New install of Windows

Out of interest, I decided to reinstall Windows from scratch on a new PC
from Dell (I bought 4). I don't know what Dell do to their PCs when they
send them out, but the new install seems several times faster when loading
programmes than the original Dell install that sits next to it.

I think I'll just roll my sleeves up and do the same for the others - even
the one I have already configured and loaded with data and programmes. Very
disappointed with Dell on this :-(((

Geoff
13 answers Last reply
More about install windows

    The first thing I do when receiving a new Dell is to run it for a day and be
    sure that all looks stable and no hardware problems surface. The 2nd day I
    format and clean install the OS. There is a lot of adware and clutter on a
    factory set up system. I love how you specify no AOL but get it anyway. But
    it is not an illusion, the system flat out runs faster and is more
    responsive with a clean install.

    Regards,
    John O.

    "GB" <NotMyEmailAddress@Anywhere.InTheUniverse> wrote in message
    > Out of interest, I decided to reinstall Windows from scratch on a new PC
    > from Dell (I bought 4). I don't know what Dell do to their PCs when they
    > send them out, but the new install seems several times faster when loading
    > programmes than the original Dell install that sits next to it.
    >
    > I think I'll just roll my sleeves up and do the same for the others - even
    > the one I have already configured and loaded with data and programmes.
    Very
    > disappointed with Dell on this :-(((
    >
    > Geoff

    "GB" <NotMyEmailAddress@Anywhere.InTheUniverse> wrote in message news:<409c18cc$1@news1.homechoice.co.uk>...
    > Out of interest, I decided to reinstall Windows from scratch on a new PC
    > from Dell (I bought 4). I don't know what Dell do to their PCs when they
    > send them out, but the new install seems several times faster when loading
    > programmes than the original Dell install that sits next to it.
    >
    > I think I'll just roll my sleeves up and do the same for the others - even
    > the one I have already configured and loaded with data and programmes. Very
    > disappointed with Dell on this :-(((
    >
    > Geoff

    Be greatful you can even do this. Most pc manufacturers
    only give you a restore cd (not oem windows cd) that take the
    computer back to the bloated state. At least with Dell you have
    a choice.

    Dave

    John and Pat wrote:

    > The first thing I do when receiving a new Dell is to run it for a day and be
    > sure that all looks stable and no hardware problems surface. The 2nd day I
    > format and clean install the OS. There is a lot of adware and clutter on a
    > factory set up system. I love how you specify no AOL but get it anyway. But
    > it is not an illusion, the system flat out runs faster and is more
    > responsive with a clean install.

    One thing that I always do, before doing a clean OS installation,
    is install all those "questionable" programs that might cause
    future problems.

    If they don't cause conflicts or problems, I reinstall them with
    the clean OS installation. If they do, they're gone.

    Larry

    I have yet to come across anything in a factory install from Dell that I
    think might cause present or future problems, so I guess that's a matter of
    opinion.

    Rocky

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" wrote:

    > I have yet to come across anything in a factory install from Dell that I
    > think might cause present or future problems, so I guess that's a matter of
    > opinion.

    Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear...

    Those "questionable" programs are all third-party.

    Larry

    No, you were clear. I'm the one who wasn't clear.

    In my experience, Dell computers are very fast right out of the box. I
    actually had an occasion to do a clean reinstall of all my software, when
    Dell replaced my failing hard drive. I did not notice any increase in speed
    over the factory install. But small differences in speed are often a matter
    of perception.

    When I and members of my family have ordered Dell Dimensions, we have been
    able to choose the software that was installed. I have not encountered any
    extra marketing 'fluff' that Dell put on without my asking. Admittedly, much
    of the software are OEM versions, but they are perfectly usable and none
    were 'crippled' versions that are designed to induce you to upgrade. I later
    upgraded some of those OEM versions to full versions, but that was my
    choice.

    But other people seem to think that the computers they ordered, to their
    specifications, are loaded with extra software that they don't want. So I
    guess it's a matter of opinion.

    As long as I'm on the subject of 'opinions' I'll opine that if any software
    is full of 'fluff' that would be Windows XP. I noticed a significant (to me)
    increase in performance once I turned off indexing, changed to the classic
    theme, etc.

    > "Rocket J. Squirrel" wrote:
    > >
    > > I have yet to come across anything in a factory install from Dell that I
    > > think might cause present or future problems, so I guess that's a matter
    of
    > > opinion.
    >
    > Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear...
    >
    > Those "questionable" programs are all third-party.
    >
    > Larry

    if the hardware is identical then clone the original drive to each of the
    others, save yourself a bunch of time over building from scratch, and ensure
    consistency. you can download a free utility that creates a bootable floppy
    to do this. westerndigital has it, but you have to pick it from among the
    windows versions... then take the hard disk out of one of the other machine
    along with its data cable and install it into the secondary controller slot
    of the rebuilt pc (so it is the primary drive on the second controller as
    copying across controllers is faster than if the two hard disks were on the
    same controller, and because you will not have to even think about adjusting
    any jumpers). then run the utility and set up the second disk to be like a
    replacement of the first... once complete return the second disk to the
    original machine. you won't even have to reactivate windows. takes about
    an hour to clone a 10gb image. that's less time than installing all the
    updates to windows xp on one machine alone...

    get datalifeguard for *dos* from western digital here
    http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp#dlgtools
    works with the 80gb seagate drives that came in my most recent 30 dimension
    4600... which were all cloned this way after creating the master software
    build.

