Gottlieb EM 3ball-5ball mod on King Pin

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 20, 2005 10:13:53 AM

Hi... I have a collection of one machine...a 73 King Pin that is a
"work in progress" ... been tinkering with it for years. It has a 3
ball or 5 ball option by way of a mulpiple pin connector in the lower
cabinet, but the 5 ball option changes the game rules (presumably to
keep scores down). The most notable change is the moving light for 5000
points on a drop target doesn't show up in 5 ball mode until you drop
all the targets once, and the pop bumpers only score full ponts (1000)
half time.

I've always wanted it to play for 5 balls on "3 ball rules". While
studying the schematic I recently discovered that the thing that tells
the machine to stop at 3 balls in a 3 ball game is the WH-BL (white
with blue trace) wire on the lower series of lugs on the ball stepper
unit. Disconnect this wire and PRESTO the 3 ball game now goes to 5!
This changes the whole dymnamic of the game as you can routinely wrap
the score right around past 00,000 (Yay!), and you can restore to
factory operation by reconnecting the wire ( a toggle switch in the
back box would allow for fast changeover).

Am I reinventing the wheel here? Is this a common mod for this and
other EM Gottlieb single player wedgeheads? Has anyone else done it? Am
I nuts?

Dave

More about : gottlieb 3ball 5ball mod king pin

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 8:55:25 PM

I've seen similar mods -- jumper wires here and there to maintain 3-ball
scoring or bonuses while in 5-ball play .