Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

xcopy between networked computers?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 29, 2005 5:42:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello:
I have my laptop connected to my desktop through a router with certain
folders shared. No problem copying some files and folders from the
desktop to the laptop. But it's taking a long time to copy multiple
folders one at a time.
If this were being done on the same computer, I'd just go to a command
prompt and use xcopy with the appropriate switches and then walk away
and let it do its thing.
But I don't know how to specify the location of the source folders for
my command if it's between networked computers.
Is this even possible? How do I set up the command? I want to copy a
folder with lots of subfolders from the desktop to the laptop, and I'm
working from the laptop

xcopy "desktop my network places\source folder\*.*" "c:\destination
folder" /e /d /r /h /k /r /y

Many thanks for any advice.

Jack
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 29, 2005 5:42:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

> But I don't know how to specify the location of the source folders for
> my command if it's between networked computers.
> Is this even possible? How do I set up the command? I want to copy a
> folder with lots of subfolders from the desktop to the laptop, and I'm
> working from the laptop
>
> xcopy "desktop my network places\source folder\*.*" "c:\destination
folder" /e /d /r /h /k /r /y


I do this:

xcopy \\z\c$ \z /c/h/k/e

which copies c drive from remote computer \\z to a directory
\z on current machine continuing after errors (/c), copying
hidden and system files as well (/h), preserving attributes
(/k) and including the entire subtree including empty
directories (/e).

The switches are quite bewildering and I don't claim its the
best combination but it has worked for me. Your computer
name (the first z in the above example but most likely it
will be more than just a single letter) can be found by
right clicking My Computer on your desktop, choosing
Properties and then the Computer Name tab. Paths of the
form shown above with leading \\ are called UNC path names.

By the way, I have a question for you. Viewing your post
through google mail it says the author has requested that
the mail not be archived. How do you request that?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 29, 2005 5:42:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 01:42:26 GMT, JClark
<johnmc1937{cut-this}@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello:
>I have my laptop connected to my desktop through a router with certain
>folders shared. No problem copying some files and folders from the
>desktop to the laptop. But it's taking a long time to copy multiple
>folders one at a time.
>If this were being done on the same computer, I'd just go to a command
>prompt and use xcopy with the appropriate switches and then walk away
>and let it do its thing.
>But I don't know how to specify the location of the source folders for
>my command if it's between networked computers.
>Is this even possible? How do I set up the command? I want to copy a
>folder with lots of subfolders from the desktop to the laptop, and I'm
>working from the laptop
>
>xcopy "desktop my network places\source folder\*.*" "c:\destination
>folder" /e /d /r /h /k /r /y
>
>Many thanks for any advice.
>
>Jack
Unless you're copying the entire drive, I don't see how xcopy helps
you.

Here's what I'd do:

1. Make a new folder on your laptop.
2. Go to your desktop's Network Places and map the laptop drive's
folder or even the entire drive to a drive letter.
3. Set that up in "Send To". I forget how it's done exactly--it's a
special folder; do a Google or Help.
4. Select all the folders you want to copy.
5. Right click and "send to" your laptop folder or drive.
6. Go have a coffee!
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 29, 2005 2:28:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On 28 Aug 2005 19:31:54 -0700, ggrothendieck@gmail.com wrote:

>> But I don't know how to specify the location of the source folders for
>> my command if it's between networked computers.
>> Is this even possible? How do I set up the command? I want to copy a
>> folder with lots of subfolders from the desktop to the laptop, and I'm
>> working from the laptop
>>
>> xcopy "desktop my network places\source folder\*.*" "c:\destination
>folder" /e /d /r /h /k /r /y
>
>
>I do this:
>
> xcopy \\z\c$ \z /c/h/k/e
>
>which copies c drive from remote computer \\z to a directory
>\z on current machine continuing after errors (/c), copying
>hidden and system files as well (/h), preserving attributes
>(/k) and including the entire subtree including empty
>directories (/e).
>
>The switches are quite bewildering and I don't claim its the
>best combination but it has worked for me. Your computer
>name (the first z in the above example but most likely it
>will be more than just a single letter) can be found by
>right clicking My Computer on your desktop, choosing
>Properties and then the Computer Name tab. Paths of the
>form shown above with leading \\ are called UNC path names.
>
>By the way, I have a question for you. Viewing your post
>through google mail it says the author has requested that
>the mail not be archived. How do you request that?
Hello Ggrothendieck:

> Viewing your post
>through google mail it says the author has requested that
>the mail not be archived. How do you request that?
I wasn't aware my posts were not being archived. I investigated and
found that my newsreader (Forté Agent) has apparently a default
setting which is checked "prevent usenet articles from being archived
X-no-archive". This option is under menu item "Group|Default
Properties"
Should my posts be archived? I can't see any downside to archiving
them so others may look them up. I may change it to archive them
unless there are reasons why I should not. Thanks for noticing.

