how to relocate settings to another partition?

I'm doing a clean install of xp sp2.

I see how I can relocate 'my documents' to another partition/drive... but is
there a way to relocate 'Documents and Settings' to another drive/partition?
I was trying to get all the stuff I want to backup on the same drive.

USe" File and setting Transfer wizaaed"
Click Start button.
Go to All Programs->Accessories->System tools->File and setting Transfer
wizaaed.

OK.
"lsh" <lsh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm doing a clean install of xp sp2.
>
> I see how I can relocate 'my documents' to another partition/drive... but
is
> there a way to relocate 'Documents and Settings' to another
drive/partition?
> I was trying to get all the stuff I want to backup on the same drive.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

lsh wrote:
> I'm doing a clean install of xp sp2.
>
> I see how I can relocate 'my documents' to another partition/drive... but is
> there a way to relocate 'Documents and Settings' to another drive/partition?
> I was trying to get all the stuff I want to backup on the same drive.

This can be done during the initial install, but not afterwards. See
this article:

An error message informs you that you cannot move or rename the
Documents and Settings folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314843

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Swapnesh wrote:

> USe" File and setting Transfer wizaaed"
> Click Start button.
> Go to All Programs->Accessories->System tools->File and setting Transfer
> wizaaed.
>
> OK.
> "lsh" <lsh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>I'm doing a clean install of xp sp2.
>>
>>I see how I can relocate 'my documents' to another partition/drive... but
>
> is
>
>>there a way to relocate 'Documents and Settings' to another
>
> drive/partition?
>
>> I was trying to get all the stuff I want to backup on the same drive.

That can't move the folder to a different location. Btw, check the
date, you're off by a day.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

That let's me move it from the old system on the old drive to the new drive,
but I want to move it do a different drive than the windows xp is installed
on.

The wizard won't let me specify the location so that I can say where I want
it to put the settings.

"Swapnesh" wrote:

> USe" File and setting Transfer wizaaed"
> Click Start button.
> Go to All Programs->Accessories->System tools->File and setting Transfer
> wizaaed.
>
> OK.
> "lsh" <lsh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm doing a clean install of xp sp2.
> >
> > I see how I can relocate 'my documents' to another partition/drive... but
> is
> > there a way to relocate 'Documents and Settings' to another
> drive/partition?
> > I was trying to get all the stuff I want to backup on the same drive.

TRENDING THREADS