ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Until recently i was under the impression that there would be two major differences between the 754 pin Athlon 64 and the 940/939 Athlon 64 FX.These two (so i thought) were that the FX supported dual channel memory as opposed to the 64s single channel (ECC blah aside)...and that the 64 would only have 512Kb L2 cache to the FX's 1MB.However, it seems that those 754pin 64 samples that have slipped out had 1MB L2 cache and the 64s are being advertised for preorder now with 1MB L2, as <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11622" target="_new">this Inquirer article</A> says.
So, will there be no 512Kb version of the 754 Athlon 64 and will it only be available as 1MB?If this is so, while the opteron benchmarks have shown that the dual channel offers a great improvement in real bandwidth over single channel with AMD64 cpus, is this enough to merit the huge price disparity between the FX and the 754pin A64, if indeed they have the same L2 cache?This seems especially odd if you also budget in the necessity for registered memory with the 940 pin FXs (and look at the price difference between the 940 and 754 pin mobos).

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ad_rach on 09/18/03 10:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
In about a week from now we will know all about the exact specs and performance of the two chips, from reliable sources. Then we will all be able to answer your question :) Right now, I am personally very tired of guessing and supposing for everything that has to do with A64s !!!

eden

Champion
Honestly it should really be like Intel does, release no goddamn hype data. Let it secret, at least not much hype is built or guesses. You can decide when it comes out.

Man next week, you all better have loaded the site in the early morning, cuz it'll be the slowest thing ever since the Pentium4 Northwood article!

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>