Bob Roberts Williams Lithium Battery Replacment.

geez...stuff like this makes you think you're not cut out for working
on pins. :(

I just installed 2 of the "hacks" on a TM BOP and a BK2K. Neither
Work.

My batteries died recently and I had seen the replacment fix on
therealbobroberts.com and figured..well every 5+ years is better than
every year, so..I tried it. twice.

Neither works. both games power up and still work fine. Nothing has
exploded. but neither saves settings after being powered off and
coming back up. I followed the directions very closely both times.

I have a couple questions I guess. Did I do something wrong that I
pull 3.3ish volts when replacing 4.5 in AA batteries? Is there
anything I can test to verify that this is at least TRYING to work the
way it should?

Thanks in advance.

Allroy (the dumb)
10 answers Last reply
More about roberts williams lithium battery replacment

    See www.therealbobroberts.com Williams Battery Conversion:
    http://www.homearcade.org/BBBB/wmsbatt.html

    That's what I've done. I've looked around on the group and people kept
    suggesting it. It can't be too dangerous.

    Allroy

    In the last 10 years or so I have had several boards come into the shop
    with lithium batteries attached. Not the button type, but the
    cylindrical type that is very similar to the white Ni-cad. A few had
    the blocking diode reversed, which is bad.

    Double check your work as this proceedure should function.

    Mario
    Pinthetic

    What is shown in the pictures looks like
    a video game board. WPC games have a much
    different design, and uses the battery for
    more than memory retention. I'd suggest you
    contact the person that engineered this conversion
    to see how it suits your application(s).

    Lithium batteries are dangerous when installed
    improperly. If the installation tries to "charge"
    them, and especially when a large one is installed,
    there is a greater risk of fire. (They can explode.)

    Just because someone else has done something doesn't
    always mean it is safe to do so, either....!

    Fred
    TX
    CARGPB#8
    =========

    Allroy1975_@_yahoo.com wrote:
    > See www.therealbobroberts.com Williams Battery Conversion:
    > http://www.homearcade.org/BBBB/wmsbatt.html
    >
    > That's what I've done. I've looked around on the group and people kept
    > suggesting it. It can't be too dangerous.

    I have no idea what you have done, but the only
    games I know of with lithium batteries are GTB
    system 3 games and Pinball 2000 games.

    Dangerous to use in anything else.

    --
    Fred
    TX

    "Allroy1975_@_yahoo.com" <mathewtdavis@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1121921078.071522.69870@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > geez...stuff like this makes you think you're not cut out for working
    > on pins. :(
    >
    > I just installed 2 of the "hacks" on a TM BOP and a BK2K. Neither
    > Work.
    >
    > My batteries died recently and I had seen the replacment fix on
    > therealbobroberts.com and figured..well every 5+ years is better than
    > every year, so..I tried it. twice.

    It's not like some bonehead did it. It's freakin Bob Roberts! He
    states all these things, how cautious he was when first installing it.
    how if done wrong it can explode.

    Mario, I'll double check my work (again ;)

    where is the power supposed to go? like is there a chip I can check to
    see if it's getting the power? I guess it'd be different on each
    board. I have schematics for the BOP but not the BK2K. Guess I should
    buy a manual for that one too.

    Thanks
    Allroy

    Makes no difference. I have no idea who Bob Roberts
    is, nor am I trying to discredit him in any way. If
    it works for him, again, maybe you should contact him.

    It can explode or catch fire if the blocking diode has
    a problem, still...

    Fred
    TX
    CARGPB#8
    ==============================

    Fred Kemper wrote:
    > Makes no difference. I have no idea who Bob Roberts
    > is, nor am I trying to discredit him in any way. If
    > it works for him, again, maybe you should contact him.

    Glad I'm not the only one who has absolutely no idea who he is!

    Looks like that would be OK for a sys-7 or earlier type board. sys9
    and 11 would be debateable in my mind (less in common with the vid
    boards), while WPC would definitely be out as they have a much higher
    draw when off.

    Allroy1975_@_yahoo.com wrote:
    > geez...stuff like this makes you think you're not cut out for working
    > on pins. :(
    >
    > I just installed 2 of the "hacks" on a TM BOP and a BK2K. Neither
    > Work.
    >
    > My batteries died recently and I had seen the replacment fix on
    > therealbobroberts.com and figured..well every 5+ years is better than
    > every year, so..I tried it. twice.
    >
    > Neither works. both games power up and still work fine. Nothing has
    > exploded. but neither saves settings after being powered off and
    > coming back up. I followed the directions very closely both times.
    >
    > I have a couple questions I guess. Did I do something wrong that I
    > pull 3.3ish volts when replacing 4.5 in AA batteries? Is there
    > anything I can test to verify that this is at least TRYING to work the
    > way it should?

    Well, no... You're typically going to have about a .6V voltage drop
    across a common 1N4xxx diode.

    So if you start with a 3.3V lithium battery, and chop .6V off of it,
    then you're only feeding in 2.7V. That's a far cry from the +5V that
    most logic chips want for +Vcc, which would explain why they're not
    holding settings.

    TheKorn@TheKorn.net wrote:
    > Allroy1975_@_yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >>geez...stuff like this makes you think you're not cut out for working
    >>on pins. :(
    >>
    >>I just installed 2 of the "hacks" on a TM BOP and a BK2K. Neither
    >>Work.
    >>
    >>My batteries died recently and I had seen the replacment fix on
    >>therealbobroberts.com and figured..well every 5+ years is better than
    >>every year, so..I tried it. twice.
    >>
    >>Neither works. both games power up and still work fine. Nothing has
    >>exploded. but neither saves settings after being powered off and
    >>coming back up. I followed the directions very closely both times.
    >>
    >>I have a couple questions I guess. Did I do something wrong that I
    >>pull 3.3ish volts when replacing 4.5 in AA batteries? Is there
    >>anything I can test to verify that this is at least TRYING to work the
    >>way it should?
    >

    > Well, no... You're typically going to have about a .6V voltage drop
    > across a common 1N4xxx diode.
    >
    > So if you start with a 3.3V lithium battery, and chop .6V off of it,
    > then you're only feeding in 2.7V. That's a far cry from the +5V that
    > most logic chips want for +Vcc, which would explain why they're not
    > holding settings.

    Actually, Static RAM doesn't require Vcc levels when in standby (under
    battery back-up). Typically, a 6264 SRAM will retain memory down to +2v
    with the current draw running in microamps from the battery. A 3.3v
    lithium will have no problem retaining memory for any Williams system up
    until WPC. WPC CPU boards draw more current because the ASIC is CMOS
    (along with the SRAM) and the real time clock and clock timing logic
    needs to run off the battery.

    Typically, I would use a 3.6v lithium and low power schottky diode which
    has a forward voltage drop of 0.2-0.3v to deliver to the standby voltage.

    I haven't been following this thread but if the memory is not being
    retained with 2.7v at the SRAM, then the memory is likely faulty.

    Clive
    ---
    Board repairs, EPROMs, servicing...

    The Coin-Op Cauldron
    405 Wild Wing Way
    Easley, SC 29642
    (864)238-1707
    http://www.coinopcauldron.com

    :
    : I just installed 2 of the "hacks" on a TM BOP and a BK2K. Neither
    : Work.

    That battery replacement is for williams video games, not pinball machines.

    --
    Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Roberts Battery Games Video Games