Norton Internet Security 2004 - removal nightmare

My wife has a new PC with Norton Internet Security 2004 preinstalled.
Uninstall doesn't work correctly and then you have to search the Symantec
site for a download to remove it. This claims to remove it but leaves
numerous remnants! Worst of all it f**ks up Windows Security Center which
still thinks it is installed but out of date and is therefore unable to
effectively monitor a replacement AV product!

Anyone else had this experience - and found a solution?

Terry
5 answers Last reply
More about norton internet security 2004 removal nightmare

    It's not uncommon. There are some manual actions that you can use
    to remove the remnants. As to Security Center (XP), Symantec will
    install it's own replacement Symantec WMI. This entry should appear
    in Control Panel's Add/Remove. You need to also uninstall Live Upd
    and then Live Reg. Doing a full system search for Symantec will show
    two or more Symantec folders - delete all.
    Also in Device Manager, Non-Plug&Play category you'll have several
    services/drivers that get orphaned. Usually they are named Sym...
    Cleaning up Symantec is time consuming and very irritating. I've done
    this damn operation on as many as 45 PCs over the past 6-8 months
    so your situation isn't an isolated one. If I had the free time, I'd offer
    to do a Remote Assistance session to give you a hand. My best advice
    is take your time and be sure any critical data is backed up.

    "Terry_P" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > My wife has a new PC with Norton Internet Security 2004 preinstalled.
    > Uninstall doesn't work correctly and then you have to search the Symantec
    > site for a download to remove it. This claims to remove it but leaves
    > numerous remnants! Worst of all it f**ks up Windows Security Center which
    > still thinks it is installed but out of date and is therefore unable to
    > effectively monitor a replacement AV product!
    >
    > Anyone else had this experience - and found a solution?
    >
    > Terry

    Thanks for your speedy reply. I'll have to decide if I want to spend the
    time. The only remaining annoyance is the fact that Security Centre will
    not monitor F-Prot AV because it reports that there is more than one AV
    products installed and at least one is out of date (i.e. the uninstalled
    NAV!)

    Terry

    > Thanks for your speedy reply. I'll have to decide if I want to spend the
    > time. The only remaining annoyance is the fact that Security Centre will
    > not monitor F-Prot AV because it reports that there is more than one AV
    > products installed and at least one is out of date (i.e. the uninstalled
    > NAV!)

    Edit the Registry manually.

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\SymantecAntivirus
    Delete "DisableMonitoring"

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\SymantecFirewall
    Delete "DisableMonitoring"

    --
    William

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:22:17 -0700, WTC wrote:

    > Edit the Registry manually.
    >
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\SymantecAntivirus
    > Delete "DisableMonitoring"
    >
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\SymantecFirewall
    > Delete "DisableMonitoring"

    Thanks for the tip William. That fixed it!

    BTW for anyone else with the same problem instructions should read :

    Edit the Registry manually.

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecAntivirus
    Delete "DisableMonitoring"

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecFirewall
    Delete "DisableMonitoring"

    Terry

    > On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:22:17 -0700, WTC wrote:
    >

    >> Edit the Registry manually.
    >>
    >> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\SymantecAntivirus
    >> Delete "DisableMonitoring"
    >>
    >> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\SymantecFirewall
    >> Delete "DisableMonitoring"
    >
    > Thanks for the tip William. That fixed it!
    >
    > BTW for anyone else with the same problem instructions should read :
    >
    > Edit the Registry manually.
    >
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecAntivirus
    > Delete "DisableMonitoring"
    >
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecFirewall
    > Delete "DisableMonitoring"

    You're welcome, sorry about the mistake.

    --
    William

Internet Security Norton Windows XP