appsdba

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
I have been looking at building myself a PC. My current one is a noisy Dell P3 500 MHz. I want to join the rest of the civilization. I heard that Intel might cut CPU prices in October. I can wait. When is Springdale due? Is there anything else around the corner that would me freak out that I didn't wait for it? I can wait a month or two.

Here is the configuration I am looking at.

P4 2.4 GHz 800 FSB
Asus P4P800 Deluxe Motherboard
Antec Sonata Case
Corsair CMX512-3500C2 512MB DDR433 PC3500 Memory
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 6Y120M0 120GB Serial ATA 7200RPM
Sapphire ATI RADEON 9700 ATLANTIS PRO ULTIMATE 128MB DDR
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Sony DW-U10A-10 DVD Writer
Liteon LTR-52246S 52x24x52 E-IDE CD-RW Drive w/Nero Software
19" LCD Flat Panel
Windows XP Professional
Floppy Drive

Let me know if something is amiss with this. I want a video card without a fan on it. I am using the Sonata case (even though I don't love the looks) because it is supposed to be ultra quiet. I haven't been paying much attention the last couple of months. So some of these components may have been superseded already. Thanks.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
If you're not going to overclock, there's no need for PC3500 ram. PC3200 would suffice.
Also Get two sticks of RAM to take advantage of Dual Channel RAM - it'll increase performance.

So either get 2x256Mb sticks or get 2x512Mb sticks.. nothing will <i>need</i> 1Gb of RAM at the mo, but it will slightly benefit some stuff now, and some of the games being released soon (doomIII, Half-life 2) will probably enjoy more RAM. (I'm assuming b/c of the Rad9700 that you do want to play games)..

On the subject of games actually, an LCD screen is not ideal, as they tend to not refresh that quickly, leading to 'ghosting' while running fast stuff like games. (unless you're spending silly money on one)

Obviously, if you're not interested in games, then you can ignore these points, but If that's the case, I'd question the fairly high-end gfx card you've picked...

I've not been very impressed with all the sony Optical drives I've seen... although I've never used any of their DVD writer drives. Lite-On are very good though.

---
The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile:

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Allegedly at the end of october, and I'm not sure on the mobo side, I <i>think</i> you'll be able to use the 3.2, 3.4, and 3.6Ghz on existing mobos, but there's a new socket after those... but of course, as my sig now says...

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink: