Wipe it all clean!

August 29, 2005 1:50:22 PM

I'm leaving work this week, so I'm busy archiving and removing all my
personal information from my work PC. Is there a secure method I can make
sure that the data I have archived will no longer be visible after I leave?

WinXPSP1

--

+-- Thief_

More about : wipe clean

August 29, 2005 1:50:23 PM

http://tinyurl.com/8wps5
--

http://www.onahorse.com/
Anonymous

Thief_ wrote:
> I'm leaving work this week, so I'm busy archiving and removing all my
> personal information from my work PC. Is there a secure method I can make
> sure that the data I have archived will no longer be visible after I leave?
>
> WinXPSP1

One way is http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ although there are other
programs that do similar things.

John McGaw
http://johnmcgaw.com
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
August 29, 2005 1:50:23 PM

In article <O$5$CtCrFHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, thief_@hotmail.com
says...
> I'm leaving work this week, so I'm busy archiving and removing all my
> personal information from my work PC. Is there a secure method I can make
> sure that the data I have archived will no longer be visible after I leave?

Anything you have on a PC that belongs to the company is already company
property -so there is no point in removing it.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

If you have indeed removed all of your data files from the hard drive (and of course any
personal settings info, cookies, and cleared Auto Complete in Internet Explorer (Tool
menu/Internet Options/Content tab/Auto Complete Button) to get rid of any saved passwords
or web site form info), and used Start menu/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk
Cleanup/More Options tab/System Restore Cleanup button to remove all but the last Restore
Point (presumably the one that you create after wiping out of your personal info): Then,
defragment the drive, so that no one can retrieve your removed files with a file recovery
utility, because the disk space where they were stored will have been overwritten during
the defrag process (Start button/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Defragmenter).
With the exception of very expensive expert data retriever being hired, your data should
be gone, unless YOU forget any file or files.

OR, you could go to Control Panel/User Accounts, create a new account of the Computer
Administrator type, and name it. Then reboot your system, select the new account that you
created on the Welcome screen, and when booted to that new account's desktop go to Control
Panel/User Accounts opt to Change an Account, select your old account, and opt to remove
it. Then opt for having all of the files and settings for the old account deleted. After
that is done, defragment the drive...
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

"Thief_" <thief_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o $5$CtCrFHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I'm leaving work this week, so I'm busy archiving and removing all my
> personal information from my work PC. Is there a secure method I can make
> sure that the data I have archived will no longer be visible after I leave?
>
> WinXPSP1
>
> --
> |
> +-- Thief_

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 1:50:23 PM

Thief_ wrote:
> I'm leaving work this week, so I'm busy archiving and removing all my
> personal information from my work PC. Is there a secure method I can make
> sure that the data I have archived will no longer be visible after I leave?
>
> WinXPSP1

Well, since the computer belongs to your employer, there is, by
definition, no "personal" data on the computer; the entire contents of
the hard drive are the sole and exclusive property of your employer. Or
are you admitting to have been misusing your employer's property? Your
chosen posting alias certainly indicates that such would be your
inclination.

To protect any data from any future users of average skills, you
should, at the very least, format the hard drive and reinstall only the
OS and those applications. If you wish to do a more thorough job of
protecting your personal data, WipeDrive 2.2.1
(http://www.accessdata.com/Product07_Overview.htm?Produc...) meets
U.S. DoD standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard
drives, and could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and
applications.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 1:50:23 PM

Question being. Leaving on good or bad terms. If as you state that you are archiving and you do not want the company that you worked for to see it or find it then I am presuming from past experience from working on computer system for mid size to larger companies that you are being vindictive. It is one thing to remove personal data and another to Archive Data so as the company cannot see it or find it. All work that you performed for said company is the property of such. Doing what you would like to do exactly matches the name that you are posting under. You can be charged criminally or as a misdenemour depending on what you are trying to hide by Archiving. If the company is aware and they are most certainly are since the computer is probably a workstation on a network and connected to a server or a main computer that kept track of all work given and commissioned to any and all employees then the company can take action against you if they so desire.

To remove your personal data is no problem and follow the advice that was given to you by others here in this thread.

To Archive as so to give the company a hard time in finding their property you could also be in trouble if the company decides to charge you .

