TECH : Crunch time - cleaning playfield before clearcoating

I cleaned my playfield (1975 El Dorado) with isopropyl alcohol, touched it
up with acrylics and a sharpie.

I did a small clean up job in one area with the isopropyl, the sharpie bled
onto the rag and other areas of the PF and I could see some of the acrylic
paint colour I had applied on the clean up rag. Took ages to clean up the
sharpie bleeding from the other areas.

What should I clean the PF with to stop this bleeding onto the rag. Naptha?
What the hell is naptha? I live in Australia and no one knows what I am on
about when I ask for it!

I will be spraying it with coats of a crystal clear (non yellowing) water
based urethane via spray gun system for info.

Sharpie will bleed no matter what and if you spray it with clear it
might bleed from the solvents in the paint. Bad choice for touch up -
those little paint bottles are much better choice for the touchup.

Brad and Pam wrote:
> I cleaned my playfield (1975 El Dorado) with isopropyl alcohol, touched it
> up with acrylics and a sharpie.
>
> I did a small clean up job in one area with the isopropyl, the sharpie bled
> onto the rag and other areas of the PF and I could see some of the acrylic
> paint colour I had applied on the clean up rag. Took ages to clean up the
> sharpie bleeding from the other areas.
>
> What should I clean the PF with to stop this bleeding onto the rag. Naptha?
> What the hell is naptha? I live in Australia and no one knows what I am on
> about when I ask for it!
>
> I will be spraying it with coats of a crystal clear (non yellowing) water
> based urethane via spray gun system for info.

There might be paints that are made to be used underneath the urethane
you are using. For solvent based clear coats i.e. Dupont, Sikkens,
etc. There is paints made specifically for touch up to be used
underneath the clear so the actual clear adheres to these surfaces.
These paints are only avaliable at your local paint dealer. Not Home
Depot, Loews , etc. You might want to try these types of paints
because when I converted to the "right" stuff my problems with clear
coating went down substainally including bleed and sanding after touch
up. The paints I use for touch up , combine with the clear so you can
use a complete system and clean up , sand right before you clear coat.
This is a must for the best job and finish. Maybe try a different type
of touch up.

Bill

Sounds like you have not done your homework. There is a document
on clearcoating and touchup at
http://marvin3m.com/clear
I suggest you read it. Covers different touchup methods and
their reaction with different brands of auto urethane clearcoats.
Bottom line: sharpies are not good for playfield touchups.

Brad and Pam wrote:
> I cleaned my playfield (1975 El Dorado) with isopropyl alcohol, touched it
> up with acrylics and a sharpie.
>
> I did a small clean up job in one area with the isopropyl, the sharpie bled
> onto the rag and other areas of the PF and I could see some of the acrylic
> paint colour I had applied on the clean up rag. Took ages to clean up the
> sharpie bleeding from the other areas.
>
> What should I clean the PF with to stop this bleeding onto the rag. Naptha?
> What the hell is naptha? I live in Australia and no one knows what I am on
> about when I ask for it!
>
> I will be spraying it with coats of a crystal clear (non yellowing) water
> based urethane via spray gun system for info.

I am pretty sure the equivalent to Naptha in our lingo is
"Shellite". I had enough trouble finding isopropyl but eventually
found it at Dick Smiths. Only found it in small spray packs though so
if you know where else you can get it please let me know. I have also
seen the term "denatured alcohol" used too which I think is our
"Metho"

Dave

Do they have Home Depot in Australia? Do I smell another item that can
be exported from the US to Australia??

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

I have used the craft store acrylic paints for touchups on Wpc games
followed by Sikkens clear with no problems.

Otto

CARGPB11

<w-morrison3@ti.com> wrote in message
> For solvent based clear coats i.e. Dupont, Sikkens,
> etc. There is paints made specifically for touch up to be used
> underneath the clear so the actual clear adheres to these surfaces.
> These paints are only avaliable at your local paint dealer. Not Home
> Depot, Loews , etc. You might want to try these types of paints
> because when I converted to the "right" stuff my problems with clear
> coating went down substainally including bleed and sanding after touch
> up. The paints I use for touch up , combine with the clear so you can
> use a complete system and clean up , sand right before you clear coat.
> This is a must for the best job and finish. Maybe try a different type
> of touch up.

OK, what I have found so far tonight confirms what people are saying:

http://web.mit.edu/mitoc/www/activities/hiking/fuel.html

Lists Naptha as known as Shellite and White gas in Australia.

That will have to do I suppose. Cheers