Your question
Closed

ATI Radeon 4800 Forces Nvidia To Make Price Cuts For GTX 260, 280

Last response: in News comments
July 3, 2008 6:44:49 PM

But there are still not Dx10.1
Score
July 3, 2008 6:49:26 PM

Funny how they are still at least $50 too high for 260 cards that get beat up by the cheaper 4870...lawl
Score
Related resources
July 3, 2008 7:19:05 PM

These are guite huge drops, considering the size of g200 chip. I don't expect much more drops until 55nm versions comes out.

Score
July 3, 2008 7:21:27 PM

yaaawwwnn another ham-fisted desperate attempt from Nvidia.... it would be hilarious if the $499 4870X2 beats the cut priced $550 GTX280 :p 
Score
July 3, 2008 7:37:52 PM

yawn indeed. Nvidia is not going to get my money on this one, $300 HD 4870 ftw! :) 

Thank you green team for keeping pricing relatively competative, hopefully this results in a slight ATI price drop.
Score
July 3, 2008 8:36:16 PM

My question is how much can Nvidia really afford to cut the price on their GTX 200 series. The things must be expensive as heck to make with their huge die size and 512-bit bus...
Score
July 3, 2008 9:09:08 PM

ATi FTW

Thou shall not be ANY graphic priced over $250
Score
July 3, 2008 9:42:07 PM

@mf_fm: Except the 4870 X2 which probably will be, but for obvious reasons.
Score
July 3, 2008 11:12:39 PM

Well the question is when will we see the next branch of games.Games these days take years and years to develope wich means that things might slow down soon. If I had known that 5 months later the 8800gt would cost $170. I would have bought an Sli motherboard dam!! to bad P35 mobos ruled back then .Ill wait till the 790i drops or ECS makes one
Score
July 3, 2008 11:16:15 PM

Who cares?
When was the last time we saw a top of the line card for $300??????
Score
July 4, 2008 12:38:33 AM

It needs to be cheaper, but it can't be.
Score
July 4, 2008 12:40:50 AM

lol im sure ati has enough room to drop the 4850's to 150 and the 4870 to $250. nvidia lost this one
Score
July 4, 2008 1:09:22 AM

Yea they lost the battle of mediocrity. gg ATI. I dont understand the excitement unless your happy you can get the Nvidia cards cheaper. That excites me because I thought it would be a while longer before I could afford the 2XX series.
Those 4800 series do look red hot compared to the older architecture but I guess the idea was to catch up with the 8800's and appeal to the thinner wallets.
Score
July 4, 2008 2:00:56 AM

Why would you waste your money on a GTX 200 card (putting your obvious fanboyism aside)?
GTX 260 is beaten by a much cheaper HD 4870, and GTX 280 performance can easily be exceeded with two of them.

Nvidia does not have the upper hand this round, bud. Live with it.
Score
July 4, 2008 2:02:36 AM

two equal cardS will always beat one card until all lanes are filled, which is i.deaL. Once lanes are filled by one card, then its question of which can do best with that. All lanes means 32 at this time or 2-16X. However, NO 32X slot exists at this point, so it will be some time before anyone can compare. We know 4 isn't better than 3, 3 barely better than 2, 2 50% better than 1. yet take guts of 2 equal cards on one card & it would be better yet. However, with NO Super slot to move to, how fast can one 16X card & SLOT go? if slot at TOP, will second do any good. if NOT ,then lot of sli/CrossfireX hybrid is being Intel scam entire time. yet world has moved up(3d numbers) by factor of 8X in
meantime,2005-. So Go Figure. It could be BIG NO brainer, with companies refusing to 32X.

Signed:p HYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK M.D.
Score
Anonymous
July 4, 2008 2:05:57 AM

yes ATI back in the game it took them long enough. and ATI's cards are DX10.1 and its finally taken long enough for ATI to have one of the most decent cards since th 9600-9800 era. i like these price cuts too cause that means these cards are gettin cheaper but im stickin with ATI. I think the dual chips on one card works better since it has a an inigrated bridge for the two instead of the crossfire bridge for two seperate cards but who cares GG ATI!!
Score
July 4, 2008 2:43:00 AM

If the 280 could go a little bit lower (like ~$510), then I'd be willing to at least consider it. Otherwise it looks like ATI wins the price war. I'm still going to hold off on a new card until the 9900s/4870x2 are out though. My G80 8800GTS is still holding out fine, so I can afford to wait and see how things go after the initial surge.