--
Peter

"Thief_" <thief_@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:o $5$CtCrFHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I'm leaving work this week, so I'm busy archiving and removing all my
> personal information from my work PC. Is there a secure method I can make
> sure that the data I have archived will no longer be visible after I leave?
>
> WinXPSP1
>
> --
> |
> +-- Thief_

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 1:50:24 PM

From: "John McGaw" <nowhere@at.all>

| Thief_ wrote:
>> I'm leaving work this week, so I'm busy archiving and removing all my
>> personal information from my work PC. Is there a secure method I can make
>> sure that the data I have archived will no longer be visible after I leave?
>>
>> WinXPSP1
>>
| One way is http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ although there are other
| programs that do similar things.
|
| John McGaw
| http://johnmcgaw.com
| [Knoxville, TN, USA]

If he wipes the computer of all data (not just personal data) he leaves him self open to
prosecution for destroying company property and/or company software.

Never store personal data on a work computer.
But, if you must, keep it in just one foldera and delete that data only !

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Thanks John,

But that looks like something which is going to wipe the WHOLE drive, whoha!
I just need to make sure none of my personal files can be restored and
viewed, that's all.

--

+-- Thief_

"John McGaw" <nowhere@at.all> wrote in message
> Thief_ wrote:
> > I'm leaving work this week, so I'm busy archiving and removing all my
> > personal information from my work PC. Is there a secure method I can
make
> > sure that the data I have archived will no longer be visible after I
leave?

> > WinXPSP1
> >

> One way is http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ although there are other
> programs that do similar things.
>
> John McGaw
> http://johnmcgaw.com
> [Knoxville, TN, USA]
August 29, 2005 2:12:57 PM

"Thief_" <thief_@hotmail.com> wrote:

|>Thanks John,
|>
|>But that looks like something which is going to wipe the WHOLE drive, whoha!
|>I just need to make sure none of my personal files can be restored and
|>viewed, that's all.

Just defrag the drive after you've removed your stuff.
--

http://www.onahorse.com/
Anonymous

There are file erasers that will overwrite directories or files. Here is one
that should work well enough for you http://www.acesoft.net/index.html . Use
the Security Tab setting to do the overwrite. 3 passes will do it nicely.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Thief_" <thief_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o Qzzp5CrFHA.528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Thanks John,
>
> But that looks like something which is going to wipe the WHOLE drive,
> whoha!
> I just need to make sure none of my personal files can be restored and
> viewed, that's all.
>
> --
> |
> +-- Thief_
> |

> "John McGaw" <nowhere@at.all> wrote in message
>> Thief_ wrote:
>> > I'm leaving work this week, so I'm busy archiving and removing all my
>> > personal information from my work PC. Is there a secure method I can
> make
>> > sure that the data I have archived will no longer be visible after I
> leave?
>> >
>> > WinXPSP1
>> >

>> One way is http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ although there are other
>> programs that do similar things.
>>
>> John McGaw
>> http://johnmcgaw.com
>> [Knoxville, TN, USA]

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 2:12:57 PM

Thief_ wrote:
> Thanks John,
>
> But that looks like something which is going to wipe the WHOLE drive, whoha!
> I just need to make sure none of my personal files can be restored and
> viewed, that's all.

Eraser will do anything from securely wiping out a file, a directory, a
disk, to a system. You have to make up your mind what you want to erase.
it doesn't do it for you. There is one option in the program which
allows the creation of a "boot and nuke" diskette which will totally
wipe a system but you certainly don't have to use that option.

John McGaw
http://johnmcgaw.com
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 2:47:27 PM

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "John McGaw" <nowhere@at.all>
>
> | Thief_ wrote:
>
>>>I'm leaving work this week, so I'm busy archiving and removing all my
>>>personal information from my work PC. Is there a secure method I can make
>>>sure that the data I have archived will no longer be visible after I leave?
>>>
>>>WinXPSP1
>>>

> | One way is http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ although there are other
> | programs that do similar things.
> |
> | John McGaw
> | http://johnmcgaw.com
> | [Knoxville, TN, USA]
>
> If he wipes the computer of all data (not just personal data) he leaves him self open to
> prosecution for destroying company property and/or company software.
>
> Never store personal data on a work computer.
> But, if you must, keep it in just one foldera and delete that data only !

I never suggested that he wipe the computer of all data despite his
subject of "Wipe it all clean!". I simply gave him a source for a free
program which can erase data in a variety of different ways up to and
beyond current government standards. If he wants to erase one file the
program will do that. If he wants to erase a directory it will do that.
If he wants to wipe unused space it will do that. The program will
certainly allow the cration of a "boot and nuke" floppy but nobody is
forced to use that option.

John McGaw
http://johnmcgaw.com
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 3:47:54 PM

WOW! Cool- thanks for that TC. I wasn't sure about defragging but now I am.

