Norton Internet Security 2004 - removal nightmare

Tags:
  • Internet Security
  • Norton
  • Windows XP
August 28, 2005 8:05:20 PM

My wife has a new PC with Norton Internet Security 2004 preinstalled.
Uninstall doesn't work correctly and then you have to search the Symantec
site for a download to remove it. This claims to remove it but leaves
numerous remnants! Worst of all it f**ks up Windows Security Center which
still thinks it is installed but out of date and is therefore unable to
effectively monitor a replacement AV product!

Anyone else had this experience - and found a solution?

Terry

More about : norton internet security 2004 removal nightmare

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 8:05:21 PM

It's not uncommon. There are some manual actions that you can use
to remove the remnants. As to Security Center (XP), Symantec will
install it's own replacement Symantec WMI. This entry should appear
in Control Panel's Add/Remove. You need to also uninstall Live Upd
and then Live Reg. Doing a full system search for Symantec will show
two or more Symantec folders - delete all.
Also in Device Manager, Non-Plug&Play category you'll have several
services/drivers that get orphaned. Usually they are named Sym...
Cleaning up Symantec is time consuming and very irritating. I've done
this damn operation on as many as 45 PCs over the past 6-8 months
so your situation isn't an isolated one. If I had the free time, I'd offer
to do a Remote Assistance session to give you a hand. My best advice
is take your time and be sure any critical data is backed up.

"Terry_P" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> My wife has a new PC with Norton Internet Security 2004 preinstalled.
> Uninstall doesn't work correctly and then you have to search the Symantec
> site for a download to remove it. This claims to remove it but leaves
> numerous remnants! Worst of all it f**ks up Windows Security Center which
> still thinks it is installed but out of date and is therefore unable to
> effectively monitor a replacement AV product!
>
> Anyone else had this experience - and found a solution?
>
> Terry
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 8:51:40 PM

Thanks for your speedy reply. I'll have to decide if I want to spend the
time. The only remaining annoyance is the fact that Security Centre will
not monitor F-Prot AV because it reports that there is more than one AV
products installed and at least one is out of date (i.e. the uninstalled
NAV!)

Terry
August 28, 2005 8:51:41 PM

> Thanks for your speedy reply. I'll have to decide if I want to spend the
> time. The only remaining annoyance is the fact that Security Centre will
> not monitor F-Prot AV because it reports that there is more than one AV
> products installed and at least one is out of date (i.e. the uninstalled
> NAV!)

Edit the Registry manually.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\SymantecAntivirus
Delete "DisableMonitoring"

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\SymantecFirewall
Delete "DisableMonitoring"

--
William
Anonymous

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:22:17 -0700, WTC wrote:

> Edit the Registry manually.
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\SymantecAntivirus
> Delete "DisableMonitoring"
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\SymantecFirewall
> Delete "DisableMonitoring"

Thanks for the tip William. That fixed it!

BTW for anyone else with the same problem instructions should read :

Edit the Registry manually.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecAntivirus
Delete "DisableMonitoring"

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecFirewall
Delete "DisableMonitoring"

Terry
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 6:16:16 PM

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:22:17 -0700, WTC wrote:
>

>> Edit the Registry manually.
>>
>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\SymantecAntivirus
>> Delete "DisableMonitoring"
>>
>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\SymantecFirewall
>> Delete "DisableMonitoring"
>
> Thanks for the tip William. That fixed it!
>
> BTW for anyone else with the same problem instructions should read :
>
> Edit the Registry manually.
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecAntivirus
> Delete "DisableMonitoring"
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecFirewall
> Delete "DisableMonitoring"

You're welcome, sorry about the mistake.

--
William
!