back here on my new hp laptop-have xp sp2 on here.
Have tried repeatedly to install zone alarm 5.5.94.0 with the following
problems occuring when I do.

A zone.com window pops up on boot up with a zone deluxe games folder in the
window-this does not happen after I unistall zone alarm even though I know
you guys say zone games is a "windows thing " and not a "zone alarm thing".

The zone alarm icon is not showing up down in the taskbar and until I
unistall zone alarm, I cannot download my email via outlook express .
With zone alarm "supposedly" running- my windows firewall gets ticked off
and even though I tick it back on, it automatically ticks off again until I
unistall zone alarm.
Just what the heck is going on here-is it something with this hp pavillion
laptop?

First, It's not recommended to run 2 firewalls. It never works out
right. Keep windows firewall off. So, from what you said the zone
alarm icon doesn't show up until after you un-install ?? Try doing a
full uninstall, delete the zone alarm directory. There might be a
/Zonelab directory in your /System32 directory. Kill that too and try
a re-install.

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 05:31:10 -0700, "Loveembirds"
<Loveembirds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>back here on my new hp laptop-have xp sp2 on here.
>Have tried repeatedly to install zone alarm 5.5.94.0 with the following
>problems occuring when I do.
>
> A zone.com window pops up on boot up with a zone deluxe games folder in the
>window-this does not happen after I unistall zone alarm even though I know
>you guys say zone games is a "windows thing " and not a "zone alarm thing".
>
>The zone alarm icon is not showing up down in the taskbar and until I
>unistall zone alarm, I cannot download my email via outlook express .
> With zone alarm "supposedly" running- my windows firewall gets ticked off
>and even though I tick it back on, it automatically ticks off again until I
>unistall zone alarm.
>Just what the heck is going on here-is it something with this hp pavillion
>laptop?

Thanks for replying Tony,

I tried turning off windows firewall also while zone alarm was supposed to
be installed and still could not use my email client.
The zone alarm icon does not show up after installing it, I am at a loss
here.
I have unistalled zone alarm several times through my start up programs
menu, are you saying there is somewhere else I need to work on it too-how do
I get to my
System32 directory? Sorry but, am a bit computer challenged at times .
:<()
"Tony Lisanti" wrote:

> First, It's not recommended to run 2 firewalls. It never works out
> right. Keep windows firewall off. So, from what you said the zone
> alarm icon doesn't show up until after you un-install ?? Try doing a
> full uninstall, delete the zone alarm directory. There might be a
> /Zonelab directory in your /System32 directory. Kill that too and try
> a re-install.
>

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 05:31:10 -0700, "Loveembirds"
> <Loveembirds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >back here on my new hp laptop-have xp sp2 on here.
> >Have tried repeatedly to install zone alarm 5.5.94.0 with the following
> >problems occuring when I do.
> >
> > A zone.com window pops up on boot up with a zone deluxe games folder in the
> >window-this does not happen after I unistall zone alarm even though I know
> >you guys say zone games is a "windows thing " and not a "zone alarm thing".
> >
> >The zone alarm icon is not showing up down in the taskbar and until I
> >unistall zone alarm, I cannot download my email via outlook express .
> > With zone alarm "supposedly" running- my windows firewall gets ticked off
> >and even though I tick it back on, it automatically ticks off again until I
> >unistall zone alarm.
> >Just what the heck is going on here-is it something with this hp pavillion
> >laptop?

Ed

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 13:07:02 -0700, "Loveembirds"
<Loveembirds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have unistalled zone alarm several times through my start up programs
>menu

You really need to do a "CLEAN" uninstall of this beast in order to
get a "Fresh" new install. Its sort of like trying to get rid of
anything Norton or Symantec off your system for a "Fresh" new
install.....

Click on Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs. RIGHT-click on Uninstall Zone
Labs Security, then select Properties. Under Target you will see the
following line (the actual drive may be different on your system):

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe"

Change it to:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean

(add a space and then the /clean).

Click OK to save the new command line. Click on Start -> Programs ->
Zone Labs -> Uninstall Zone Labs Security. Click OK to run the
uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that pop up. Say "Yes when
being prompted for the removal of all files. This will get rid of
ZoneAlarm for you. Now go to your C:\WINDOWS\Temp folder and delete
everything with the name ZLT* (ZLT followed by anything). Do not
delete files unless they are Zone Labs files. Then find the folder
named C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs. RIGHT-click and delete the whole
folder. For Windows XP: clean your C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch folder. Clean
the history in Internet Explorer or your current browser, clean the
cookies. Then empty your recycle bin. Reboot. ZoneAlarm should be
gone.

Now Install ZA again making sure you select "New" install when
prompted.

Hope this helps....
Ed

There is actually a very simple solution to this problem.

Open Windows Explorer file utility (or through My Computer). Open the
Program Files folder. Open the Zone.com folder. Move the Zone Deluxe
folder over to the Program Files folder. Delete the Zone.com folder.
Reboot.

Zone Alarm should now install and run correctly. If not, or if you have
messed with the Zone Alarm settings, now you can uninstall and reinstall
it, and it should work.

HP/Compaq provides Zone.com Games for your enjoyment... The fact that
it just happens to conflict with the use of Zone Alarm (which competes
with Windows Firewall) is somewhat suspicious. I don't know why Zone
Labs hasn't provided a fix for that.....

--
luxeterna

There is a fix. It is Zone Alarm 6.