As selfish as it sounds to say it, the more both companies have to drop their prices, the better it gets for me. :D 
Score
July 4, 2008 3:02:39 AM

Nvidia isn't using 55nm yet? LOL!
Score
July 4, 2008 3:10:03 AM

saturn77Nvidia isn't using 55nm yet? LOL!

AMD isnt using 45nm yet? LOL!
Score
July 4, 2008 3:10:40 AM

saturn77Nvidia isn't using 55nm yet? LOL!

They've been one gen behind for years dude.
Score
July 4, 2008 3:19:45 AM

randomizerThey've been one gen behind for years dude.

Evidently not in performance. I know this is a ceremonial day for ATI fans and it should be. They put out two good cards but please. ATI has been absent from anything significant in a good while. I am as glad they put something out there marketable as any of you but for different reasons. Competition drives prices down. Outside of that, they are a glorified S3 platform as far as I am concerned.
Score
July 4, 2008 3:22:56 AM

roofusEvidently not in performance.

I was referring only to the process node. ATI have often been one step ahead. Unfortunately it didn't help them much performance wise, or power consumption wise (2900XT).
Score
July 4, 2008 4:02:32 AM

Nvidia has crapped their pants. They are already offering the 280 for $460 after rebates on newegg. What happened to $600-650? Just goes to show that they have been ripping off people for the past few generations..

Score
July 4, 2008 4:04:25 AM

Hopefully ATI will drop their sweet prices a little to seal the deal.
Score
July 4, 2008 4:40:55 AM

Holy shit, gtx 260 already at $300. If the rest fall to $300 base, im definitely picking up a 260 ftw edition from evga. I'd rather stick with nvidia and upgrade later with the evga program than switch to ati just because the 4870 is competing with the 260.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
July 4, 2008 8:12:31 AM

^.. why would you want to get a GTsuX 260 when you can have a much better performing 4870 for the same price?
Score
July 4, 2008 8:24:04 AM

The 4870 isn't that much faster than the GTX260. It's just alot cheaper (depending on location) and therefore better bang for buck.
Score
July 4, 2008 8:59:02 AM

The 4870 ISNT a lot cheaper anymore. It's going for $300 just as the 260 is going for. The difference is the fact that i can trust nvidia to keep putting out quality cards, so i can use evga's upgrade program if and when i upgrade next. If you don't believe me on the prices check newegg yourself. I already posted the 260 @300 a few posts above. I have more faith in nvidia pumping quality cards out over ati. This is the first time they've actually been able to compete period in a while now.
Score
July 4, 2008 10:17:42 AM

Man Nvidias redistributers are going to be pissssed. The lowering of the prices is going to kill their profit margins.
Score
July 4, 2008 10:40:34 AM

Who said 4870 is cheaper...i typed "same price" ainnit?

As for whether its faster than GTsuX 260 or not...

1) http://techreport.com/articles.x/14990/12 ... faster

2) http://techreport.com/articles.x/14990/9 ... faster

3) http://techreport.com/articles.x/14990/10 ... faster except at 2560

4) http://techreport.com/articles.x/14990/11 ... faster

5) http://techreport.com/articles.x/14990/13 ... MUCH faster

And 4870 will surely be cheaper than the 260 outside of US.

