I have two copies of XP on my machine in a dual boot scenario. I have
forgotten the password for one of the copies that I was booting to. I can
access the NTFS partition using the copy of XP that I can boot into. Is
there any way with this access to be able to change the password. Please
help.

Windows XP changes the length and encrypts all passwords.
It is not discernable, even if you can find it, by ordinary means.

See the following:

Lost, Forgotten, or Expired Passwords:

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Jupiter Jones]

Windows XP Key is a program to reset Windows XP security
if Administrator password, secure boot password or key disk is lost.
http://www.lostpassword.com/windows-xp-2000-nt.htm

Forgot your admin password?

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP