Dell Vs Asus

G

has counting latency become different recently or have people become more picky? I'm fairly sure my 5 year old lcd that I currently use is 8 ms response time, should this dell be about similar? I really want something thats 25+ inches and ips

has counting latency become different recently or have people become more picky? I'm fairly sure my 5 year old lcd that I currently use is 8 ms response time, should this dell be about similar? I really want something thats 25+ inches and ips

Response time measurement hads not changed in the last 5 years.

A 25"+ IPS monitor will cost you a lot of money. For example, the Dell U2711w will cost you $999. Higher quality H-IPS panels are used in 24"+ IPS monitors, will the less expensive to manufacture e-IPS panel are used in monitors the are less than 24". Not sure if there are any 24" monitors that uses an e-IPS panel.

An alternative is the Planar PX2611w (which I have), however production of this monitor has ceased. This means prices has gone up for the remaining inventory. I purchased mine last year for around $780 - $790. The price for a new Planar PX2611w currently ranges between $875 - $1,407.

I forgot that the Dell U2711's resolution is actually 2560 x 1440. I thought it was gonna be a 1920 x 1200 monitor.

That is something you need to consider especially if you are gonna use the monitor to play games. At that resolution I would recommend at least a HD 5870 or the nVidia equivalent unless you do not mind playing games at less than native resolution. At which point you can either have the game stretched to fill the entire screen or opt for 1:1 pixel mode which will use the required number of pixels to display on the screen. Therefore, setting the game's resolution to 1680 x 1050 will result in only those number of pixels to be used and all other pixels will just be black.

Additionally, if you were to watch HD movies on the monitor, then you need to realize that the video will be stretched to fill the entire screen. Or opt for 1:1 pixel mode which will create a black border around the 1920 x 1080 pixels used to display the movie.

When you stretch an image to fill the screen, there will be a minor hit to the image quality. It is not terrible, but it's something you should be aware of.