Win 7 - hd Access denied on hd's on network computer

CyberFoxZA

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Hello,

I know this is a common problem on Vista win 7 & 8. Yet i cannot find a simple answer to the problem.

Here's the problem:
All i want to do is access the hard drives C: & D: on my wife's laptop from my computer.
Its sounds simple yet i have set permissions to full and still says access denied. PLS HELP

Both PC's is running win 7 sp1.

I'm not a network administrator just a simple home user.

All searches on the internet only come up with
results that are not working for me and is aimed more at network administrators.

CyberFox

booger007

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
File and folder sharing must be turned on, you have to set share permissions then set the NTFS permissions on the security tab which can be seen when you right click on the drive and choose properties

CyberFoxZA

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Ok in a nutshell - I Need to disable win 7 admin rights on a network computer to allow me to access the hard drives on that computer from my computer - Cause all i get is Access denied.

booger007

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
did you enable ntfs permissions and share permissions? permissions always revert to the most restrictive. they are in 2 different areas

try access the other computer y typing this at the search box after you click on the orb on the taskbar. dont type the quotation marks just the name of the other pc

\\"computername"\c$

CyberFoxZA

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Thank u booger007 for the reply.

When i do that it ask me for user name and password which i don't know how to set up. I just thought it would be easier to remove the restrictions. but clearly not.

How do i set up the user name and pasword on the other computer.

CyberFox