Yvon

My 4300 is very noisy, is there any way I could make it more quiet?
I think the noise come from a fan, I don't know wich one though. The hard
drive is also noisy but I can live with that.

I will probably buy a new computer in a near futur, I was wondering if I go
with Dell again if I will get another noisy computer. Are the new one
better?

Thank you

Yvon

Your CPU fan either needs 1) cleaned or 2) replaced. CPU fans in some Dell
4300 and 4400 models had weak bearings to begin with and made noise over
time. I seriously doubt it's the power supply fan. Try spraying compressed
air into it (and all other fans in the box) to clean it out. If that doesn't
make it quiet, you can order a replacement CPU fan from Dell for around $12
+ shipping and are a cinch to install.

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:19:40 -0500, Yvon <y_gravel@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My 4300 is very noisy, is there any way I could make it more quiet?
> I think the noise come from a fan, I don't know wich one though. The hard
> drive is also noisy but I can live with that.
>
> I will probably buy a new computer in a near futur, I was wondering if I
> go
> with Dell again if I will get another noisy computer. Are the new one
> better?

Is it hot where you are? When the weather gets hot, my fan sounds like a
leaf blower(like now, I am going around in shirtless - it's stinking hot.
The reason is because the fan speed is determined by CPU
temperature - the hotter the weather, the hotter it gets inside the case,
the hotter the CPU gets.

Also, do you have onboard video? If you do, the CPU has to do all the work
when you play games etc, so that also contributes to the CPU getting
hotter,
hence a noiser fan. My computer is always noisy when I play games.

Buck

Tellme

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Plan on listening to anothr noisy one if you get a Dell. That has been
an ongoing issue for them which has never been solved.

In my last computer I installed 3 different fans, video fan and
processor before it got quiet enough to live in the same room with it.

>My 4300 is very noisy, is there any way I could make it more quiet?
>I think the noise come from a fan, I don't know wich one though. The hard
>drive is also noisy but I can live with that.
>
>I will probably buy a new computer in a near futur, I was wondering if I go
>with Dell again if I will get another noisy computer. Are the new one
>better?
>
>Thank you
>
>Yvon

Dell will replace noisy fans. After the initial replacement, my 8200 is very
quiet. It's 3 years old. So is my wife's 1 year old 4600 which still has
the original fans.