RE: the solution to my network copying problems, I appreciate the
advice and will try this one as well as the others suggested.
Jack
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 29, 2005 2:32:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:37:03 -0700, Paul Knudsen
<bigkahuna@jupada.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 01:42:26 GMT, JClark
><johnmc1937{cut-this}@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello:
>>I have my laptop connected to my desktop through a router with certain
>>folders shared. No problem copying some files and folders from the
>>desktop to the laptop. But it's taking a long time to copy multiple
>>folders one at a time.
>>If this were being done on the same computer, I'd just go to a command
>>prompt and use xcopy with the appropriate switches and then walk away
>>and let it do its thing.
>>But I don't know how to specify the location of the source folders for
>>my command if it's between networked computers.
>>Is this even possible? How do I set up the command? I want to copy a
>>folder with lots of subfolders from the desktop to the laptop, and I'm
>>working from the laptop
>>
>>xcopy "desktop my network places\source folder\*.*" "c:\destination
>>folder" /e /d /r /h /k /r /y
>>
>>Many thanks for any advice.
>>
>>Jack
>Unless you're copying the entire drive, I don't see how xcopy helps
>you.
>
>Here's what I'd do:
>
>1. Make a new folder on your laptop.
>2. Go to your desktop's Network Places and map the laptop drive's
>folder or even the entire drive to a drive letter.
>3. Set that up in "Send To". I forget how it's done exactly--it's a
>special folder; do a Google or Help.
>4. Select all the folders you want to copy.
>5. Right click and "send to" your laptop folder or drive.
>6. Go have a coffee!
Paul: Thanks for the reply. I definitely need to investigate drive
mapping, which is a mystery to me at the moment. I do appreciate your
advice and will copy out the details and experiment. The coffee part
sounds good about now as well.
Nice link ...who can disagree? But there are a lot of "liberal idiots"
too. Maybe we need a link to "idiot politicians".

Best.

Jack
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 29, 2005 4:29:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"JClark" <johnmc1937{cut-this}@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:bjp4h11o9971q8q505f6lco3pghomurji7@4ax.com...
> Hello:
> I have my laptop connected to my desktop through a router with certain
> folders shared. No problem copying some files and folders from the
> desktop to the laptop. But it's taking a long time to copy multiple
> folders one at a time.
> If this were being done on the same computer, I'd just go to a command
> prompt and use xcopy with the appropriate switches and then walk away
> and let it do its thing.
> But I don't know how to specify the location of the source folders for
> my command if it's between networked computers.
> Is this even possible? How do I set up the command? I want to copy a
> folder with lots of subfolders from the desktop to the laptop, and I'm
> working from the laptop
>
> xcopy "desktop my network places\source folder\*.*" "c:\destination
> folder" /e /d /r /h /k /r /y
>
> Many thanks for any advice.
>
> Jack

You have two methods:

a) Mapping a network drive:
net use x: \\TargetComputer\C$
xcopy /switches "source" "destination"

b) UNC coding:
xcopy /switches "source" "\\TargetComputer\C$\destination folder"
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 29, 2005 4:29:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:29:03 +1000, "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <I.can@fly.com>
wrote:

>
>"JClark" <johnmc1937{cut-this}@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:bjp4h11o9971q8q505f6lco3pghomurji7@4ax.com...
>> Hello:
>> I have my laptop connected to my desktop through a router with certain
>> folders shared. No problem copying some files and folders from the
>> desktop to the laptop. But it's taking a long time to copy multiple
>> folders one at a time.
>> If this were being done on the same computer, I'd just go to a command
>> prompt and use xcopy with the appropriate switches and then walk away
>> and let it do its thing.
>> But I don't know how to specify the location of the source folders for
>> my command if it's between networked computers.
>> Is this even possible? How do I set up the command? I want to copy a
>> folder with lots of subfolders from the desktop to the laptop, and I'm
>> working from the laptop
>>
>> xcopy "desktop my network places\source folder\*.*" "c:\destination
>> folder" /e /d /r /h /k /r /y
>>
>> Many thanks for any advice.
>>
>> Jack
>
>You have two methods:
>
>a) Mapping a network drive:
>net use x: \\TargetComputer\C$
>xcopy /switches "source" "destination"
>
>b) UNC coding:
>xcopy /switches "source" "\\TargetComputer\C$\destination folder"
>
Pegasus: Thank you. I'm not familiar with UNC, so I'll concentrate on
learning about drive mapping.

