HP Model 6735 CPU upgrade.

I have an HP Pavilion model 6735. I came with Celeron 633MHz Socket 370
FC-PGA CPU . I'd like to upgrade to the fastest provessor that this machine
can support, but I don't know what that is. I checked with HP support and
they told me the best I could do is a 667 MHz upgrade. Any help
appreciated.

Your system is out of warranty, so whatever HP says about its support for faster
processors is irrelevant. In short, you are on your own.

Here is some useful information:

The fastest 66MHz Celeron runs at 766MHz. It runs at the same voltage as the
633MHz Celeron. It will draw a little more current than the 633MHz processor,
but should not tax the other system electronics. However, an increase in speed
from 633MHz to 766MHz is barely noticable at 15%, diluted by the fact that all
the other important elements (memory, hard disk) of the system still run at the
same speed.

The system uses an Intel 810L chipset on the motherboard. This chipset also
handles processors with 100MHz front side bus. Celerons up to 1.1GHz run at the
same voltage (1.65v or 1.7v) as the 633MHz Celeron. As long as a replacement
CPU runs at the same voltage, it will be electronically compatible with the
motherboard.

When installing a faster CPU, I would be more concerned as to whether or not the
HP BIOS will refuse to boot with a CPU that it does not recognize. So a BIOS
limitation may stop you from installing a faster CPU.

How much memory is installed in the system? If the amount is the original 64MB
or even 128MB, you would get a lot for your money by upgrading the system to at
least 256MB. You would need non-parity 168-pin PC100 DIMM memory with
low-density memory chips. With as little as 64MB of memory, Windows needs to
use the system swap file to make room for programs and data as you use them.
This can slow a system way down. With each Windows release (95, 98, ME, 2000,
XP), Windows code has become ever more bloated, causing more swap file activity
to accomplish the same task. Microsoft Office has become more and more bloated,
too... Ben Myers