8400 Leaf blower update

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Dell are uplifting my machine next week.

After doing all their 'tests' they say it's the CPU fan at fault.

I'd agree. I think part of the problem is that the green shround is touching
the heatsink and this may be what's causing part of the noise.

Either way, there's no getting away from the fact that the CPU fan is VERY
noisy with changing pitches.

CPU fan:
Model: AFC 091 2DE

Part number: P2780

I have the same problem with my new 8400, which also has the Delta CPU fan
model AFC 091 2DE. There is a loud and very annoying continuous high-pitch
"tea kettle" type noise. My green shroud is not touching the heatsink, and
the noise is directly coming from the CPU cooler fan motor. Did you request
that the fan be replaced with the same make and model, or did you ask for a
different replacement? Let us know if your new fan is any better.

Regards,
Key Bored

"John" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Dell are uplifting my machine next week.
>
> After doing all their 'tests' they say it's the CPU fan at fault.
>
> I'd agree. I think part of the problem is that the green shround is
> touching the heatsink and this may be what's causing part of the noise.
>

> Either way, there's no getting away from the fact that the CPU fan is VERY
> noisy with changing pitches.
>
> CPU fan:
> Model: AFC 091 2DE
>
> Part number: P2780

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I didn't get into any detail with Dell's rep about brand types. I will stick
a letter to the base unit though.

I'll try and post again once it's returned.

"John" <me@privacy.net> wrote in

> I didn't get into any detail with Dell's rep about brand types. I will
> stick a letter to the base unit though.
>
> I'll try and post again once it's returned.

Is this something you can replace yourself or is it necessary to ship it
to them? A fan doesn't sound like something that should require sending
it back to the factory. What about having them send a technician to
repair it?

>> "John" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>> Dell are uplifting my machine next week.
>>>
>>> After doing all their 'tests' they say it's the CPU fan at fault.
>>>
>>> I'd agree. I think part of the problem is that the green shround is
>>> touching the heatsink and this may be what's causing part of the
>>> noise.
>>>

>>> Either way, there's no getting away from the fact that the CPU fan
>>> is VERY noisy with changing pitches.
>>>
>>> CPU fan:
>>> Model: AFC 091 2DE
>>>
>>> Part number: P2780
>

> "Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
>>I have the same problem with my new 8400, which also has the Delta CPU
>>fan model AFC 091 2DE. There is a loud and very annoying continuous
>>high-pitch "tea kettle" type noise. My green shroud is not touching
>>the heatsink, and the noise is directly coming from the CPU cooler fan
>>motor. Did you request that the fan be replaced with the same make
>>and model, or did you ask for a different replacement? Let us know if
>>your new fan is any better.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Key Bored

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"Joe Gondola" <mail@nomail.edu> wrote in message
> "John" <me@privacy.net> wrote in
>
>> I didn't get into any detail with Dell's rep about brand types. I will
>> stick a letter to the base unit though.
>>
>> I'll try and post again once it's returned.
>>

> Is this something you can replace yourself or is it necessary to ship it
> to them? A fan doesn't sound like something that should require sending
> it back to the factory. What about having them send a technician to
> repair it?

I'm sure they would send an engineer if I paid $200.

I prefer to send the PC off anyway.

I'm just hoping the PC isn't being shipped to India :p

LUCIFER

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002

i've been calling dell for like 10 times already and they sent me two
new fans along with a tech. nothing was being fixed. i called them
back and they danced around the problem. they told me to unplug
everything except the video card, and the cpu fan. i did that and
still the noise won't die. now i'm going to demand dell to get me a
new motherboard and see what happen. this totally is frustrating.

"lucifer" <uttechnodragon@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> i've been calling dell for like 10 times already and they sent me two
> new fans along with a tech. nothing was being fixed. i called them
> back and they danced around the problem. they told me to unplug
> everything except the video card, and the cpu fan. i did that and
> still the noise won't die. now i'm going to demand dell to get me a
> new motherboard and see what happen. this totally is frustrating.

When they change the board, have a look that they seat the heatsink fully as
well.

Stew

LUCIFER

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002

ok, thanks goodness that i know a lil bit about computer. i took
apart the whole motherboard (pci cards, cpu, fan, cables, cell
battery). i also completely removed the jumper setting of cmos. when
i put the motherboard back without the orginal jumper setting of cmos,
now my computer is quiet. the fan increases the speed only when too
many apps run at once but still the noise level is a lot better than
before. when the computer is idle, the fan slows down and the system
is quiet. so i conclude that either dell technicians are clueless or
totally not trying to help customers at all.