keaja

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Hey everyone,
First I woud like to say Hi, I am a big reader of tomshardware, and finally just joined the message board.

I can't wait for the Hammer to release, and I have been growing anxious for its debute. The only info I have been able to find, is that it will be released 2nd Quarter, 2003. I was wondering if anyone has any more specific information, like being released in october, maybe even september?

And my other question is this, there are two AMD 64's coming out according to AMD's website. The Clawhammer, 130nm SOI, and the San Diego, 90nm SOI. Could someone explain to me what #NM SOI means?
And what the difference between these two models will be?

Thanks!
Jason

Pirox

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
The athlon 64 which is the 754-pin version with single channel memory support will be released at the 23rd of september...

As for san diego it will be the dualchannel version which we will see next year. Both will be produced with SOI that is Silicon on Isolator meaning a very high resistance against leakages in the core that will allow cooler chips that can be clocked higher.

---
If you go to work and your name is on the door, you're rich. If your name is on your desk, you're middle class. If your name is on your shirt, you're poor!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pirox on 09/15/03 05:38 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The #nm SOI means what physical process the chip is manufactured with. 130nm means the distance between the interconnects in the chips is 130 nanometers. Smaller is better because it reduces thermal losses, allowing for higher clock speeds. SOI means silicon-on-insulator, which is a way of putting the transistor silicon junction on top of an insulating material, which allows for faster chip speeds. For detailed information on it just to a google search.

-------------------------------------------
<font color=blue> "Trying is the first step towards failure." </font color=blue>

keaja

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Man, that sucks that I will have to wait till next year for dual channel memory support, Ill still get the single channel support to hold me over till next year.

If it is released the 23rd, does that mean Newegg and such will have it then, or will that be the date it ships to retailers?

Thanks!

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
SOI is simply when the "switch" turns off so do all the atoms thus no electrical gate leakage. There are yield issues with it but no one ever mentions that and costs... nearly 2x cost increases.

-Jeremy

:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6940439" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:
:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1228088" target="_new">Busting More Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by spud on 09/16/03 03:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

endyen

Splendid
SOI is simply when the "switch" turns off so do all the atoms
That would be a good trick, it"s called absolute zero, or the point where all atomic activity stops. Do you mean whole or electron flow? That is what happens when a switch is turned off. The main advantage to SOI is that current is inhibited from leaking, it's called reduced leakage current. BTW the "thermal loses mentioned above are resistive loses. The main reason for smaller is to reduce resistive losses so that the chip can run at a lower voltage. Since power equals voltage times current, current resistance (called IR)loses are reduced. Unfortunately with size reduction you tend to get current leakage between conductors, which ads to heat and errors.