Jul 18, 2011
Want new headphones
Gaming and Music Listening
Not Serious Gamer
Not Audiophile
Going to be using ASUS P6Z68 V Pro MOBO's onboard audio
care more for sound quality and bass
surround sound is always a plus, but not necessary

Grado SR60i, Logitech G35, or something else you guys recommend ( under 150-200 plz)

Solution
how do you plan on using the headphones without a soundcard?

i am unaware as to whether the portable game systems have a headphone out.
and if they do..
i havent heard anything about the output quality.

**edit**

if the soundcard drivers are installed for the realtek soundcard.. you should be able to look at the control panel of the onboard soundcard.
when it installs itself.. it puts an icon by the clock.
also a listing in the start/programs list.

anyways..
this website says the drivers come with an equalizer that can control all of the audio that comes out of the computer:
http://www.realtek.com/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=284

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
I don't think your onboard audio will be doing any surround effects. If you want sound-quality and good bass, use an equalizer and I recommend getting a dedicated headphones amplifier.

Check out Sennheiser headphones, they make some serious headphones.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
You can use a software equalizer...and they are free, I highly recommend it. Music quality sucks unless I get to equalize it, because some songs favor different frequencies and require completely different ratios of those frequencies to sound good...or as good as I like for that matter.

And if you get good headphones...your onboard audio will really suck.

I'll be honest with you, 2 years ago, I bought a pair of headphones from JVC for $15 bucks and since I rarely listen to headphones, I use them occasionally. They sound 100x better when I connect them to my receiver (and its a cheap receiver also) compared to when I use onboard audio (Asus P6T motherboard). Less noise and much more powerful sound, especially bass. This means my even cheap receiver has better headphone amplifier. If I notice the difference with a $15 headphones...I think you'll notice with $200 headphones.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
this would be a rare instance where the harmonic distortion and signal to noise ratio are quite a perfect match with the harmonic distortion and dynamic peaks the speaker inside the headphone are prepared to reproduce 'naturally'

kinda like being a person who likes to jog everyday.
and then meeting a woman who also likes to jog everyday.
the match is perfect because both of them dont walk or run as fast as they can.

some truth..
thinking this way goes way back into history, and if you look at the products available of the past.. you should know going backwards is the wrong way.

i think the example shown from the $15 headphones is:
the cost was $15 .. but the value matches something in the $70 range.

the headphones i got cost $80 .. and some of the reviewers said the value of the headphones matches something in the $300 range.

crappy headphones with a crappy audio file = you dont know which one is the problem.
and you wont know how much better it can be.

when the headphones are good..
you can hear the shortcomings of the audio file.
and when you compare one sample rate and bit depth with a different sample rate and bit depth.. you will be able to 'test' the difference rather than 'guess'

nothing magical can happen until the signal to noise ratio and harmonic distortion improves.
any match-making will fall short because of the limit with the signal to noise ratio and harmonic distortion.

an improper match can fall short before the limit.. that is the entire concept behind high compression and speakers that are made to play the high compression.

when the match is made..
a small bit more of audio will pour out of the speaker.

when the upgrade is made..
a huge amount of audio will pour out of the speaker.
if the audio file is a junk mp3 .. you are going to hear why it is junk IF your soundcard or receiver is also high quality.

the only way to know the difference is if you listen to something of better quality and then go back to the bad quality.
we (well i do, for certain) struggle to get people listening to the higher quality for the first time so they can go back and realize how bad the old quality is.

**edit**

i have the grado sr60i headphones.
they are junk.

i went out and tested the sony mbr-xb500 and could notice the difference right away.
the salesperson used their cell phone to pull up pandora to play some music.
when i got the headphones home and connected them to my audio hardware.. the sound quality improvement went up.

there was another pair of headphones (made by phillips i believe) and they sounded better than the grado sr60i headphones.
but
you could clearly hear the speakers trying much harder and doing things wrong.

the sony headphones sound better than all of the bose headphones on display.

foverosiv

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
right... so why are the grado sr60i bad? also, I'm not a serious music listener so unless the good headphones actually make normal music sound bad, I think I'd go with the good headphones.

foverosiv

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
also, I will not be plugging my headphones directly to the motherboard, I'll connect my crappy speaker to the motherboard, then plug the headphones to the speaker. I'm not sure what you meant by a receiver, so I'm guessing its the crappy speakers I have. if not, please correct me

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
one problem with the sony XBASS headphones, there soundstage is tiny.

bass isnt very much louder then i thuoght it would be according to reviewers on amazon. i guess they just havent heard good bass...

