Dell XP Reinstallation CD

billy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003

How is it different from a native XP CD? I want to reinstall XP without all
the extra stuff that Dell put on the pre-built machine. What is the
difference? There seems to be a Dell cab file in an OEM directory on the CD.
What is this?

It will install a clean copy of XP. Nothing else. The Dell folder adds any
OS updates available at the time the CD was made.

"Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> How is it different from a native XP CD? I want to reinstall XP without
> all
> the extra stuff that Dell put on the pre-built machine. What is the
> difference? There seems to be a Dell cab file in an OEM directory on the
> CD.
> What is this?

billy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003

Thanks. How do I activate the CD, and do I need a key? I don't recall being
provided one in the CD's that came with the system.

Billy wrote:

> Thanks. How do I activate the CD, and do I need a key? I don't recall being
> provided one in the CD's that came with the system.

You don't need either. The CD is tied to the Dell BIOS and will
recognize it when you install.

Bob

Bob,
Will flashing the BIOS at a later point create a problem with
re-installing XP.
Paul

"Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Billy wrote:
>
>> Thanks. How do I activate the CD, and do I need a key? I don't recall
>> being
>> provided one in the CD's that came with the system.
>
> You don't need either. The CD is tied to the Dell BIOS and will recognize
> it when you install.
>
> Bob

"Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote:

>Thanks. How do I activate the CD, and do I need a key? I don't recall being
>provided one in the CD's that came with the system.

Did you look at your computer case? Generally, beside/below the
sticker with your Dell Service Tag and Express Service Code
numbers there is another sticker, this one the MS Certificate of
Authenticity that has the key code for your XP OS.
--
OJ III

Apparently, _Ogden Johnson III_, on 19/11/04 16:16,typed:
> "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Thanks. How do I activate the CD, and do I need a key? I don't recall being
>>provided one in the CD's that came with the system.
>

> Did you look at your computer case? Generally, beside/below the
> sticker with your Dell Service Tag and Express Service Code
> numbers there is another sticker, this one the MS Certificate of
> Authenticity that has the key code for your XP OS.

Just a little question, I got a Dell computer from somebody (who bought
a new one and wanted to give away the older Dell). Of the bunch of CD's
that the guy gave, the XP Home CD is scratched or something and recently
when I tried to reisntall the OS, the install process hanged. I also
tried reading the CD, it hangs there as well.

Now, would the XP-Home CD that came with a Dell Laptop work in the
desktop with the desktop's key?

"H. S." wrote:
> Just a little question, I got a Dell computer from somebody (who bought
> a new one and wanted to give away the older Dell). Of the bunch of CD's
> that the guy gave, the XP Home CD is scratched or something and recently
> when I tried to reisntall the OS, the install process hanged. I also
> tried reading the CD, it hangs there as well.
>
> Now, would the XP-Home CD that came with a Dell Laptop work in the
> desktop with the desktop's key?

If you try it, please post your results here.

*TimDaniels*

The laptop disk should just fine. Just use the desktop's key.
The CDs only look for a Dell BIOS.

"H. S." <g_reate_xcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Apparently, _Ogden Johnson III_, on 19/11/04 16:16,typed:
>> "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks. How do I activate the CD, and do I need a key? I don't recall
>>>being
>>>provided one in the CD's that came with the system.
>>

>> Did you look at your computer case? Generally, beside/below the
>> sticker with your Dell Service Tag and Express Service Code
>> numbers there is another sticker, this one the MS Certificate of
>> Authenticity that has the key code for your XP OS.
>
> Just a little question, I got a Dell computer from somebody (who
> bought a new one and wanted to give away the older Dell). Of the bunch
> of CD's that the guy gave, the XP Home CD is scratched or something
> and recently when I tried to reisntall the OS, the install process
> hanged. I also tried reading the CD, it hangs there as well.
>
> Now, would the XP-Home CD that came with a Dell Laptop work in the
> desktop with the desktop's key?

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Bob Levine wrote:

> Billy wrote:
>
>> Thanks. How do I activate the CD, and do I need a key? I don't recall
>> being
>> provided one in the CD's that came with the system.
>
> You don't need either. The CD is tied to the Dell BIOS and will
> recognize it when you install.

True. You can also use the Dell CD to install XP on a non Dell computer,
but then you'll need a COA.

