Sign in with
Your question

BSOD w/Prime95 outside of SafeMode

Last response: in Windows 7
November 9, 2012 6:06:30 PM

I receive a BSOD right away when I run Prime95 however when I run Prime95 in SafeMode there are no problems. I am assuming this means there is a driver conflict outside of SafeMode and if so how shoudl I tackle this?
I ran MemTest on each Ram individually and together and no errors came back. All of my tempuatures are fine and my bios is the latest version.

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-M PRO with the latest bios 3905
Processor: Intel i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
RAM: 2X4GB Kingston DDR3 1333MHz
Graphics Card: GT560 Nvidia Drivers 306.97
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 600W
HDD: Seagate SATA 500GB 16MB
Case: Thermaltake V3 – Intake (2 x 120mm), Exhaust (2 x 120mm, 1 x 92mm)
Core Temperatures;
1 Min 28c – Max 37c
2 Min 28c – Max 40c
3 Min 28c – Max 38c
4 Min 23c – Max 34c

System Information (local)

computer name: ROBBY-PC
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 8553111552 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1970597888

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 11/9/2012 9:30:50 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\110912-48859-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x12A3B)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8007E6E028, 0xBE000000, 0x800400)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 11/9/2012 9:30:50 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0x1E3)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8007E6E028, 0xBE000000, 0x800400)
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 11/9/2012 9:08:42 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\110912-28329-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x12A3B)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8007D76028, 0xBE000000, 0x800400)

3 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Consider configuring your system to produce a full memory dump for better analysis.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

More about : bsod prime95 safemode

a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 9, 2012 7:25:02 PM

Acording to the BSOD description the cause of the crash is hardware related and specificlt temperature. Either the cpu or the ram is having a temp issue. Are you trying to overclock the cpu and by what settings ?
Prime 95 is a stress test that will stress the cpu and ram to 100% and therefore raising the temps , so what multiplier number are you setting on the cpu ?
m
l
November 9, 2012 7:56:05 PM

inzone said:
Acording to the BSOD description the cause of the crash is hardware related and specificlt temperature. Either the cpu or the ram is having a temp issue. Are you trying to overclock the cpu and by what settings ?
Prime 95 is a stress test that will stress the cpu and ram to 100% and therefore raising the temps , so what multiplier number are you setting on the cpu ?

The motherboard variably overclocks the system but I have tested it with the variable overclocking off and on, and I get the same results. I ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and everything was ok and the CPU temp was good. When I run Prime95 in SafeMode I have no problems but outside of SafeMode it results in an instantaneous BSOD. I haven't paid much attention to the temperature reference because my temps are always fine in multiple tests. Could the system really heat up that fast and cause a crash and why would it only BSOD outside of SafeMode?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 9, 2012 8:10:18 PM

If there is a conflict with Prime and another program or harware then it would happen instantly and by it not happening in safe mode it means that it must be driver related.
Try going into the action center and running the trouble shooter and see what it comes up with.
m
l
!