Nuff said.
Score
July 4, 2008 12:24:47 PM

Anyone who buys the 260 is an Nvidia fanboy tool that is under the assumption that Nvidia and quality come hand-in-hand...........lol. There is absolutely no reason to buy the 260 over the 4870, even if they're the same price. The 4870 soundly beats it in every bench, and no EVGA upgrade plan could counter that (why would someone buy a lesser card with plans to replace it in under 90 days when there is no evidence a great card is coming in that time? Foolish and you're just looking for any reason to stick with Nvidia when they've clearly got an inferior product)

Oh and don't forget the 4870's upcoming firmware that will supposedly allow it to surpass the 280. Even if it doesn't quite make it, it will still be a far better deal than the nearly-$300-more 280. This is also a reminder that ATI will be rolling out the 4870x2 which WILL destroy the g280 and be $100-200 cheaper. I'll be waiting for Nvidia fanboys like our friend on the first page to say they're still buying the lesser product at a higher price.
Score
July 4, 2008 12:33:33 PM

BTW I've got an 8800GT so think before you call me an ATI guy. I go for what is a smarter buy (and at the time the 8800GT was the smartest around for GPUs), and people that ally themselves with a single company even through their failings just make me scratch my head. It's your money, always look for what's best to spend it on.
Score
Anonymous
July 4, 2008 1:49:35 PM

Of course you have to remember that ati was going to release their cards a lot cheaper until they found out how much nvidia was charging, so ati can lower the prices ever further and still make money.
Score
July 4, 2008 2:38:09 PM

The 260 gets beat by a lower price 4870. Thats strike one Nvidia. The 200 series doesn't have DX10.1. Thats strike two Nvidia. The 280GTX can be beat by a cheaper CF4870. Thats strike three and your out Nvidia. I think ill go with ATI this time do to DX10.1 with aa4x + af showing the 4870 matching the 280 in crysis. The last benchmark match my setup 1680X1050 22" LCD.
Score
July 4, 2008 3:43:11 PM

Oh yeah ATI. The last time i was this exited was when the X2 was out. ATI FTW
Score
July 4, 2008 6:06:30 PM

Nvidia dropping their prices will just make ati drop their prices. This means that ati will offer even more bang for the buck. Nvidia has dug itself a huge whole considering the yields on their chips are below 40% and this drop in price will kill their profit margins. In the end, everyday people like us don't really care that much as long as we get the best products at the lowest prices. Got to love competition.
Score
July 4, 2008 6:40:54 PM

I find some stuff funny stuff here. This fanboyism is disgusting. It's going to be the same crap when AMD finally comes out with something to compete with intel.. Then everyone will Intel hate and jump on the AMD bandwagon because that's the "cool" thing to do.

This generation is a great thing for the consumer on many fronts.. Cheap high performing gpu solutions, regardless of which company.

To the retard AMD fanboys out there, do you think they would be selling the 4850 and 4870 for such cheap prices if they were the cream of the crop and nvidia wasn't in the picture? Give me a break, they don't do this from the goodness of their hearts or for the consumers well-being in mind. They do it because it's a business. Because they want to make MONEY. No different from nvidia.

I hear points like 4870 beats the 260 at the same price (this is true). Then something like 2 4870s in CF will beat out 280 for a cheaper price (NO LONGER TRUE).. Even if that was a true statement, where is the unbiased follow up? 2 8800GTs in sli rocks the single 4870 at a cheaper price or same price (if you look in the right places).. You don't hear that because that doesn't help the 14 year old baby's case.

Also, some people already bought sli motherboards so the 260 is a better deal for them.. Why spend another few hundred dollars just to have the "better bang for the buck" AMD cards? How does that make ANY sense financially? And you can't fault someone for being an SLI motherboard in the first place because Nvidia has been the best on every front for years now.

I also see no intelligent conversations about CF scaling vs SLI scaling which is a very important thing to consider when deciding on a duel GPU solution.

Think before you speak. Some of you just sound like complete fu*ckin morons. Do what's best for your wallet and needs. Competition is a good thing! Look it up...
Score
July 4, 2008 7:49:28 PM

The benchmarks i have seen lean one way or another depending on what you choose to trust. Not saying that one site would intentionally skew results for their own fanboyism purposes but to say its a unanimous "fact" one is faster than the other is completely wrong. I am guessing you like techreport because they have the numbers YOU want to see.
Elriond, if you want the 260 grab it up. Dont let anonymous haters sway you. If they prefer ATI, great! Somebody has to buy them but that doesnt mean you have to. I am thrilled with the price drops on the 2xx series. For me that is AMD's way of making it right with me for turning out such crap on the CPU side and making me wait to build my new system 4 months longer thabn intended hoping for something really cool. They made my choice of video card cheaper by putting out a nice middle of the road graphics solution and I do appreciate it.
Score
July 5, 2008 1:07:10 AM

