Heat Dissipation Specs - Dimension 8400 vs 4700; Also: Whi..

The specs for the Dimension 8400 say it has heat dissipation (fully loaded,
without monitor) of 460.7 BTU/hour.

The specs for the Dimension 4700 say it has heat dissipation (fully loaded,
without monitor) of 853 BTU/hour.

What does this mean?

Does it mean the 8400 produces less heat, when in use, than the 4700?

Or does it mean the 4700 has more cooling capacity (a case design, fan, etc.
than can remove heat, if necessary, faster than the 8400)?

If there is a glossary somewhere on the Dell site that explains the use of
this term in these specs, please point me to it.

Or if you really know the answer, please tell me.

I also am interested in knowing which machine is QUIETER! To its discredit,
Dell does its best to conceal from me how noisy are its machines. One reason
I purchased my (now old) 4500 is that Dell described it as quiet. It is the
loudest computer I ever have owned, and multiple replacements of the fan and
shroud (including a redesigned fan and shroud assembly) didn't help.

- Don

The spec I quoted for the Dimension 4700 power supply heat dissipation was
from the technical information on Dell's internet sales site.

Another spec for the same power supply says the heat dissipation for the
4700 is only 434.6 BTU/hour:

http://premiersupport.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/en/om/P3977A00.pdf

Anyone have any idea which spec is correct? There's a rather large
difference between 434.6 and 853, for sure.

- Don

"Don Enderton" <Enderton@nosuchaddress.duh> wrote in message
> The specs for the Dimension 8400 say it has heat dissipation (fully
loaded,
> without monitor) of 460.7 BTU/hour.
>
> The specs for the Dimension 4700 say it has heat dissipation (fully
loaded,
> without monitor) of 853 BTU/hour.
>
> What does this mean?
>
> Does it mean the 8400 produces less heat, when in use, than the 4700?
>
> Or does it mean the 4700 has more cooling capacity (a case design, fan,
etc.
> than can remove heat, if necessary, faster than the 8400)?
>
> If there is a glossary somewhere on the Dell site that explains the use of
> this term in these specs, please point me to it.
>
> Or if you really know the answer, please tell me.
>
> I also am interested in knowing which machine is QUIETER! To its
discredit,
> Dell does its best to conceal from me how noisy are its machines. One
reason
> I purchased my (now old) 4500 is that Dell described it as quiet. It is
the
> loudest computer I ever have owned, and multiple replacements of the fan
and
> shroud (including a redesigned fan and shroud assembly) didn't help.
>
> - Don

The 8400 I have is very quiet compared to my other PC's, quietest PC in
my house. The temperature dependent fan speed and cooling pipes on the
CPU really make a difference.

--
dhsa