Administrator account restricted!

August 28, 2005 1:00:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

We have recently "inherited" a laptop with Windows XP Home Edition
installed.

The unit has a user account "jb". One cannot log on to the Administrator
account - an error message crops up: "Unable to log you on due to an account
restriction".

I only know that there were no passwords set up on this machine. How does
one remove the restriction on the Administrator account? The current user is
set up as a regular user without administrative privileges!

The unit did come with a DELL restore disc as well as the drivers disk. Will
a restore operation allow the Administrator account to be reinstated?

Only thing we know is that the unit was for sometime in the hands of an
"expert" who temporarily installed some "security" software to prevent
fiddling by the household kids. The original owner is no longer available to
ask anything about it.

Thanks in advance for any illumination.

Janus
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 3:52:14 PM

Janus wrote:
> We have recently "inherited" a laptop with Windows XP Home Edition
> installed.
>
> The unit has a user account "jb". One cannot log on to the
> Administrator account - an error message crops up: "Unable to log you
> on due to an account restriction".
>
> I only know that there were no passwords set up on this machine. How
> does one remove the restriction on the Administrator account? The
> current user is set up as a regular user without administrative
> privileges!
> The unit did come with a DELL restore disc as well as the drivers
> disk. Will a restore operation allow the Administrator account to be
> reinstated?
> Only thing we know is that the unit was for sometime in the hands of
> an "expert" who temporarily installed some "security" software to
> prevent fiddling by the household kids. The original owner is no
> longer available to ask anything about it.

If you ever get a used computer from another party (not a vendor - but
sometimes even a vendor) - it is best to format and install clean - that way
you KNOW what is on it.

Second - Windows XP Home? You can only log into the administrator account
in Safe Mode.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks very much indeed for the suggestion which we shall follow up on.

That part of being able to log on to the Administrator account on a WinXP
Home machine was news!

Regards.

Janus

news:o cbsTD$qFHA.3352@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...