Still cannot get zone alarm to work!

back here on my new hp laptop-have xp sp2 on here.
Have tried repeatedly to install zone alarm 5.5.94.0 with the following
problems occuring when I do.

A zone.com window pops up on boot up with a zone deluxe games folder in the
window-this does not happen after I unistall zone alarm even though I know
you guys say zone games is a "windows thing " and not a "zone alarm thing".

The zone alarm icon is not showing up down in the taskbar and until I
unistall zone alarm, I cannot download my email via outlook express .
With zone alarm "supposedly" running- my windows firewall gets ticked off
and even though I tick it back on, it automatically ticks off again until I
unistall zone alarm.
Just what the heck is going on here-is it something with this hp pavillion
laptop?
5 answers Last reply
More about still zone alarm work

    First, It's not recommended to run 2 firewalls. It never works out
    right. Keep windows firewall off. So, from what you said the zone
    alarm icon doesn't show up until after you un-install ?? Try doing a
    full uninstall, delete the zone alarm directory. There might be a
    /Zonelab directory in your /System32 directory. Kill that too and try
    a re-install.

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 05:31:10 -0700, "Loveembirds"
    <Loveembirds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >back here on my new hp laptop-have xp sp2 on here.
    >Have tried repeatedly to install zone alarm 5.5.94.0 with the following
    >problems occuring when I do.
    >
    > A zone.com window pops up on boot up with a zone deluxe games folder in the
    >window-this does not happen after I unistall zone alarm even though I know
    >you guys say zone games is a "windows thing " and not a "zone alarm thing".
    >
    >The zone alarm icon is not showing up down in the taskbar and until I
    >unistall zone alarm, I cannot download my email via outlook express .
    > With zone alarm "supposedly" running- my windows firewall gets ticked off
    >and even though I tick it back on, it automatically ticks off again until I
    >unistall zone alarm.
    >Just what the heck is going on here-is it something with this hp pavillion
    >laptop?

    Thanks for replying Tony,

    I tried turning off windows firewall also while zone alarm was supposed to
    be installed and still could not use my email client.
    The zone alarm icon does not show up after installing it, I am at a loss
    here.
    I have unistalled zone alarm several times through my start up programs
    menu, are you saying there is somewhere else I need to work on it too-how do
    I get to my
    System32 directory? Sorry but, am a bit computer challenged at times .
    :<()
    "Tony Lisanti" wrote:

    > First, It's not recommended to run 2 firewalls. It never works out
    > right. Keep windows firewall off. So, from what you said the zone
    > alarm icon doesn't show up until after you un-install ?? Try doing a
    > full uninstall, delete the zone alarm directory. There might be a
    > /Zonelab directory in your /System32 directory. Kill that too and try
    > a re-install.
    >

    > On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 05:31:10 -0700, "Loveembirds"
    > <Loveembirds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >back here on my new hp laptop-have xp sp2 on here.
    > >Have tried repeatedly to install zone alarm 5.5.94.0 with the following
    > >problems occuring when I do.
    > >
    > > A zone.com window pops up on boot up with a zone deluxe games folder in the
    > >window-this does not happen after I unistall zone alarm even though I know
    > >you guys say zone games is a "windows thing " and not a "zone alarm thing".
    > >
    > >The zone alarm icon is not showing up down in the taskbar and until I
    > >unistall zone alarm, I cannot download my email via outlook express .
    > > With zone alarm "supposedly" running- my windows firewall gets ticked off
    > >and even though I tick it back on, it automatically ticks off again until I
    > >unistall zone alarm.
    > >Just what the heck is going on here-is it something with this hp pavillion
    > >laptop?

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 13:07:02 -0700, "Loveembirds"
    <Loveembirds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have unistalled zone alarm several times through my start up programs
    >menu

    You really need to do a "CLEAN" uninstall of this beast in order to
    get a "Fresh" new install. Its sort of like trying to get rid of
    anything Norton or Symantec off your system for a "Fresh" new
    install.....

    Click on Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs. RIGHT-click on Uninstall Zone
    Labs Security, then select Properties. Under Target you will see the
    following line (the actual drive may be different on your system):

    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe"

    Change it to:

    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean

    (add a space and then the /clean).

    Click OK to save the new command line. Click on Start -> Programs ->
    Zone Labs -> Uninstall Zone Labs Security. Click OK to run the
    uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that pop up. Say "Yes when
    being prompted for the removal of all files. This will get rid of
    ZoneAlarm for you. Now go to your C:\WINDOWS\Temp folder and delete
    everything with the name ZLT* (ZLT followed by anything). Do not
    delete files unless they are Zone Labs files. Then find the folder
    named C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs. RIGHT-click and delete the whole
    folder. For Windows XP: clean your C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch folder. Clean
    the history in Internet Explorer or your current browser, clean the
    cookies. Then empty your recycle bin. Reboot. ZoneAlarm should be
    gone.

    Now Install ZA again making sure you select "New" install when
    prompted.

    Hope this helps....
    Ed

    There is actually a very simple solution to this problem.

    Open Windows Explorer file utility (or through My Computer). Open the
    Program Files folder. Open the Zone.com folder. Move the Zone Deluxe
    folder over to the Program Files folder. Delete the Zone.com folder.
    Reboot.

    Zone Alarm should now install and run correctly. If not, or if you have
    messed with the Zone Alarm settings, now you can uninstall and reinstall
    it, and it should work.

    HP/Compaq provides Zone.com Games for your enjoyment... The fact that
    it just happens to conflict with the use of Zone Alarm (which competes
    with Windows Firewall) is somewhat suspicious. I don't know why Zone
    Labs hasn't provided a fix for that.....

    --
    luxeterna

    There is a fix. It is Zone Alarm 6.

    "luxeterna" <luxeterna.1vev1t@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > There is actually a very simple solution to this problem.
    >
    > Open Windows Explorer file utility (or through My Computer). Open the
    > Program Files folder. Open the Zone.com folder. Move the Zone Deluxe
    > folder over to the Program Files folder. Delete the Zone.com folder.
    > Reboot.
    >
    > Zone Alarm should now install and run correctly. If not, or if you have
    > messed with the Zone Alarm settings, now you can uninstall and reinstall
    > it, and it should work.
    >
    > HP/Compaq provides Zone.com Games for your enjoyment... The fact that
    > it just happens to conflict with the use of Zone Alarm (which competes
    > with Windows Firewall) is somewhat suspicious. I don't know why Zone
    > Labs hasn't provided a fix for that.....
    >
    > Loveembirds Wrote:
    >> back here on my new hp laptop-have xp sp2 on here.
    >> Have tried repeatedly to install zone alarm 5.5.94.0 with the
    >> following
    >> problems occuring when I do.
    >>
    >> A zone.com window pops up on boot up with a zone deluxe games folder in
    >> the
    >> window-this does not happen after I unistall zone alarm even though I
    >> know
    >> you guys say zone games is a "windows thing " and not a "zone alarm
    >> thing".
    >>
    >> The zone alarm icon is not showing up down in the taskbar and until I
    >> unistall zone alarm, I cannot download my email via outlook express .
    >> With zone alarm "supposedly" running- my windows firewall gets ticked
    >> off
    >> and even though I tick it back on, it automatically ticks off again
    >> until I
    >> unistall zone alarm.
    >> Just what the heck is going on here-is it something with this hp
    >> pavillion
    >> laptop?
    >

    > --
    > luxeterna