latitude C800 video board replacement

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I just replaced an ATI M4 card in my Latitude C800 with a GeForce2 Go card
that I bought off EBay. The ATI card was having artifacts on the screen.

After replacing the card, the video on the internal LCD is very small at
startup. (But the artifacts don't seem to be there anymore) It is also
small under Windows XP unless you set the resolution to its highest setting;
then it takes up the whole screen. I don't want to operate at 1600x1200!
This does not happen with an external monitor. On the external monitor, the
video takes up the whole screen. I swapped the old board back in and still
had a small screen at boot-up but when Windows loaded, it was fine. At one
point I got the NVIDIA card to size properly under XP, but now it's back to
bad size again.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem??? This is quite annoying!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Make sure you completely removed the ATI drivers before you swapped
cards. Before you accept the situation, back up your data, reformat and
reinstall Windows anew - that is a sure fix for the problem, painful as
it may be.

Chris wrote:
> I just replaced an ATI M4 card in my Latitude C800 with a GeForce2 Go card
> that I bought off EBay. The ATI card was having artifacts on the screen.
>
> After replacing the card, the video on the internal LCD is very small at
> startup. (But the artifacts don't seem to be there anymore) It is also
> small under Windows XP unless you set the resolution to its highest setting;
> then it takes up the whole screen. I don't want to operate at 1600x1200!
> This does not happen with an external monitor. On the external monitor, the
> video takes up the whole screen. I swapped the old board back in and still
> had a small screen at boot-up but when Windows loaded, it was fine. At one
> point I got the NVIDIA card to size properly under XP, but now it's back to
> bad size again.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem??? This is quite annoying!
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Chris

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

To fix the small screen at bootup hold down the Font Key hit F7 then release
"Chris" <ijkdc@spamhater.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I just replaced an ATI M4 card in my Latitude C800 with a GeForce2 Go card
>that I bought off EBay. The ATI card was having artifacts on the screen.
>
> After replacing the card, the video on the internal LCD is very small at
> startup. (But the artifacts don't seem to be there anymore) It is also
> small under Windows XP unless you set the resolution to its highest
> setting; then it takes up the whole screen. I don't want to operate at
> 1600x1200! This does not happen with an external monitor. On the external
> monitor, the video takes up the whole screen. I swapped the old board
> back in and still had a small screen at boot-up but when Windows loaded,
> it was fine. At one point I got the NVIDIA card to size properly under
> XP, but now it's back to bad size again.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem??? This is quite annoying!
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Chris

Fn-F7 is what your looking for.

willie

"Chris" <ijkdc@spamhater.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I just replaced an ATI M4 card in my Latitude C800 with a GeForce2 Go card
> that I bought off EBay. The ATI card was having artifacts on the screen.
>
> After replacing the card, the video on the internal LCD is very small at
> startup. (But the artifacts don't seem to be there anymore) It is also
> small under Windows XP unless you set the resolution to its highest
setting;
> then it takes up the whole screen. I don't want to operate at 1600x1200!
> This does not happen with an external monitor. On the external monitor,
the
> video takes up the whole screen. I swapped the old board back in and
still
> had a small screen at boot-up but when Windows loaded, it was fine. At
one
> point I got the NVIDIA card to size properly under XP, but now it's back
> bad size again.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem??? This is quite annoying!
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Chris

While this is a solution, it's not a great one. LCD panels work well at ONE
resolution. Anything else is fuzzy. That's why you should always choose a
laptop that supports the resolution you want, not force the resolution on a
different panel.

"Bill Mills" <williem@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Fn-F7 is what your looking for.
>

> willie
>
> "Chris" <ijkdc@spamhater.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I just replaced an ATI M4 card in my Latitude C800 with a GeForce2 Go
>> card
>> that I bought off EBay. The ATI card was having artifacts on the screen.
>>
>> After replacing the card, the video on the internal LCD is very small at
>> startup. (But the artifacts don't seem to be there anymore) It is also
>> small under Windows XP unless you set the resolution to its highest
> setting;
>> then it takes up the whole screen. I don't want to operate at 1600x1200!
>> This does not happen with an external monitor. On the external monitor,
> the
>> video takes up the whole screen. I swapped the old board back in and
> still
>> had a small screen at boot-up but when Windows loaded, it was fine. At
> one
>> point I got the NVIDIA card to size properly under XP, but now it's back
>> bad size again.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem??? This is quite annoying!
>>

>> Thanks in advance,
>>

>> Chris

The organic entity known as Tom Scales communicated the following:

>>> I don't want to operate at 1600x1200!
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem??? This is quite
>>> annoying!

>> Fn-F7 is what your looking for.

> While this is a solution, it's not a great one. LCD panels work well
> at ONE resolution. Anything else is fuzzy. That's why you should
> always choose a laptop that supports the resolution you want, not
> force the resolution on a different panel.

For the sake of argument that's not strictly true. Half the resolution, in
this case 800x600, always looks good enough too. It's a hell of a waste
though ;)

--
Hans