--

+-- Thief_

"t.cruise" <t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you have indeed removed all of your data files from the hard drive (and
of course any
> personal settings info, cookies, and cleared Auto Complete in Internet
Explorer (Tool
> menu/Internet Options/Content tab/Auto Complete Button) to get rid of any
saved passwords
> or web site form info), and used Start menu/All
Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk
> Cleanup/More Options tab/System Restore Cleanup button to remove all but
the last Restore
> Point (presumably the one that you create after wiping out of your
personal info): Then,
> defragment the drive, so that no one can retrieve your removed files with
a file recovery
> utility, because the disk space where they were stored will have been
overwritten during
> the defrag process (Start button/All Programs/Accessories/System
Tools/Disk Defragmenter).
> With the exception of very expensive expert data retriever being hired,
your data should
> be gone, unless YOU forget any file or files.
>
> OR, you could go to Control Panel/User Accounts, create a new account of
the Computer
> Administrator type, and name it. Then reboot your system, select the new
account that you
> created on the Welcome screen, and when booted to that new account's
desktop go to Control
> Panel/User Accounts opt to Change an Account, select your old account, and
opt to remove
> it. Then opt for having all of the files and settings for the old account
deleted. After
> that is done, defragment the drive...
> --
>
> T.C.
> t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
> Remove [NoSpam] to reply
>

> "Thief_" <thief_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o $5$CtCrFHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > I'm leaving work this week, so I'm busy archiving and removing all my
> > personal information from my work PC. Is there a secure method I can
make
> > sure that the data I have archived will no longer be visible after I
leave?

> > WinXPSP1
> >
> > --
> > |
> > +-- Thief_

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 5:20:37 PM

Bruce,

Personal data is defined as:
* My resume
* My letter of applications to other positions (I'm a contractor and looking
for work as my current contract is nearing its end)
* etc

>> Your
> chosen posting alias certainly indicates that such would be your
> inclination.

I take great offence to that comment. Such remarks are un-founded and not
necessary.

--

+-- Thief_

news:o EQ1C2DrFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Thief_ wrote:
> > I'm leaving work this week, so I'm busy archiving and removing all my
> > personal information from my work PC. Is there a secure method I can
make
> > sure that the data I have archived will no longer be visible after I
leave?

> > WinXPSP1
> >

> Well, since the computer belongs to your employer, there is, by
> definition, no "personal" data on the computer; the entire contents of
> the hard drive are the sole and exclusive property of your employer. Or
> are you admitting to have been misusing your employer's property? Your
> chosen posting alias certainly indicates that such would be your
> inclination.
>
> To protect any data from any future users of average skills, you
> should, at the very least, format the hard drive and reinstall only the
> OS and those applications. If you wish to do a more thorough job of
> protecting your personal data, WipeDrive 2.2.1
> (http://www.accessdata.com/Product07_Overview.htm?Produc...) meets
> U.S. DoD standards for securely cleaning surplus unclassified hard
> drives, and could be used before formatting and reinstalling the OS and
> applications.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 5:20:38 PM

From: "Thief_" <thief_@hotmail.com>

| Bruce,
|
| Personal data is defined as:
| * My resume
| * My letter of applications to other positions (I'm a contractor and looking
| for work as my current contract is nearing its end)
| * etc

There is nothing worse than working as a Contracted employee and facing the dread of
contract renewal and then the eventual award of that contract to another company !

I know I have been there. It is so agrevating whn the contract is about to be renewed.
Then when it is renewed you breath a sigh of reflief. If it sin't renewed and the contract
is awarded to another company, if that othwer company doesn't carry you, you are up sh!ts
creek !]

I take it that was an Australian Gov't. contract with the "Directorate of School Education".

Good luck to 'ya !

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 6:19:09 PM

David,

Yeah, it started as a 3-month contract and now 7 months later I still have
no future! Each 3 months, they tell me they are going to keep me on for
another term, but they do it in the last week of the contract. I can't live
like that. Finding a job takes 1 month at least coz most company's don't
really know if they are really wanting to employ someone new. Do you know
how many companies have pulled their job ads even after a first round
interview with prospective employees!? <G>

I'm now future-employed as a full-timer. If I was young with no family and
mortgage, hey, I would be quite comfortable now after contracting for so
long, but alas I have a responsibility to my family.....

> I take it that was an Australian Gov't. contract with the "Directorate of
School Education".

HAHAHAHA. Close- how'd you guess anyway? Reverse DNS lookup? Pls tell me and
I'll tell you who I actually work for....