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007

bad music files make good headphones prove themselves as being good.
the low quality audio files cannot make good headphones sound bad.
the good headphones reveal the truth of the low quality audio file.
mp3's can still sound okay.
it depends on the compression used to shrink the file.
and besides.. there is a lot of music at CD quality, without much of anything in DVD quality or better.
all of that stuff will be hitting the stores soon though.
concerts on blu-ray are pretty stupid when most of us want the studio recording on blu-ray.
hopefully we will get some studio recordings in the 'extra features' portion of a concert blu-ray.

what some of us try to say.. and what many people dont realize..
the audio quality is going to go up, thanks to blu-ray audio.
many of the headphones out there wont show much of a difference at all except some extra treble.

headphones can get really good, and they can make a good mp3 sound better than it did before.
you can sometimes hear some space in the speakers.. it sounds like 'air'
and you can tell the mp3 audio isnt fill up all of the air.
but the audio still sounds better than it did before.

if you want to hear what i have to say about the grado sr60i headphones.. read here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/57928-6-dollar-headphone#t384750

a receiver is simply an audio amplifier with a dolby digital and dts decoder inside.
there is also an am/fm tuner for the radio.
you can connect all sorts of things to it..
cd players, dvd players, blu-ray players, cassette decks, ipods, cell phone audio.. whatever has an audio output.
but speakers dont come with a receiver unless you buy an 'all in one' unit.
the onboard soundcard could probably power some headphones.. but you might find the volume gets louder if you connect them to the headphone output of your amplified speaker set.

at stock without any effects at all.. the scoring goes out towards the edges of the speaker enclosure and an inch or two beyond.
the pads themselves are actually 1 and a half inches (plus an 8th of an inch approx)
the vocals are up close an in your head, rather that outside of your head.
but
there are a dozen audio plugins out there that aim to fix that.. basically simple stereo wideners.
i can turn on the cmss-3d on my x-fi soundcard and the vocals willingly go out.
it doesnt sound very good for music because the effect is ment for movies and video games.
if you want your stereo wide.. use a stereo widener (or expander).

i have listened to rap.. pop.. rock.. and dance/techno without any need to turn down the bass.
but
then i throw in some classic rock from the 1970's and there are songs that need the bass turned down.
i think it should be expected though.. because the speakers back then where not the same capable speakers of today.
nobody listened to bass much back then.. but some songs over-emphasize the bass and you can really hear it when they do.

i really think if you are complaining about an 'inside' soundstage.. these probably wont go outwards enough to please the person.
i've heard headphones with a far out soundstage and i basically ended up complaining about it because the sound was too far away and i couldnt make out what i was trying to listen to.
the more i would zoom in and try.. the louder things were when i took the headphones off.
could lead to a headache and illness if the combination of noises are correct.

i havent done a whole lot of playing with the soundstage.
but
i know i heard it go out wider some.
i dont think i am going to download the same music programs as i used to.. and that means no audio plugins.
(but knowing me.. that could change at a moments whim)

the bass can get loud.
loud enough that the headphones flap back and forth on your head.
nothing really to brag about with that kind of bass.. since i have heard headphones do that since the early 1990's.
but
these headphones go the extra mile and then some compared to those old 'studio' headphones.

i wouldnt call the 'scoring' tiny.
because as i said..
the effects stem out 4-5 inches max.

**edit**

there has been some times when i look around and some of the audio appears to be as if i am not wearing the headphones.
but
that could be my own personal depression and adrenaline rush altering the way i hear the audio.
4-5 inches max should be easily obtainable on a regular occurance.. as long as the source audio contains the effect.

foverosiv

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
well. so where can I find one of these equalizer softwares? I've tried googling it but all I can find are music players with equalizers that only effects the current playing music on the player, any other sound have no effect on the equalizer.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
an equalizer isnt going to do you a single bit of good without a microphone that has been calibrated at a professional sound lab.

any time you use an equalizer without the microphone.. you should be using bass/midrange/treble knobs.

BUT
sometimes you can lower a frequency more accurate when there are a bunch of graphic knobs with a frequency.
helps to remove an annoying scream.

almost all soundcards come with an equalizer.
sometimes you download and install the drivers and *poof* there they are in the new control panel for the soundcard.

other times..
you have to go out there and find the control panel manually.
but
usually the soundcard will come with everything and give you the option to install the 'light' or 'gamer' version that contains only the minimal software needed to make the soundcard functional.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007

i already said use the soundcard to answer your question about changing the audio from MORE than the music player.

asking again..
well i would think maybe you could start with cleaning your ears.
or
listening to a pin drop.
or
listening closely to vibrations from a tuning fork (or something else that is pretty much guaranteed to keep the same frequency)

practicing any of those three above would help you 'find an equalizer that works for all sounds'

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
how do you plan on using the headphones without a soundcard?

i am unaware as to whether the portable game systems have a headphone out.
and if they do..
i havent heard anything about the output quality.

**edit**

if the soundcard drivers are installed for the realtek soundcard.. you should be able to look at the control panel of the onboard soundcard.
when it installs itself.. it puts an icon by the clock.
also a listing in the start/programs list.

anyways..
this website says the drivers come with an equalizer that can control all of the audio that comes out of the computer:
http://www.realtek.com/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=284

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.