Haha, to be honest. I've been waiting for the ati cards to drive the 200 series cards into competitive prices. I was waiting for ati to drive down the prices before i picked up a 260. It would be stupid to switch over to a new motherboard now, i'm running a 750i and i honestly don't see the reason to go out and pick up a new motherboard just because the 4870 beats the 260 right now. I'm glad of the competition honestly because it brings the cards down to reasonable prices where everyone can pick up a new card and not have to pay the usual premium of it being on the bleeding edge.
Score
July 5, 2008 3:08:42 AM

Exactly. I have the 780i and do not see the point in changing even if the ATI cards skunked Nvidia (which they didnt unless you live by the price/preformance index). I usually get the best I can afford at the time providing I do not have to change everything around it.
Besides..the 4870 beats it in some things not all just like a Toyota Corolla gets better gas milage than a GMC Sierra but which one do you want to haul all your burnt up ATI cards to the dump in.
Let them banter more. They dont get to do this often.
Score
July 5, 2008 3:43:57 AM

I sure enjoy reading the Inquirer lately,very entertaining.
Especially Charlie's p.o.v. on "Nvidia's troubles"(evil grin)Muwhahahaha!
Score
July 5, 2008 4:11:45 AM

why is toms always the last website to get the story?
Score
July 5, 2008 4:54:19 AM

Gormeroth,roofus I completely understand. I would would have the same opinion had I bought a Nvidia chpst mobo,tell me how is your SLI systems working out?Nvidia releasing good driver's now THAT WORK?teh.
As for Fanboyism,you sure don't exhibit that.
Oh by all means let the bantering begin.
Nvidiots did the same thing for awhile now,but ATI fans can't.Love that reasoning.
Score
July 5, 2008 5:27:14 AM

Actually, I have never had issues with my Nvidia platform. Not sure why the impression is everyone has issues but no skin off my sack. Cant complain about the SLI. It definitely doesnt have the scaling issues that CF platforms do (in fairness the percieved problems much like the percieved problems with the Nvidia drivers).
Hamburger is cheaper than steak and if there were benchmarks, it would probably display cool bar graphs showing how you can get just as full eating either. Enjoy your hamburgers. :) 
Score
July 5, 2008 5:53:18 AM

Hmmm,I guess the nvidia driver issues in Vista are just a rumour I read about then,ok.
Also everything I have read from youis quite contraryto what I have read everywhere else,but your right.he!
Like your little self assured little burger and steak analogy Hmmm and I just got a 8800gtx a month ago.got it for $200 b/n. hamburger I guess you little girl
Score
July 5, 2008 6:33:32 AM

Oh by the way I still prefer my HD2900 pro 1gb ddr4.
would like to have sent my 8800gtx back,but got a ac accellero extreme for it.I Hate Nvidia,but their cards ok
Score
July 5, 2008 4:41:36 PM

VChuckHmmm,I guess the nvidia driver issues in Vista are just a rumour I read about then,ok.Also everything I have read from youis quite contraryto what I have read everywhere else,but your right.he!Like your little self assured little burger and steak analogy Hmmm and I just got a 8800gtx a month ago.got it for $200 b/n. hamburger I guess you little girl

I wouldnt want to confirm or deny the driver issue with Vista Vchuck. I can only speak of my own experience which has been no issues. I am sure hardware/software configurations come into play so it isnt fair for me to say nobody has issues. I cant imagine liking a 2900 pro over the 8800 lol. A co-worker of mine had one and swapped out a 8600 for it and claims he is much happier so your comment strikes me as odd to say the least.
lol@ "AMD's plan worked". Yes, I am sure they wanted Nvidia to lower their prices to erase the comfortable price range they had all to themselves. Come on! Chances are, they were hoping Nvidia would be stubborn and NOT lower their prices in line with theirs. "Oh I sure hope Nvidia crowds their price structure around ours to void the argument of performance/price" Sure thats what they wanted.
Score
!