Formatting harddrive

August 28, 2005 9:25:16 AM

Can someone please tell me how to reformat from XP Home edition? I'm trying
to install XP Pro but when I put the disc in it tells me that the version on
my computer is newer than the one I'm trying to install and can't continue.
I just want to wipe my hard drive clean and start over

Thank You
--
Jacalyn

More about : formatting harddrive

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 10:32:14 AM

Jacalyn wrote:

> Can someone please tell me how to reformat from XP Home edition? I'm
> trying to install XP Pro but when I put the disc in it tells me that
> the version on my computer is newer than the one I'm trying to
> install and can't continue.

That's presumably because you have SP2 installed but your XP Professional CD
is without it. It won't let you upgrade to an older version.

> I just want to wipe my hard drive clean
> and start over

I strongly recommend upgrading rather than clean installing (XP Home to XP
Professional is the easiest and most-likely successful of all possible
upgrades; there are ways around the older version problem) but if you insist
on a clean installation, read below:

You can't format the Windows drive from within Windows, since that would
leave Windows without a leg to stand on.

Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if necessary to
accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean installation (delete the
existing partition by pressing "D" when prompted, then create a new one).

You can find detailed instructions here:

or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Boot from the CD and install it that way.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Jacalyn" <Jacalyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can someone please tell me how to reformat from XP Home edition? I'm
> trying
> to install XP Pro but when I put the disc in it tells me that the version
> on
> my computer is newer than the one I'm trying to install and can't
> continue.
> I just want to wipe my hard drive clean and start over
>
> Thank You
> --
> Jacalyn
August 28, 2005 1:06:48 PM

Hi,

Don't start from within the existing installation. The error message occurs
because setup sees the installed service packs and knows that it is updated
beyond the version on the CD. You need to boot from the CD and start the
installer. Then, at the point y

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jacalyn" <Jacalyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can someone please tell me how to reformat from XP Home edition? I'm
> trying
> to install XP Pro but when I put the disc in it tells me that the version
> on
> my computer is newer than the one I'm trying to install and can't
> continue.
> I just want to wipe my hard drive clean and start over
>
> Thank You
> --
> Jacalyn
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 1:06:49 PM

That did it :-) I had to change the bios to boot from the cdrom drive and it
worked!

Thanks guys :-)
--
Jacalyn

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Don't start from within the existing installation. The error message occurs
> because setup sees the installed service packs and knows that it is updated
> beyond the version on the CD. You need to boot from the CD and start the
> installer. Then, at the point y
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Jacalyn" <Jacalyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can someone please tell me how to reformat from XP Home edition? I'm
> > trying
> > to install XP Pro but when I put the disc in it tells me that the version
> > on
> > my computer is newer than the one I'm trying to install and can't
> > continue.
> > I just want to wipe my hard drive clean and start over
> >
> > Thank You
> > --
> > Jacalyn

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 1:08:15 PM

Don't start from within the existing installation. The error message occurs
because setup sees the installed service packs and knows that it is updated
beyond the version on the CD. You need to boot from the CD and start the
installer. Then, at the point where you choose the installation location
instead delete the existing system partition. Create a new one from the free
space, then format and proceed with installation.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jacalyn" <Jacalyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can someone please tell me how to reformat from XP Home edition? I'm
> trying
> to install XP Pro but when I put the disc in it tells me that the version
> on
> my computer is newer than the one I'm trying to install and can't
> continue.
> I just want to wipe my hard drive clean and start over
>
> Thank You
> --
> Jacalyn
August 28, 2005 3:52:14 PM

"Jacalyn" <Jacalyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can someone please tell me how to reformat from XP Home edition? I'm
> trying
> to install XP Pro but when I put the disc in it tells me that the version
> on
> my computer is newer than the one I'm trying to install and can't
> continue.
> I just want to wipe my hard drive clean and start over
>
> Thank You

Slipstream the XP pro to SP2.
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 10:11:45 PM