Windows Won't boot, Missing File. Please Help!

Now I'm really in trouble!

My computer won't boot, and says " Windows could not start because the
following file is missing or corrupt:
\Windows\system32\config\system.

It will boot from the CD rom, but I don't know how to fix the file. I read
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545 but this is an OEM version, and
I've read it can lock me out.

If I reload XP, will it wipe out all my software?

Please help!
4 answers Last reply
More about windows boot missing file help

    Do a Repair install and you should not lose your installed software

    --
    Peter

    "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0310B4D-90B2-48AF-B99A-56B64F28064B@microsoft.com...
    > Now I'm really in trouble!
    >
    > My computer won't boot, and says " Windows could not start because the
    > following file is missing or corrupt:
    > \Windows\system32\config\system.
    >
    > It will boot from the CD rom, but I don't know how to fix the file. I read
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545 but this is an OEM version, and
    > I've read it can lock me out.
    >
    > If I reload XP, will it wipe out all my software?
    >
    > Please help!

    "r" brings me to the recovery console, I'm not sure what to do next!

    Jay wrote:

    > "r" brings me to the recovery console, I'm not sure what to do next!
    >
    > "Peter Foldes" wrote:
    >

    >>Do a Repair install and you should not lose your installed software
    >>
    >>--
    >>Peter
    >>
    >>Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    >>Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
    >>
    >>"Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0310B4D-90B2-48AF-B99A-56B64F28064B@microsoft.com...
    >>
    >>>Now I'm really in trouble!
    >>>
    >>>My computer won't boot, and says " Windows could not start because the
    >>>following file is missing or corrupt:
    >>>\Windows\system32\config\system.
    >>>
    >>>It will boot from the CD rom, but I don't know how to fix the file. I read
    >>>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545 but this is an OEM version, and
    >>>I've read it can lock me out.
    >>>
    >>>If I reload XP, will it wipe out all my software?
    >>>
    >>>Please help!

    Don't take the first R, bypass that. Later after it detects the current
    installation it will give the option to repair. See this link for info
    on how to do a repair install:

    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    > "r" brings me to the recovery console, I'm not sure what to do next!

    Don't use that "R", use the next one.

    Repair Installation of WinXP:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE