Need assistance with P4 purchase

mistered

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003
I don't know much about computers but I will give you as much information as I can.

I have a Dell 8100. It currently has a P4 1.5Ghz processor.
I have added memory (it takes Rambus RIMMs), upgraded the hard drives and video card. What I am looking to next is the processor. What is the fastest processor I can buy that will fit on the motherboard.

This is the specs (as picked up from the Dell Site...
---
Microprocessor
Microprocessor type Intel® Pentium® 4 microprocessor that runs at 1.50GHz.
Internal cache 8 KB first-level
L2 cache integrated 256-KB at full microprocessor speed
Math coprocessor internal to Pentium 4 microprocessor
--
System Information
System chip set Intel 850
Data bus width 64 bits
Address bus width 32 bits
DMA channels eight
Interrupt levels 15
System BIOS chip 4 Mb
System clock 100 MHz; 400 MHz data rate
---
I also noticed that it only has a 250 watt power supply. Could this be upgraded with any type power supply? Or does it need a custom Dell one?

If any more info is needed, let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Ed.

SJJM

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2003
What I have found with dell's web site, is that you are only able to upgrade to 2.0ghz. Was unable to find anything about the powersupply, other then what you said. I would believe that you are able to upgrade that powersupply. I just notice that you copied and paste the info right from the dells web site, which makes me wonder why you did not see that you can only upgrade to a 2.0ghz.

<font color=blue>"You know, that my backstab attack does double the damage. I can make an off button for him." </font color=blue> :cool:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It depends on your socket. If it's Socket 423, the fastest CPU that fits is clocked at 2.0GHz. If it's Socket 478, you should have no problem with a 2.4/400 bus P4.

Your Williamett core processor was available in both Socket 478 and Socket 423 versions, so that's no help. You've obviously had it apart before, so why not just open it up and look?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

SJJM

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2003
After a litte searchig, I found that it is a 423 version. Your better off upgrading the board and cpu then getting just a new cpu.

<font color=blue>"You know, that my backstab attack does double the damage. I can make an off button for him." </font color=blue> :cool:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
IMHO you are better off getting a whole new system.
Dell uses propiatary components and your rig isnt very upgradable anyway.

Best to ditch the dell crap ang get nice standardised equipment.

<b>I am not a AMD fanboy.
I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
I AM a performance fanboy.
And a low price fanboy. :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

mistered

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003
OK, I got it sorted with someone that has done it.

Bare processor, 2.0Ghz (as you said... thanks)

With a socket adapter from PowerLeap (around $50) it can go up to 2.6Ghz.
He has done it and it works, but apparantly the only socker adapter that does the job is the PowerLeap.
That is the cheapest way to do it so far.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 2.6A has been hard to find, which is why I mentioned the 2.4A. "A" meaning 400 bus.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mistered

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003
I have already found one.
They are at ZipZoomFly (formerly GoogleGear) for $211.
The 533 is $193, with the 800 at $207. Free 2nd day shipping too.

SJJM

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2003
My question would be, will the bios be able to handle 2.6. I mean does it have the 26X, so that you can get 2.6.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The multiplier is built into the CPU, not the motherboard. Several people have made the swap to a 2.6A on their S478 Dells. I believe the only difference between their S423 and S478 850 boards was the socket.