Trying in vain to locate a post ###

twanny

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2005

Have been trying to locate a post in this forum for the past two hours.
Tried a search for "password+login+username+restart...", all in vain.
Maybe "you" recall this post: (approx ? dated 19-22 Aug)
The user had a problem with WinXp, trying to login with his account and
password. Although the password was correct, he was unable to login until
he rebooted again. A friend of mine has a similar problem and I need to see
the answers to this post.
I appreciate all this is very vague, but there are people out there who have
magificent memories - maybe someone did a mental "printscreen".
--
Twanny

Twanny wrote:
> Have been trying to locate a post in this forum for the past two
> hours. Tried a search for "password+login+username+restart...", all
> in vain.
> Maybe "you" recall this post: (approx ? dated 19-22 Aug)
> The user had a problem with WinXp, trying to login with his account
> and password. Although the password was correct, he was unable to
> login until he rebooted again. A friend of mine has a similar problem
> and I need to see the answers to this post.
> I appreciate all this is very vague, but there are people out there
> who have magificent memories - maybe someone did a mental
> "printscreen".

Well, you could just post your question now that you have started..
Give details on your problem.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

twanny

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2005

Twanny

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Twanny wrote:
> > Have been trying to locate a post in this forum for the past two
> > hours. Tried a search for "password+login+username+restart...", all
> > in vain.
> > Maybe "you" recall this post: (approx ? dated 19-22 Aug)
> > The user had a problem with WinXp, trying to login with his account
> > and password. Although the password was correct, he was unable to
> > login until he rebooted again. A friend of mine has a similar problem
> > and I need to see the answers to this post.
> > I appreciate all this is very vague, but there are people out there
> > who have magificent memories - maybe someone did a mental
> > "printscreen".
>
> Well, you could just post your question now that you have started..
> Give details on your problem.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>
> ----------------------------
I know, I know, Shenan...I asked for it!
The problem is the problem is not mine as I said, and I have few details. My
friend is away and I thought I could help him before he returns. This I know:
he did a complete format (WinXP Pro SP1) but still has this problem:
First boot / trying to login an Administrator Account - password correct
(fail)
Reboots/login successful.
Logs out to another account, same passwords, fail - has to reboot.

Twanny

Twanny wrote:
> I know, I know, Shenan...I asked for it!
> The problem is the problem is not mine as I said, and I have few
> details. My friend is away and I thought I could help him before he
> returns. This I know: he did a complete format (WinXP Pro SP1) but
> still has this problem:
> First boot / trying to login an Administrator Account - password
> correct (fail)
> Reboots/login successful.
> Logs out to another account, same passwords, fail - has to reboot.

Hey, I didn't berate you or anything - matter of fact it is refreshing to
see someone searching and admitting it!
Just figured it might not be a good idea to depend on our memories to find
this post for you and faster to just start a new one. *grin*

- Does it do this for any and every account on the system?
(Create another if you have to.)
- Using the welcome screen or Classic Logon screen?
- Does it do this when booting into Safe Mode?
- When he formatted, did he bring anything over from the old install - like
using FAST to export his profile and then import it.
- Right after the install was done, were the symptoms evident - or was it
some time in the future?
- You said "SP1", any reason this is not an SP2 system yet?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Twanny wrote:
> > Have been trying to locate a post in this forum for the past two
> > hours. Tried a search for "password+login+username+restart...", all
> > in vain.
> > Maybe "you" recall this post: (approx ? dated 19-22 Aug)
> > The user had a problem with WinXp, trying to login with his account
> > and password. Although the password was correct, he was unable to
> > login until he rebooted again. A friend of mine has a similar
> > problem and I need to see the answers to this post.
> > I appreciate all this is very vague, but there are people out there
> > who have magificent memories - maybe someone did a mental
> > "printscreen".
>
> Shenan wrote:
> > Well, you could just post your question now that you have started..
> > Give details on your problem.
>
> Twanny wrote:
> > I know, I know, Shenan...I asked for it!
> > The problem is the problem is not mine as I said, and I have few
> > details. My friend is away and I thought I could help him before he
> > returns. This I know: he did a complete format (WinXP Pro SP1) but
> > still has this problem:
> > First boot / trying to login an Administrator Account - password
> > correct (fail)
> > Reboots/login successful.
> > Logs out to another account, same passwords, fail - has to reboot.
>
> Hey, I didn't berate you or anything - matter of fact it is refreshing to
> see someone searching and admitting it!
> Just figured it might not be a good idea to depend on our memories to find
> this post for you and faster to just start a new one. *grin*
>
> - Does it do this for any and every account on the system?
> (Create another if you have to.)
> - Using the welcome screen or Classic Logon screen?
> - Does it do this when booting into Safe Mode?
> - When he formatted, did he bring anything over from the old install - like
> using FAST to export his profile and then import it.
> - Right after the install was done, were the symptoms evident - or was it
> some time in the future?
> - You said "SP1", any reason this is not an SP2 system yet?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>
> ============================
All valid questions: thing is I cannot answer right now Shenan, as my friend
is unavailable. Can you pls bookmark this post - I will answer asap.

