Sign in with
Your question

AMD vs Intel

Last response: in CPUs
September 17, 2003 3:20:17 PM

Hi
I am trying to buy with a tight bugdet, the question is simple, please enumerate with the better option first:
a) AMD Athlon XP 2700MHz with single channel 333MHz
b) AMD Athlon XP 2700MHz with dual channel 333MHz
c) Intel P4 2.4GHz with single channel 800MHz
d) Intel P4 2.4GHz with single channel 800MHz

Thanks in advance

More about : amd intel

September 17, 2003 4:08:07 PM

for tight budgets, you are better off with a Barton 2500+, and use the cash saved on the chip to buy an nforce2 mobo. the Epox 8RDA+ motherboard is very good value. This then gives you the opportunity to get 2 sticks of RAM to go dual channel, as well as giving excellent onboard audio so you wouldn't need a sound card.

If you tell us:
<b>a)</b>your exact budget
<b>b)</b>how much stuff you need within that budget(i.e. if you need things like a monitor or if you've already got one you plan to use)
<b>c)</b>What you plan on using this computer for..
..Then ppl can suggest exact specs...

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:
September 17, 2003 4:31:55 PM

d) Intel P4 2.4GHz with single channel 800MHz <- I assume this is supposed to be dual channel.
b) AMD Athlon XP 2700MHz with dual channel 333MHz
c) Intel P4 2.4GHz with single channel 800MHz
a) AMD Athlon XP 2700MHz with single channel 333MHz

Would be my order of choice, there is absolutely no good reason I can think of to not use dual channel memory (ddr400/ddr333). What is a "tight budget" exactly... If it is honestly tight an AXP 1700+ overclocked or a 2500+ overclocked would be a better option than any of the above listed.

Shadus
Related resources
September 17, 2003 6:56:10 PM

How much$ do you have on this tight budget?
September 17, 2003 6:56:12 PM

September 17, 2003 6:56:13 PM

September 17, 2003 6:56:15 PM

September 17, 2003 7:50:24 PM

there is such a negligable performance diffrence than a AXP using dual channel mem and single channel, the end user will notice almost no diffrence. Take the soltek nv400 for example, it uses single channel memory and is just as fast as an A7N8X

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:
September 17, 2003 7:55:53 PM

Nice to see you are back.
September 17, 2003 10:42:34 PM

On a real tight budget put a new duron 266 chip on a good motherboard that will handle the top end ones when ya can afford it. Give intel a miss as a celeron is gunna cost to much for the performance you'll recievce and the P4 range are just to expensive compared to an AMD xp chip, the extra wad of cash is not warrented. It is a pitty that intel wont compete with AMD when it comes to price, but basically intel are still taking advantage of their larger market share. AMD is a very wise chooice as you will save money, get good performance and stick it to intel giving them the message to be more competative. Also don't let intels higher FSB make you believe their chips have much of an advantage.

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!
!