    "David" <davids165@juno.com> wrote in message
    > "GB" <NotMyEmailAddress@Anywhere.InTheUniverse> wrote in message
    > > Out of interest, I decided to reinstall Windows from scratch on a new PC
    > > from Dell (I bought 4). I don't know what Dell do to their PCs when they
    > > send them out, but the new install seems several times faster when
    > > programmes than the original Dell install that sits next to it.
    > >
    > > I think I'll just roll my sleeves up and do the same for the others -
    even
    > > the one I have already configured and loaded with data and programmes.
    Very
    > > disappointed with Dell on this :-(((
    > >
    > > Geoff
    >
    > Be greatful you can even do this. Most pc manufacturers
    > only give you a restore cd (not oem windows cd) that take the
    > computer back to the bloated state. At least with Dell you have
    > a choice.
    >
    > Dave

    Absolutely. Had an HP 1.6GHz AMD with 256mb the other day (original factory
    image) that ran like an absolute dog when compared to even a 1GHz/256mb
    system using a clean install.

    Christopher Muto <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > if the hardware is identical then clone the original drive
    <snip>

    > get datalifeguard for *dos* from western digital here
    > http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp#dlgtools

    Thanks, this looks brilliant to me. I was thinking of buying Norton's Ghost,
    but this is much cheaper (free). Minor problem is that I will need to make a
    bootable CD, as none of these machines have floppy disk drives.

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:

    >As long as I'm on the subject of 'opinions' I'll opine that if any software
    >is full of 'fluff' that would be Windows XP. I noticed a significant (to me)
    >increase in performance once I turned off indexing, changed to the classic
    >theme, etc.

    Rocky, you're probably right about the indexing, I've turned that
    off on every drive but C:. However, IMHO you're off on the
    "classic versus XP" theme thing, speedwise. Coming to XP from
    98SE [home] and Win2K [at work, but simultaneously with /their/
    changeover to XP], I, too, was wery, wery, wary of the XP
    "theme". [On a non-Dell XP computer I used at a client's office,
    I absolutely /hated/ that default "clouds" wallpaper, which is
    neither here nor there, except that I had to get it off my chest.
    ;->] But, I went back and forth between the two for a while,
    before finding that the XP interface turned out to be more useful
    to me. Even in the Control Panel, wonder of wonders. Point is,
    while I /was/ switching back and forth between the two "themes",
    I found that neither was noticeably faster or slower than the
    other, in and of itself.
    --
    OJ III
    [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

    > if the hardware is identical then clone the original drive to each of the
    > others, save yourself a bunch of time over building from scratch, and
    ensure
    > consistency. you can download a free utility that creates a bootable
    floppy
    > to do this. westerndigital has it, but you have to pick it from among the
    > windows versions... then take the hard disk out of one of the other
    machine
    > along with its data cable and install it into the secondary controller
    slot
    > of the rebuilt pc (so it is the primary drive on the second controller as
    > copying across controllers is faster than if the two hard disks were on
    the
    > same controller, and because you will not have to even think about
    adjusting
    > any jumpers). then run the utility and set up the second disk to be like
    > replacement of the first... once complete return the second disk to the
    > original machine. you won't even have to reactivate windows. takes about
    > an hour to clone a 10gb image. that's less time than installing all the
    > updates to windows xp on one machine alone...
    >
    > get datalifeguard for *dos* from western digital here
    > http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp#dlgtools
    > works with the 80gb seagate drives that came in my most recent 30
    dimension
    > 4600... which were all cloned this way after creating the master software
    > build.

    Just a word to say thanks for the tip. This worked really well at
    transferring everything from one drive to the other.

    For the benefit of anyone interested:-
    1. I did have a slight problem because Windows hung whilst booting on the
    newly imaged disk. I fixed this using the 'Fix MBR' mode of the WD utility.
    2. I used WinImage (30 day free trial version) to make a bootable CD image
    from the bootable floppy I downloaded from WD.

    Well pleased!

    Geoff

    I don't use the 'classic' Start menu, just the 'Windows Classic' theme.
    Maybe I just want to believe the classic theme is faster because,
    personally, that Luna design makes me think I'm back in first grade.

    Rocky

    http://www.nu2.nu/bootablecd/

    > Christopher Muto <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > if the hardware is identical then clone the original drive
    > <snip>
    > >
    > > get datalifeguard for *dos* from western digital here
    > > http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp#dlgtools
    >
    > Thanks, this looks brilliant to me. I was thinking of buying Norton's
    Ghost,
    > but this is much cheaper (free). Minor problem is that I will need to make
    > bootable CD, as none of these machines have floppy disk drives.

Dell PCS Computers