Help me build the cheapest, fastest PC (Intel)

I want to build a PC for cheap, but would like it fast (2.4 would be cool, but flexible). I know, that AMD is probably cheaper, but I want Intel based.

I already have all the parts (EXCEPT the Motherboard/Intel chip). I have sound card, video, hard drive, case (reg. ATX), and power supply (430w).

Can anyone tell me where I can pick up a decent motherboard/chip for cheap? I will want to use XP or 98SE on this PC, and maybe use it as a game server.

Thank you!
Store recommendations, etc. would be great.
18 answers Last reply
More about help build cheapest fastest intel
  1. The best value I can think of is the Abit IS7. The IS7-E is $7 cheaper, but you loose Firewire and SATA RAID, which you might use in the future.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  2. thanks, i will check that out.

i guess what i am looking for is a good motherboard/cpu combo deal somewhere. i saw on fatwallet.com that fry's was having a deal for 70 bucks. but i dont live by a fry's.
  3. For "cheapest fastest (Intel) PC" the 2.4c is really your only option. Nevertheless, its a really good option for an Intel based. I beleive the newest chipset is i875 for intel, but I'm not sure.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!
  4. 865 is the "light" version (no ECC RAM capability) of the 875 and therefor newer. They both use the same die.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  5. Just idle curiousity... Why insist on Intel?

And if you tell us your max budget, we could suggest specific setups...

---
    <font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:
  6. I guess I have always used Intel and want to stick with Intel.
    Also, I have SDRAM, and want to use that. I have seen some cheaper board/CPU combos, but noticed they take Rambus ram.

I would like to pick up a Motherboard/CPU combo for no more than $150 if possible, $100 would be better.
  7. Pairing a P4 with SDRAM is something like taking a sprinter and cutting his legs off. It's almost cruel to the chip. :wink: it certainly ain't gonna give much performance..

Quote:
    I would like to pick up a Motherboard/CPU combo for no more than $150 if possible, $100 would be better.

considering that even a 2Ghz P4 CPU is ~$150, you stand very little chance... And even 1Ghz PIIIs are still $96.

I would say try to save some more until your budget can stretch to ~$180, and you could probably build a nforce2, XP1800+ rig with 256Mb of PC2700 ram, and overclock it to near 2Ghz, and you'll have a machine that will seriously annihilate anything you could build around that SDRAM, <i>and</i> has excellent Built-in features (USB 2, LAN, Audio)..

---
    <font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:
  8. your best bet is to look at second-hand computer fares and maybe eBay, if you want any hope of getting what you're after with that budget.

---
  9. Man, trash that crap! SDRAM is satan. Send it to the golden gates in the sky. Ram is CHEAP, buy some ddr.

Shadus
  10. The IS7 offers the best value, features, and speed for the price.

Here are soe choices from www.newegg.com just to give you an idea:

Asus P4P800 - $115 (NO FireWire)
    Abit IS7 - $109 (Onboard FireWire, Gigabit LAN, SATA)
    Intel D865PERL - $102 (NO ONBOARD LAN, NO FireWire)
    DFI PS83-BL - $95 (NO SATA, No FireWire)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    P4 2.4C @ 3.0GHz 1.525V Stock HSF
    Abit IS7 BIOS v1.3 GAT Auto
    Corsair XMS 512MB TwinX3200C2 2-3-3-6
    GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP8X 128MB
    Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA
  11. Ok, what do you guys think of this board?
    Soyo SY-P4VDA VIA P4X266A Socket 478 Motherboard w/ Snd, LAN
    $32.50 at computer geeks?
    http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SY-P4VDA

and then I add this:
    PENTIUM® 4 2.0GHz 512K cache 400Mhz FSB Socket 478 - OEM P4 with Heatsink and Fan + 90 Days Warranty
    for $153?

what you think?
    Thanks!!!!!!!!
  12. There's a reason that board is so cheap! It's crap!

If you want a truely cheap board, get a $50 refurb from Newegg. Something with an Intel chipset preferably.

13. Please, DONT hold back!! (ha ha).

Ok, how about this one at Newegg:
    Asus Motherboard for Intel Processors Model P4S800 , $41
    http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4S800&langs=09

Specifications:
    Supported CPU:P478 Pentium 4 / Celeron
    Chipset: SiS 648FX
    FSB:800/533/400 MHz
    RAM:2 Channel DDR400/333/266 Support Max 3GB
    IDE:Dual Ultra DMA ATA133/100/66 up to 4 Devices
    Slots:1x AGP (8X) 5x PCI
    Ports:2xPS2, 1xCOM,1xLPT,1x Audio, 1xLAN, 8xUSB20
    Onboard Audio:AD 1980 6 Channel Codec
    Onboard LAN:Realtek 10/100 Ethernet Model#: P4S800 Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping
  14. I would take the above advice and stick with an Intel Chipset. I think a 865 board gets you the best bang for $$$. That Abit IC7 board for around $100 seems like a dream deal with all the features. The bottom line is you really cant try to go to cheap with Intel, if price really is an issue as stated your best bang for $$$ will be AMD all the way.

Personally I like the Intel 2.4C 800MhzFSB HT based system since the CPU is about $170 now.
  15. 1. Stay away from SOYO
    2. Stay away from VIA chipsets

Get a board with Intel 865PE chipset.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    P4 2.4C @ 3.0GHz 1.525V Stock HSF
    Abit IS7 BIOS v1.3 GAT Auto
    Corsair XMS 512MB TwinX3200C2 2-3-3-6
    GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP8X 128MB
    Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA
  16. Not sure on the P4S800, the P4S533 was good, the P4S8X was junk, I think the P4S800 replaces the defective P4S8X.

They have the Gigabyte GA-8IE for $35...here's a great one, the Gigabyte GA-SINXP1394 (the best SiS chipset board, has EVERYTHING) for $45, the MSI 865G Neo2-LS (you can ignore the onboard video and use an AGP card, and it's a great board) for $49.

17. Okay, so the i875 boards must be primarily for servers, sorta of like opteron because of the more expensive Error Checking ECC RAM?

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!
  18. i875 replaces 7205 workstation chipset. 7505 server chipset hasn't been replaced yet.

As seen with the 7205, workstation chipsets are often found in high end PCs.

Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel Build