--

+-- Thief_

> From: "Thief_" <thief_@hotmail.com>
>
> | Bruce,
> |
> | Personal data is defined as:
> | * My resume
> | * My letter of applications to other positions (I'm a contractor and
looking
> | for work as my current contract is nearing its end)
> | * etc
> |

> There is nothing worse than working as a Contracted employee and facing
the dread of
> contract renewal and then the eventual award of that contract to another
company !

> I know I have been there. It is so agrevating whn the contract is about
to be renewed.
> Then when it is renewed you breath a sigh of reflief. If it sin't renewed
and the contract
> is awarded to another company, if that othwer company doesn't carry you,
you are up sh!ts
> creek !]
>
> I take it that was an Australian Gov't. contract with the "Directorate of
School Education".

> Good luck to 'ya !
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 6:19:10 PM

From: "Thief_" <thief_@hotmail.com>

| David,
|
| Yeah, it started as a 3-month contract and now 7 months later I still have
| no future! Each 3 months, they tell me they are going to keep me on for
| another term, but they do it in the last week of the contract. I can't live
| like that. Finding a job takes 1 month at least coz most company's don't
| really know if they are really wanting to employ someone new. Do you know
| how many companies have pulled their job ads even after a first round
| interview with prospective employees!? <G>
|
| I'm now future-employed as a full-timer. If I was young with no family and
| mortgage, hey, I would be quite comfortable now after contracting for so
| long, but alas I have a responsibility to my family.....
|
>> I take it that was an Australian Gov't. contract with the "Directorate of
| School Education".
|
| HAHAHAHA. Close- how'd you guess anyway? Reverse DNS lookup? Pls tell me and
| I'll tell you who I actually work for....
|
| --

I worked on a contract that was a 5 yr. contract that was renewed yearly after that. That
lasted 12+ years.
During the last hours, of the last business day of last year that contract was awarded to
another company. My company offered me another position but it was in another state. I
didn't want to move so I was laid off 3 buiness days later. I am still looking to replace
that job !

I got the Australian "Directorate of School Education" from looking at your header...

http://www.dnsstuff.com/

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 6:33:40 PM

Peter,

You have taken the situation out of context. I'm only removing my personal
data, as I specified in my last post. I am not removing work-related data.
The information belongs to me and it is of a personal nature, but was used
on my work PC to get me where I am at now.

--

+-- Thief_

Question being. Leaving on good or bad terms. If as you state that you are
archiving and you do not want the company that you worked for to see it or
find it then I am presuming from past experience from working on computer
system for mid size to larger companies that you are being vindictive. It is
one thing to remove personal data and another to Archive Data so as the
company cannot see it or find it. All work that you performed for said
company is the property of such. Doing what you would like to do exactly
matches the name that you are posting under. You can be charged criminally
or as a misdenemour depending on what you are trying to hide by Archiving.
If the company is aware and they are most certainly are since the computer
is probably a workstation on a network and connected to a server or a main
computer that kept track of all work given and commissioned to any and all
employees then the company can take action against you if they so desire.

To remove your personal data is no problem and follow the advice that was
given to you by others here in this thread.

To Archive as so to give the company a hard time in finding their property
you could also be in trouble if the company decides to charge you .

--
Peter

"Thief_" <thief_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o $5$CtCrFHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I'm leaving work this week, so I'm busy archiving and removing all my
> personal information from my work PC. Is there a secure method I can make
> sure that the data I have archived will no longer be visible after I
leave?

> WinXPSP1
>
> --
> |
> +-- Thief_

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 11:07:15 PM

Thief_ wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> Personal data is defined as:
> * My resume
> * My letter of applications to other positions (I'm a contractor and looking
> for work as my current contract is nearing its end)
> * etc

The nature of the data is immaterial. The computer belongs to your
employer, therefore all of it's contents belong to said employer.

> I take great offence to that comment. Such remarks are un-founded and not
> necessary.

Might I point out that you named yourself?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 12:33:07 AM

In message <uloyo8PrFHA.2804@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl> Bruce Chambers
<bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

>Thief_ wrote:
>> Bruce,
>>
>> Personal data is defined as:
>> * My resume
>> * My letter of applications to other positions (I'm a contractor and looking
>> for work as my current contract is nearing its end)
>> * etc
>

> The nature of the data is immaterial. The computer belongs to your
>employer, therefore all of it's contents belong to said employer.

Actually, even under US copyright law, only the material which was
created using company time would be owned by the company, and even then,
only if the company has a contract which transfers ownership of material
to the employer.

Employees not in a creative/development/etc field may not have such a
contract, and even if they do, it doesn't transfer copyrighted content
which was not created on company time.

--
Death is life's way of telling you you're fired.
!