Jack
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 29, 2005 6:22:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

JClark <johnmc1937{cut-this}@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello:
>I have my laptop connected to my desktop through a router with certain
>folders shared. No problem copying some files and folders from the
>desktop to the laptop. But it's taking a long time to copy multiple
>folders one at a time.
>If this were being done on the same computer, I'd just go to a command
>prompt and use xcopy with the appropriate switches and then walk away
>and let it do its thing.
>But I don't know how to specify the location of the source folders for
>my command if it's between networked computers.
>Is this even possible? How do I set up the command? I want to copy a
>folder with lots of subfolders from the desktop to the laptop, and I'm
>working from the laptop
>
>xcopy "desktop my network places\source folder\*.*" "c:\destination
>folder" /e /d /r /h /k /r /y
>
>Many thanks for any advice.
>
>Jack

From the Laptop open My Network Places and click on the "View Network
Computers" link in the left side column.

Double-click on the icon for the Desktop computer to see the available
shared resources on it.

Right-click on the icon for the shared hard drive and select "map
network drive".

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 30, 2005 2:26:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:22:17 -0700, Ron Martell
<ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote:

>JClark <johnmc1937{cut-this}@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello:
>>I have my laptop connected to my desktop through a router with certain
>>folders shared. No problem copying some files and folders from the
>>desktop to the laptop. But it's taking a long time to copy multiple
>>folders one at a time.
>>If this were being done on the same computer, I'd just go to a command
>>prompt and use xcopy with the appropriate switches and then walk away
>>and let it do its thing.
>>But I don't know how to specify the location of the source folders for
>>my command if it's between networked computers.
>>Is this even possible? How do I set up the command? I want to copy a
>>folder with lots of subfolders from the desktop to the laptop, and I'm
>>working from the laptop
>>
>>xcopy "desktop my network places\source folder\*.*" "c:\destination
>>folder" /e /d /r /h /k /r /y
>>
>>Many thanks for any advice.
>>
>>Jack
>
>From the Laptop open My Network Places and click on the "View Network
>Computers" link in the left side column.
>
>Double-click on the icon for the Desktop computer to see the available
>shared resources on it.
>
>Right-click on the icon for the shared hard drive and select "map
>network drive".
>
>Good luck
>
>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
Thanks Ron. But once mapped, will I be able to copy shared
files/folders from the desktop to a permanent laptop location? As I
understand it, I have access to the mapped drive while both computers
are connected, but I may want to take the laptop travelling with me.
And what is the best way to copy folders and subfolders without doing
each folder one at a time? I'm used to just doing it with xcopy from a
command prompt, but I don't know how to put in the name of the mapped
drive in xcopy.
I know I need to study more.
Again, thanks for the input.

Jack
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 30, 2005 9:02:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

JClark wrote:
> On 28 Aug 2005 19:31:54 -0700, ggrothendieck@gmail.com wrote:
> > Viewing your post
> >through google mail it says the author has requested that
> >the mail not be archived. How do you request that?
> I wasn't aware my posts were not being archived. I investigated and
> found that my newsreader (Forté Agent) has apparently a default
> setting which is checked "prevent usenet articles from being archived
> X-no-archive". This option is under menu item "Group|Default
> Properties"
> Should my posts be archived? I can't see any downside to archiving
> them so others may look them up. I may change it to archive them
> unless there are reasons why I should not. Thanks for noticing.

I guess if someone else has the same question in the future it
would be useful to have an archive copy of it so that they can find
it via google without waiting to post and get an answer.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 30, 2005 3:02:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks to Pegasus, Paul, GGrothendieck and Ron!
I mapped the root directory of the donor computer and then used Xcopy
with switches to copy the files and folders I wanted to the laptop.
Using windows to do the copy failed repeatedly, perhaps because of
..exe files being copied or perhaps because of empty folders. And when
Windows copy stumbles, it stops completely. So Xcopy came through for
me. I really appreciate all the assistance.

Jack
!