Thanks again

Twanny

Twanny wrote:
> All valid questions: thing is I cannot answer right now Shenan, as my
> friend is unavailable. Can you pls bookmark this post - I will answer
> asap.

Message watched.
If I come across the other post, I will reply to this message with it's
location as well as advice.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Twanny wrote:

> Have been trying to locate a post in this forum for the past two hours.
> Tried a search for "password+login+username+restart...", all in vain.
> Maybe "you" recall this post: (approx ? dated 19-22 Aug)
> The user had a problem with WinXp, trying to login with his account and
> password. Although the password was correct, he was unable to login until
> he rebooted again. A friend of mine has a similar problem and I need to see
> the answers to this post.
> I appreciate all this is very vague, but there are people out there who have
> magificent memories - maybe someone did a mental "printscreen".

Please post the details of your friend's problem and we'll start anew.
There are many reasons this could be happening. The more details you
give the easier it will be to help you.

Steve

twanny

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2005

Hi Steve: thanks for joining in. For the little details I have, see my
Twanny

Twanny wrote:

> Have been trying to locate a post in this forum for the past two hours.
> Tried a search for "password+login+username+restart...", all in vain.
> Maybe "you" recall this post: (approx ? dated 19-22 Aug)
> The user had a problem with WinXp, trying to login with his account and
> password. Although the password was correct, he was unable to login until
> he rebooted again. A friend of mine has a similar problem and I need to see
> the answers to this post.
> I appreciate all this is very vague, but there are people out there who have
> magificent memories - maybe someone did a mental "printscreen".
Hi,

Most likely you saw this tread:

Windows xp pro login problems
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/809a98d7359d92cd/5c7a60713f927833#5c7a60713f927833

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

twanny

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2005

That's it Torgeir! Hey, where can I get an MVP Crystal Ball like yours? :)
Regretably, there haven't been further replies: and I thought my "Notify me
of replies" had failed.
Anyhow, there's this new post going and I will follow it from here.
Thanks for replying so accurately.
--
Twanny

Twanny wrote:

> Hi Steve: thanks for joining in. For the little details I have, see my

What type of keyboard does friend have, USB or PS/2? Is caps lock and
num lock off or on?

Steve

twanny

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2005

Have managed to talk to my pal on the phone:
Keyboard PS/2
Caps lock OFF
Num Key ON
--
Twanny

"Steve N." wrote:

> Twanny wrote:
>
> > Hi Steve: thanks for joining in. For the little details I have, see my
>
> What type of keyboard does friend have, USB or PS/2? Is caps lock and
> num lock off or on?
>
> Steve

twanny

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2005

My pal phoned and managed a few answers from him.

>Does it do this for any and every account on the system?
* Yes, even the Guest account.
>(Create another if you have to.)
* Happens on new account
>Using the welcome screen or Classic Logon screen?
* Tried both with the same recurring problem
> - Does it do this when booting into Safe Mode?
* forgot to ask him this: will suggest next time
> - When he formatted, did he bring anything over from the old install
like using FAST to export his profile and then import it.
* Yes, he did save his profile settings before the format.
> - Right after the install was done, were the symptoms evident - or
was it some time in the future?
* After format, all login accounts were OK: the problem resurfaced after some
time.
> - You said "SP1", any reason this is not an SP2 system yet?
* Hasn't access to the internet most of the time, and reluctant to keep up
with Updates - can't convince him otherwise. (I have the SP2 on CD sent
to me from Microsoft)

He wrote down the specific error message displayed:
"The system could not log you on.
The server authenticating you reported an error (0x00000BB)"
--
Twanny

TRENDING THREADS