Watch do I look out for when testing AMD's?

In front of me I have:

130 x DURON 800
20 x DURON 850
100 x DURON 1000
20 x DURON 1200
35 x ATHLON 1000
30 x ATHLON 1100
10 x ATHLON 1133
100 x ATHLON 1200
65 x ATHLON 1300
20 x ATHLON 1333
130 x ATHLON 1400
40 x ATHLON 1600
40 x ATHLON 1700
180 x ATHLON 1800XP
50 x ATHLON 1900XP
30 x ATHLON 2000XP

Now, before I start testing them to make sure they work, (they are all returns). Is there any pointers you guys can give in things to look out for.
I know some of the XP chips have problems with heatsink solution going into the breather holes? am I right?

Basically any hints would be appreciated.

Gel
4 answers Last reply
More about watch testing
  1. are they your cpus or are you testing them for a company? if they are yours dont bother testing them just sell the whole lot as a bundle on ebay.. you should get a bundle for them. if they arent yours dont worry too much about which heatsink and which thermal compound to use. i would suggest you just fire them up in an open system.. if they post chances are they are ok. just use a hsf that is easy to get on and off and doesnt stress the board too much and you should be ok
  2. Thermal compound is thermal compound unless you are trying to overclock pretty far. Just make sure the heat sink is seated well and make sure the chips dont have a bevel, if any chips are cracked I'd leave them totally alone. Make sure you don't use to much thermal compound because that is generally what makes it go places it shouldnt be. It should just be an extremely thin layer.

Shadus<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by shadus on 09/15/03 11:37 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
  3. When you say Bevel do you mean bent slightly, or chipped on the IC (where the heatsink meets the chip)

Gel
  4. A better way to have said it would have been watch for chips or heat sinks that aren't completely flat or at least visibily flat (there is a big difference between visually flat and truely flat.)

Shadus
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Duron