Hi,

I am using Windows XP Professional SP2 and recently the icons of all office
files (*.xls, *.doc, ... ), pdf files and some other shortcuts were replaced
by the generic icon. I tried system restore and tweak UI repair icons.... no
success.

Any other suggestion, computer is working fine just bloody annoying not
having icons!

Thanks in advance.

PA

-open Windows Explorer > click Tools > Folder Options > File Types

-scroll down & click once on a document's extension (.doc,.xls) to highlight

-click Advanced > click Change Icon > select appropriate icon

-click OK > click close

-repeat with each extension's icon you want changed. Unless somebody has an
easier way than one icon at a time

Drew

-
"FromTheStars" <FromTheStars@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am using Windows XP Professional SP2 and recently the icons of all
> office
> files (*.xls, *.doc, ... ), pdf files and some other shortcuts were
> replaced
> by the generic icon. I tried system restore and tweak UI repair icons....
> no
> success.
>
> Any other suggestion, computer is working fine just bloody annoying not
> having icons!
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> PA

"FromTheStars" <FromTheStars@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am using Windows XP Professional SP2 and recently the icons of all
> office
> files (*.xls, *.doc, ... ), pdf files and some other shortcuts were
> replaced
> by the generic icon. I tried system restore and tweak UI repair icons....
> no
> success.
>
> Any other suggestion, computer is working fine just bloody annoying not
> having icons!
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> PA

Consider downloading an installing Tweak UI from:

Under Repair try Rebuild Icons.

Don

Try deleting the IconCache.db file. Click Start/Run and type:

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\

Select the file named "IconCache.db" (hidden file) and delete it.

Restart Windows.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User