How do I save all the windows updates

August 28, 2005 11:02:57 PM

How do I save all the windows updates I have downloaded, save me from doing
it again if I need to reinstall? Thanks

More about : save windows updates

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:02:58 PM

David Duffield wrote:
> How do I save all the windows updates I have downloaded, save me from
> doing it again if I need to reinstall? Thanks

You'll have to download them individually and save them. The ones you
install using AU are not stored in a useable manner for you to backup.

Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
http://snipurl.com/8bqy

Order the Free Windows XP SP2 CD
http://snipurl.com/8umo

You can download all updates and burn them to CD..

You can download each update manually - based off the KB Article number,
etc. That way you can back it up/burn a CD of them in case you need them or
use them to keep a slipstream/integrated (updated) Windows XP CD.

How to use the Windows Update Catalog
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323166
(In order to use the Windows Update Catalog, you must use IE to get the
patches..)

Windows Update Catalog
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/defaul...
(In order to use the Windows Update Catalog, you must use IE to get the
patches..)

Creating an Integrated Installation
http://snipurl.com/el43

Integrate software updates into your Windows installation source files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828930

Really customize your CD..
http://unattended.msfn.org/

Produce an up-to-date XP Distibution CD
http://xpcreate.com/

You can see the critical (security and other) patches released for a given
month using the following:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms##...***.mspx

At the end of this line you see "ms##-***.mspx" .. If you simply replace ##
with the two-digit year and the *** with the three character month
abbreviation, you will see the list of "critical" and "important" patches
for that month (since it only happens once a month usually, if you check by
the second Tuesday (wait until afternoon) of each month - you should be
fine) - note that future months will not work.

As an example...

December 2004's patches..
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04...

March 2005's patches..
None released.. so that one will fail...

May 2005's patches..
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05...

July 2005's patches..
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05...

Once you get on the page with each month's list of patches.. You can go to
the related KB articles and grab the appropriate files from there.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Autopatcher is updated monthly with all updates Very convenient, easy to use.
It recognises which updates are already installed and gives info on each
update including link to MS article. Free

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=334257

!