Generic Icons

Hi,

I am using Windows XP Professional SP2 and recently the icons of all office
files (*.xls, *.doc, ... ), pdf files and some other shortcuts were replaced
by the generic icon. I tried system restore and tweak UI repair icons.... no
success.

Any other suggestion, computer is working fine just bloody annoying not
having icons!

Thanks in advance.

PA
3 answers Last reply
More about generic icons

    -open Windows Explorer > click Tools > Folder Options > File Types

    -scroll down & click once on a document's extension (.doc,.xls) to highlight

    -click Advanced > click Change Icon > select appropriate icon

    -click OK > click close

    -repeat with each extension's icon you want changed. Unless somebody has an
    easier way than one icon at a time

    Drew

    -
    "FromTheStars" <FromTheStars@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using Windows XP Professional SP2 and recently the icons of all
    > office
    > files (*.xls, *.doc, ... ), pdf files and some other shortcuts were
    > replaced
    > by the generic icon. I tried system restore and tweak UI repair icons....
    > no
    > success.
    >
    > Any other suggestion, computer is working fine just bloody annoying not
    > having icons!
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > PA

    "FromTheStars" <FromTheStars@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using Windows XP Professional SP2 and recently the icons of all
    > office
    > files (*.xls, *.doc, ... ), pdf files and some other shortcuts were
    > replaced
    > by the generic icon. I tried system restore and tweak UI repair icons....
    > no
    > success.
    >
    > Any other suggestion, computer is working fine just bloody annoying not
    > having icons!
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > PA

    Consider downloading an installing Tweak UI from:

    Under Repair try Rebuild Icons.

    Don

    Try deleting the IconCache.db file. Click Start/Run and type:

    %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\

    Select the file named "IconCache.db" (hidden file) and delete it.

    Restart Windows.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "FromTheStars" <FromTheStars@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using Windows XP Professional SP2 and recently the icons of all
    > office
    > files (*.xls, *.doc, ... ), pdf files and some other shortcuts were
    > replaced
    > by the generic icon. I tried system restore and tweak UI repair icons....
    > no
    > success.
    >
    > Any other suggestion, computer is working fine just bloody annoying not
    > having icons!
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > PA

Icons Microsoft Windows XP