Been there, done that, because IBM hasn't been able to send me working
recovery CDs for my ThinkPad.

billy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003

No, didn't even think about it. I'll take a look, but it is the laptop that
I purchased the s/w with, so I think I will not need it as the other poster
said. Thanks everyone!

Paul Schilter wrote:

> Bob,
> Will flashing the BIOS at a later point create a problem with
> re-installing XP.
> Paul

It shouldn't.

Bob

Hello,

What you have is a OEM copy of Windows XP from Dell.

This CD will install XP on any computer provided you have the COA (Little
sticker that is attached to the Dell Computer that it came with)

The thing about the OEM software is that individuals looking to buy a LEGAL
copy of XP are better off buying OEM as you can get it much cheaper versus
the full retail price

Full Retail approx - $198.00
OEM - $59 to $79.00

OEM sales are legal as long as they are sold with a qualifying piece of
hardware (harddrive, etc) AND the COA that was attached to the original
computer.

The original installation of the OEM software has to be removed from the
original system, etc.

Do a search on Ebay (Ebay stores too) for XP HOME and you will find several
copies being LEGALLY sold for MUCH cheaper than the retail jacked up price.

--
JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION
Technical Support Team

Visit our forums for FREE technical support at
http://jlaenterprises.ath.cx/phpbb2/index.php

Check out some of the items we are offering
Dell Laptop Docking Stations starting at $5.00
Dell 20" Sony Trinitron Flat Screen Monitors starting at $35.00
Dell 21" Flat Screen Monitors starting at $40.00
Dell Latitude and Inspiron CD Rom and Floppy Drives starting at $5.00

Be sure to visit http://www.jlaenterprises.com

"JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION" wrote:

> What you have is a OEM copy of Windows XP from Dell.
>
> This CD will install XP on any computer provided you have the
> COA (Little sticker that is attached to the Dell Computer that
> it came with)
>
> The thing about the OEM software is that individuals looking
> to buy a LEGAL copy of XP are better off buying OEM as you
> can get it much cheaper versus the full retail price
>
> Full Retail approx - $198.00
> OEM - $59 to $79.00
>
> OEM sales are legal as long as they are sold with a qualifying
> piece of hardware (harddrive, etc) AND the COA that was
> attached to the original computer.
>
> The original installation of the OEM software has to be
> removed from the original system, etc.
>
> Do a search on Ebay (Ebay stores too) for XP HOME and
> you will find several copies being LEGALLY sold for MUCH
> cheaper than the retail jacked up price.

What does "COA" stand for?

I presume you mean to say that one must know the sequence
of alphanumeric characters printed on the sticky label. What
does one do with those characters or "serial number"?

Can one (as opposed to "may" one) install an OEM operating
system on more than one PC sequentially if the installs are
more than 120 days apart?

*TimDaniels*

stan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> What does "COA" stand for?
>
> I presume you mean to say that one must know the sequence
> of alphanumeric characters printed on the sticky label. What
> does one do with those characters or "serial number"?
>
> Can one (as opposed to "may" one) install an OEM operating
> system on more than one PC sequentially if the installs are
> more than 120 days apart?

COA stands for Certificate of Authenticity.

DELL OEM Win XP searches for BIOS.

You can install an OEM CD on as many computers as you like, provided that you
have a unique and never-used COA for each... Ben Myers

Timothy Daniels wrote:
> "H. S." wrote:
>
>> Just a little question, I got a Dell computer from somebody (who
>> bought a new one and wanted to give away the older Dell). Of the bunch
>> of CD's that the guy gave, the XP Home CD is scratched or something
>> and recently when I tried to reisntall the OS, the install process
>> hanged. I also tried reading the CD, it hangs there as well.
>>
>> Now, would the XP-Home CD that came with a Dell Laptop work in the
>> desktop with the desktop's key?
>

> If you try it, please post your results here.
>
> *TimDaniels*

I tried once again using the Dell's Windows XP home edition cd to
reinstall Windows on the Dell desktop. It hung up apparently due to
scratches on the Dell Windows XP CD. So I just used the XP Home edition
CD that came with my wife's laptop and it worked.

--
(Remove all underscores,if any, from my email address to get the correct
one. Apologies for the inconvenience but this is to reduce spam.)