Which Athlon to get?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of getting the parts for a new system. I was going to go for the XP3000 with the 333mhz FSB but when looking at the dabs.com site noticed they list a 400mhz FSB XP3000. Only thing is it has 'long lead time expected'. I presume the processor isn't out yet. As I need the computer built by the end of next month (University calls!) does anyone know whether this will be out soon. If it is alread out (!) are there any other stockists that are selling it?

One last thing is I currently have the following parts:

Coolermaster ATC 710
Globalwin 420w PSU
4 Coolermaster Fans
Creative GF FX 5900 Ultra
Creative SB Audigy 2
Western Digital SATA 120GB HD

I was thinking of getting the Gigabyte 7NNXP (nForce 2 v2) and 2x256Mb Crucial DDR3200 RAM. Can anyone see any problems with this config? I'll mostly be gaming and doing a bit of 3D CAD with the computer.

Thanks a lot and sorry for all the questions!

Best Regards,
Gary Hendricks
<A HREF="http://www.desktop-video-guide.com" target="_new">http://www.desktop-video-guide.com</A>
8 answers Last reply
More about which athlon
  1. You can get the 3000+ 400FSB at Newegg.com
    <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?featureItem=1&description=19-103-394&DEPA=0" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?featureItem=1&description=19-103-394&DEPA=0</A>
    That is the OEM version. You can also get retail version.
    I noticed that the clock speed is lower on the 400 FSB on versus the 333FSB. I was wondering if it would be better to get the 333 and overclock it?
  2. Would you be overclocking?
    Have you considered getting a Pentium 4?
  3. If you are in the 3000+ price range, a P4C would be a better deal in price/performance. A 2.8C is in most cases faster and costs about the same.
  4. Are you crazy? Am I just dizzy or do you really have a 5900 Ultra there? I guess you haven't been doing your homework lately when it comes to computer hardware, have you?

1. Remove the 5900 Ultra and go with Radeon 9800 Pro. It will probably be cheaper and it will deffinetely be faster!
    2. The processor you mention is already out, but there isn't a big difference in performance between the two.
    3. The only reasoning for someone choosing AMD over Intel right now, is if they want to save some money by buying a 2500+ and overclock it to 3200+. Otherwise, if you have enough money for buying the 3000+, you should better go with Intel. Asus P4P800 Deluxe & Pentium 4 2.6c would be a great choice, probably faster than the 3000+ and with much bigger upgrade potential than an nforce2 mobo, which can go only up to 3200+.
  5. Really, man. 2500+ is the only AthlonXP to be bought. 95% of the 2500+ can easily go to 200MHz FSB (400MHz FSB DDR) without trouble. With decent cooling 2.3GHz or above is not a problem. GA-7NNXP is the most expensive nForce2 mobo you can get. Unless you need the extra IDE+SATA RAID (which you don't need judging from your post), and the Gigabit LAN; or else Abit NF7-S, Asus A7N8X Deluxe, Epox 8RDA3+ are top 3 selection of nForce2 mobo. With the money saved from getting 2500+ instead of 3000+ and Abit, Asus, or Epox instead of Gigabyte, you can almost get 2x512MB of Corsair XMS3200LL/CAS2. Then you just overclock this rig to hell!

Me fail English? That's Unpossible!
    <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
  6. Your exactly right.

Dazzle them with Brilliance, or Baffle them with BS! :wink:
  7. Rcpilot is right. I have a XP2400 with the L12 mod (you get a defroster repair kit from an auto parts store and paint a line between two pins...thats it!! It's not needed ot the 2500 Barton though) running at 225 FSB or 450 MHz DDR on an Abit NF7-S There is no reason to buy a 400 MHz Barton $$$ when a $90.00 one will run at 450 MHz or more. I use software that requires a 100% stable system so I keep it at 450 MHz but I sure I could get more out of it. If you were going to spend the money to get a XP3000-XP3200, I would get an Intel. But an Abit NF7 at 93.00 (Newegg) + an XP2500 at 90.00 (Newegg)= $183.00...less that the cost of just a 2600 P4 at $208.00 Then you would still have to buy a mobo. An overclocked AMD (2600 or lower) still gives you the best bang for the buck, but if money is no object, Intel offers the best performance as long as you buy a 3 GHz or more P4 or overclock a slower one such as the 2400 C P4 (still $171.00 at Newegg)

Bill
  8. Myself, I went with the XP2800+ with the 333 FSB. I got it from a vendor through Pricewatch.com. If you have the time and watch the listings on PriceWatch some good deals can be had. I am a big fan of AMD and look at Intel with the same disgust I do BillyWare from MicroShaft. But unlike MicroShaft, I do beleive that Intel puts out a good product. The real problem I have with Intel is that they want both arms and both your legs for their products. That and they seem to want to dictate to the market instead of respond to it. I've read where Intel thinks that 64 bit computing isn't needed yet. That tells me that they have a bunch of 32 bit products in the pipeline and would loose a ton of money if the AMD64 catches on.

Unfortunately for both AMD & Intel, IBM and Apple beat both of them to the market with a 64 bit desktop CPU and system. It's time for Intel to wake up and realize what the term "Free Market Economy" means. And as for the IBM/Apple offerings, I'm glad they are out there! Competition is the key to keep the prices down for the consumer and the level of innovation up.

I'm done ranting now. 8-D

Is it supposed to smoke like that? 8-D
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooler Master