like thumb
> drive USB drivers are. If this is your primary Palm criteria, the T5
> does have two modes it can operate in, either as a Palm device which
> wants Hotsyncing, or as a USB thumb-drive-emulation which will cause
> it's "built-in" flash-drive to work like a thumb drive.

Card Export II does. On Windows XP it functions just like a USB Mass
Storage device. Presumably it does the same on WinME and Win2k.

The downloaded Zip includes drivers for Windows 98, which does not
have default USB Mass Storage drivers.

--
Derek

It's lonely at the top.
But it's comforting to look down upon everyone at the bottom.
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 7:47:31 PM

On 14 Nov 2004 14:26:54 -0800, Digital Puer wrote:

> Derek <news@gwinn.us> wrote in message news:<1ngibnr4jwj3w$.dlg@gwinn.us>...
>> On 13 Nov 2004 13:38:02 -0800, Digital Puer wrote:
>>
>>> I'm thinking of buying the Treo 650 and adding a 1GB SM card. Would it
>>> be possible to use the Treo as a USB drive hooked up to my Windows XP
>>> box? I would rather not have to install any drivers on Windows. If it
>>> is possible, would Windows be able to see both the SM card as well
>>> as the Treo's internal flash memory?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any info.
>>
>> I'm guess that when you say "not have to install any drivers on
>> Windows" what you really mean is that you don't want to have to carry
>> around a mini-CD with the drivers which you have to install before you
>> can connect your Treo as a USB drive.
>>
>> All USB flash drives require drivers on the PC. With Windows ME, 2000
>> and XP, those drivers are already on the hard drive. So when you stick
>> in a USB drive, Windows will automatically load up the internal
>> drivers so it can work.
>
> Yes, thank you, that is exactly what I meant. That is why I mentioned
> Windows XP (knowing full well that XP/2000 already have the USB mass
> storage drivers installed) instead of, say, Windows 3.11.

Well, Windows 3.11 doesn't support USB at all, so... ;)

>> Now, the question is whether or not there's a piece of software
>> that'll work on the Treo 650 to accomplish this. I thought perhaps
>> Softick's CardExport II, but I wasn't sure if it'll work on a Treo
>> 650.
>>
>> Then I found this:
>>
>> http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/353-1.htm
>
> Thanks again. I think this CardExport II is exactly what I was looking for.
> The Treo is going to be one great swiss-army knife of a PDA.

I hope it works on the 650. The story is about the 600. That might be
enough of a difference to throw you off.

One thing I've discovered, just in advanced warning. When first
connecting with any XP computer, I had to connect, then disconnect and
then connect again before the "drive" showed up the first time. Every
time after that, I just had to connect.

--
Derek

Scintillate, scintillate globule vivific
Fain would I fathom thy nature specific
Loftily perched in the ether capacious
Strongly resembling a gem carbonaceous.
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 11:30:29 PM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:50:37 -0600, Derek had this to say...

> On 13 Nov 2004 13:38:02 -0800, Digital Puer wrote:
>
> > I'm thinking of buying the Treo 650 and adding a 1GB SM card. Would it
> > be possible to use the Treo as a USB drive hooked up to my Windows XP
> > box? I would rather not have to install any drivers on Windows. If it
> > is possible, would Windows be able to see both the SM card as well
> > as the Treo's internal flash memory?
> >
> > Thanks for any info.
>
> I'm guess that when you say "not have to install any drivers on
> Windows" what you really mean is that you don't want to have to carry
> around a mini-CD with the drivers which you have to install before you
> can connect your Treo as a USB drive.
>
> All USB flash drives require drivers on the PC. With Windows ME, 2000
> and XP, those drivers are already on the hard drive. So when you stick
> in a USB drive, Windows will automatically load up the internal
> drivers so it can work.
>
> Now, Windows 98 would require drivers to be installed on the desktop.
> Those drivers simply didn't ship with Win98. Every USB thumbdrive I've
> bought included a mini-CD with drivers for Windows 98.
>
> Windows 95, of course, wouldn't work at all because USB support on
> Win95 is a joke.
>

> But, back to the question at hand.
>
> Now, the question is whether or not there's a piece of software
> that'll work on the Treo 650 to accomplish this. I thought perhaps
> Softick's CardExport II, but I wasn't sure if it'll work on a Treo
> 650.
>
> Then I found this:
>
> http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/353-1.htm

But that is a program you must load on the target PC, which the OP can't
or does not want to.
Your post had more words but said the same thing as I, "no!".

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 11:30:30 PM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:30:29 GMT, Jim Anderson wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:50:37 -0600, Derek had this to say...
>

>> On 13 Nov 2004 13:38:02 -0800, Digital Puer wrote:
>>
>>> I'm thinking of buying the Treo 650 and adding a 1GB SM card. Would it
>>> be possible to use the Treo as a USB drive hooked up to my Windows XP
>>> box? I would rather not have to install any drivers on Windows. If it
>>> is possible, would Windows be able to see both the SM card as well
>>> as the Treo's internal flash memory?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any info.
>>
>> I'm guess that when you say "not have to install any drivers on
>> Windows" what you really mean is that you don't want to have to carry
>> around a mini-CD with the drivers which you have to install before you
>> can connect your Treo as a USB drive.
>>
>> All USB flash drives require drivers on the PC. With Windows ME, 2000
>> and XP, those drivers are already on the hard drive. So when you stick
>> in a USB drive, Windows will automatically load up the internal
>> drivers so it can work.
>>
>> Now, Windows 98 would require drivers to be installed on the desktop.
>> Those drivers simply didn't ship with Win98. Every USB thumbdrive I've
>> bought included a mini-CD with drivers for Windows 98.
>>
>> Windows 95, of course, wouldn't work at all because USB support on
>> Win95 is a joke.
>>

>> But, back to the question at hand.
>>
>> Now, the question is whether or not there's a piece of software
>> that'll work on the Treo 650 to accomplish this. I thought perhaps
>> Softick's CardExport II, but I wasn't sure if it'll work on a Treo
>> 650.
>>
>> Then I found this:
>>
>> http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/353-1.htm
>>

> But that is a program you must load on the target PC, which the OP can't
> or does not want to.

You are thinking of Card Export. I was referring to Card Export II.

Card Export II uses the default "USB Mass Storage" drivers. Version 1
required you to install a special driver on the desktop computer.
Version 2 doesn't.

> Your post had more words but said the same thing as I, "no!".

And yet, while being brief and technically accurate, you failed to
answer the question.

--
Derek

"A real star, the kind who haunts my memory night and day is the U.S.
soldier in Baghdad who saw a little girl playing with a piece of
unexploded ordinance . . . He pushed her aside and threw himself on it
just as it exploded." - Ben Stein
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 11:32:51 PM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:16:39 -0500, William P.N. Smith had this to
say...

> digital_puer@hotmail.com (Digital Puer) wrote:
> >I'm thinking of buying the Treo 650 and adding a 1GB SM card. Would it
> >be possible to use the Treo as a USB drive hooked up to my Windows XP
> >box?
>
> No. While there _are_ drivers that'll allow Palm devices to act as a
> USB drive on your XP machine, they aren't intrinsic to XP, like thumb
> drive USB drivers are. If this is your primary Palm criteria, the T5
> does have two modes it can operate in, either as a Palm device which
> wants Hotsyncing, or as a USB thumb-drive-emulation which will cause
> it's "built-in" flash-drive to work like a thumb drive.

I am aware of the 'flash drive mode', but assumed it required PalmOne
drivers and was not operable with WinXP std drivers.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 2:57:00 AM

On 14 Nov 2004 14:29:28 -0800, Digital Puer had this to say...

> Thank you for the pedantic reply. If you've ever used Windows XP or 2000,
> you'd know that they come with the USB drivers already installed. Are
> you stuck in 1996 or something?

_
/'_/)
,/_ /