Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[SOLVED] Windows 8 and XP Dual-Boot Error

Last response: in Windows 8
June 6, 2012 4:52:15 PM

Hello,

I installed the 32-bit release candidate of Windows 8 on my old Toshiba NB205 netbook that had windows XP installed. I created a 20GB partition using Disk Management in Windows XP and then installed Windows 8 RC from my external DVD drive. When I installed Windows 8 I chose Custom Install and selected the 20GB partition. Everything installed fine and Windows 8 is running smoothly. The problem is that when I choose to boot XP under "Older Version of Windows" from the bootloader I get an error stating that Windows XP couldnt load because "load needed DLLs for kernel." In Windows 8 I can see my Windows XP Drive and all of its files except now Windows XP appears to be labeled as Drive D: and Windows 8 is Drive C: Could the problem be that Windows XP is trying to load DLLs that it thinks is in Drive C: but is now in Drive D:? Anyone have a clue?

Thank You.
a b * Windows 8
June 6, 2012 5:12:49 PM

Don't install BETA OS's if you are not prepared to deal with them. Dont install 32 bit OSes. Don't installl new OSes on a netbook. Your boot drive is always drive C in windows.
m
l
June 6, 2012 5:24:22 PM

Thanks for the reply I guess???

Anyone know how to make Windows 8 and XP play nice with each other?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 6, 2012 8:54:57 PM

Every Windows version relies on following boot sequence:
MBR -> PartitionBootRecord of active partition -> OS loader (or OS boot manager) on active partition -> next steps.

For XP three files must be on active:
ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini.
In boot.ini the partition of XP's \Windows directory is specified with ARC path.

For Win 8 entities on active needed are:
bootmgr, \boot directory, BCD (inside \boot)

For a dual-boot all files mentioned (for XP and for Win8) must be on active.

If Windows 8 partition is active then just copy over the 3 files mentioned for XP from XP(D:\) to Windows 8(C:\).

Usually Win 8 installation creates autoamtically a proper dual-boot if XP already present.

See http://www.boyans.net/ArcPaths/ArcPaths.htm for explanation on ARC paths (and dual-booting of XP/NT).
You can also download Visual BCD Editor for viewing/editing BootConfigData from http://boyans.net
June 7, 2012 1:13:07 PM

Thank you boyans. You were very helpful. The solution was indeed to change the path in boot.ini in the drive in which Windows XP was installed. It was pointing to the wrong partition and after changing it to the correct partition, in my case partition 2, XP booted up fine. For some reason Windows 8 refused to show boot.ini in drive D even with show hidden files checked. I instead opened it via command prompt as administrator, though it didn't let me save the file because of ownership issues stating, "Access is denied." I instead, after editing the path, saved boot.ini to the desktop and dragged it into the root of drive D, hit "Allow" at the permission prompt and replaced the existing file. After a reboot everything worked as it should!

Again, thank you!
m
l
June 7, 2012 1:15:22 PM

Best answer selected by samuisamu.
m
l
November 12, 2012 8:45:30 AM

samuisamu said:
Thank you boyans. You were very helpful. The solution was indeed to change the path in boot.ini in the drive in which Windows XP was installed. It was pointing to the wrong partition and after changing it to the correct partition, in my case partition 2, XP booted up fine. For some reason Windows 8 refused to show boot.ini in drive D even with show hidden files checked. I instead opened it via command prompt as administrator, though it didn't let me save the file because of ownership issues stating, "Access is denied." I instead, after editing the path, saved boot.ini to the desktop and dragged it into the root of drive D, hit "Allow" at the permission prompt and replaced the existing file. After a reboot everything worked as it should!

Again, thank you!

Sorry to make this come back alive but i just installed the full win8 from xp on my nb205 and can not get the wifi working. did you get it to work? And did you have to do anything to make it work? if so what?

thank you and sorry again
m
l
!