how to relocate settings to another partition?

I'm doing a clean install of xp sp2.

I see how I can relocate 'my documents' to another partition/drive... but is
there a way to relocate 'Documents and Settings' to another drive/partition?
I was trying to get all the stuff I want to backup on the same drive.
4 answers Last reply
More about relocate settings partition

    USe" File and setting Transfer wizaaed"
    Click Start button.
    Go to All Programs->Accessories->System tools->File and setting Transfer
    wizaaed.

    OK.

    lsh wrote:
    > I'm doing a clean install of xp sp2.
    >
    > I see how I can relocate 'my documents' to another partition/drive... but is
    > there a way to relocate 'Documents and Settings' to another drive/partition?
    > I was trying to get all the stuff I want to backup on the same drive.

    This can be done during the initial install, but not afterwards. See
    this article:

    An error message informs you that you cannot move or rename the
    Documents and Settings folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314843

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Swapnesh wrote:

    > USe" File and setting Transfer wizaaed"
    > Click Start button.
    > Go to All Programs->Accessories->System tools->File and setting Transfer
    > wizaaed.
    >
    > OK.
    > "lsh" <lsh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm doing a clean install of xp sp2.
    >>
    >>I see how I can relocate 'my documents' to another partition/drive... but
    >
    > is
    >
    >>there a way to relocate 'Documents and Settings' to another
    >
    > drive/partition?
    >
    >> I was trying to get all the stuff I want to backup on the same drive.

    That can't move the folder to a different location. Btw, check the
    date, you're off by a day.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    That let's me move it from the old system on the old drive to the new drive,
    but I want to move it do a different drive than the windows xp is installed
    on.

    The wizard won't let me specify the location so that I can say where I want
    it to put the settings.

    "Swapnesh" wrote:

    > USe" File and setting Transfer wizaaed"
    > Click Start button.
    > Go to All Programs->Accessories->System tools->File and setting Transfer
    > wizaaed.
    >
    > OK.
    > "lsh" <lsh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm doing a clean install of xp sp2.
    > >
    > > I see how I can relocate 'my documents' to another partition/drive... but
    > is
    > > there a way to relocate 'Documents and Settings' to another
    > drive/partition?
    > > I was trying to get all the stuff I want to backup on the same drive.

Partition Windows XP