Help with making my laptop & external LCD setup stay as I want it

graco

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Hi.

I have an external flat panel LCD display attached to a my laptop computer.

Everything is working great, however....

I have the laptop set up on the right side as my Primary or Main display, and have Extended the desktop onto the external LCD, which sits to the left. By going into the Control Panel I am able to make this work perfectly.

HOWEVER, when I reboot the machine, put it to sleep, etc. and then start it up again, it always switches back to making the LCD my Primary display.

Does anybody know this this always reverts back to that setting?

Is there a way to make it so the laptop stays as my Primary display???

Just a thought I've had while trying to fix this: When I "Identify" the monitors in the control panel, the laptop display always identifies as "2" because it sits on the RIGHT side. That's always the case, even when it is the Primary display. This might the be issue, but I can't seem to make the Laptop identify as display "1"

Maybe that's not even the issue, though.

PLEASE HELP!!

THANK YOU!!

G

The problem is that laptop are designed to see the external display as a temporary measure and will always revert to the internal display. If you think about it, it would be far more confusing if the computer powered up to the external display, and you had removed that meanwhile.

These things are designed to be idiot proof, as far as possible.

graco

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Thank you.

However, what I want is the opposite.

I want my laptop screen to ALWAYS be the main monitor (with the desktop) and the external as the extra monitor (set up as extended desktop).

The lone problem is that, although I can perfectly set it up this way, it always goes back to making the External my "main" monitor after a reboot.

Why won't the settings save so that my laptop can always be the main monitor??

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
My Compaq w/Radeon HD4200 remembers that it's supposed to use the external (VGA) monitor across reboots and sleeps, as long as the monitor stayed plugged in... I've never had a problem with it remembering settings for the various configuration's I've used. I would try 1) updating your video card driver and 2) setting up the monitors the way you want them using the video card manufacturer's utility.

TRENDING THREADS