Thanks to:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/ec465240d547b888

I discovered that ccapp.exe, which is part of Norton AntiVirus,
was attempting to access my email.

I already have server-based email protection and both hardware
and software firewalls so I just unchecked ccapp.exe from
the appropriate msconfig.exe screen but now IE won't access
any web sites. If I manually start up ccapp.exe then IE
works again.

Does anyone understand what is going on and what I should do?

Thanks.

Either remove Norton or allow it to do it's job. I suggest you not second
guess the developers as to what is needed for the program to function
properly.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

<ggrothendieck@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/ec465240d547b888
>
> I discovered that ccapp.exe, which is part of Norton AntiVirus,
> was attempting to access my email.
>
> I already have server-based email protection and both hardware
> and software firewalls so I just unchecked ccapp.exe from
> the appropriate msconfig.exe screen but now IE won't access
> any web sites. If I manually start up ccapp.exe then IE
> works again.
>
> Does anyone understand what is going on and what I should do?
>
> Thanks.

If you do not want to uninstall Norton, for the reasons that you stated: Rather than
stopping ccapp.exe from loading using the msconfig startup tab, open Norton, and disable
the email scanning option. See if that solves the problem. I always thought that Norton
adding email scanning was redundant, because the autoprotect module should already be
protecting then entire system.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

> Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
> > Either remove Norton or allow it to do it's job. I suggest you not second
> > guess the developers as to what is needed for the program to function
> > properly.
>
> I no longer need their software since I am already protected by
> other hardware and software. However, since IE does not work
> when I simply disable ccapp.exe I am afraid it will also not
> work if I remove Norton altogether -- and if that happens
> then I have no internet access.
>
> You see, if the removal fails then I can't just put Norton back
> on since my subscription to their updates just expired a few days
> ago and I don't want to have to buy another copy just to get my
> computer working. I originally bought my copy from their web site
> so I never did receive a disk. In fact even if it had not expired
> they have this hidden charge where they charge you extra to be
> able to download their software again after the first month and
> I never did pay for that extra.

ggrothendieck...

totally off subject here...but just wondering...

do you (or did you) live in Chicagoland and did you work at a film lab on
Belmont Ave. several years ago?

"ggrothendieck@gmail.com" wrote:

> Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
> > Either remove Norton or allow it to do it's job. I suggest you not second
> > guess the developers as to what is needed for the program to function
> > properly.
>
> I no longer need their software since I am already protected by
> other hardware and software. However, since IE does not work
> when I simply disable ccapp.exe I am afraid it will also not
> work if I remove Norton altogether -- and if that happens
> then I have no internet access.
>
> You see, if the removal fails then I can't just put Norton back
> on since my subscription to their updates just expired a few days
> ago and I don't want to have to buy another copy just to get my
> computer working. I originally bought my copy from their web site
> so I never did receive a disk. In fact even if it had not expired
> they have this hidden charge where they charge you extra to be
> able to download their software again after the first month and
> I never did pay for that extra.

Nope.

SRS wrote:
> ggrothendieck...
>
> totally off subject here...but just wondering...
>
> do you (or did you) live in Chicagoland and did you work at a film lab on
> Belmont Ave. several years ago?
>
> "ggrothendieck@gmail.com" wrote:
>

> > Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
> > > Either remove Norton or allow it to do it's job. I suggest you not second
> > > guess the developers as to what is needed for the program to function
> > > properly.
> >
> > I no longer need their software since I am already protected by
> > other hardware and software. However, since IE does not work
> > when I simply disable ccapp.exe I am afraid it will also not
> > work if I remove Norton altogether -- and if that happens
> > then I have no internet access.
> >
> > You see, if the removal fails then I can't just put Norton back
> > on since my subscription to their updates just expired a few days
> > ago and I don't want to have to buy another copy just to get my
> > computer working. I originally bought my copy from their web site
> > so I never did receive a disk. In fact even if it had not expired
> > they have this hidden charge where they charge you extra to be
> > able to download their software again after the first month and
> > I never did pay for that extra.

map

>I no longer need their software since I am already protected by
>other hardware and software.

Your server e/mail virus scanner WILL NOT stop viruses from the internet,
Your hardware/software firewalls WILL NOT stop viruses from the internet.
Go ahead and remove norton then post back for help on removing the viruses
you will be infected with.
http://www.nod32.com/download/trial.htm

--
Mike Pawlak

ggrothendieck@gmail.com wrote:
> Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
>> Either remove Norton or allow it to do it's job. I suggest you not
>> second guess the developers as to what is needed for the program to
>> function properly.
>
> I no longer need their software since I am already protected by
> other hardware and software. However, since IE does not work
> when I simply disable ccapp.exe I am afraid it will also not
> work if I remove Norton altogether -- and if that happens
> then I have no internet access.
>
> You see, if the removal fails then I can't just put Norton back
> on since my subscription to their updates just expired a few days
> ago and I don't want to have to buy another copy just to get my
> computer working. I originally bought my copy from their web site
> so I never did receive a disk. In fact even if it had not expired
> they have this hidden charge where they charge you extra to be
> able to download their software again after the first month and
> I never did pay for that extra.

Restraints applied....

Ccapp is part of NAV. If you don't want NAV, uninstall it. You don't have
to remove the remaining software suite.
Symantec has a cleaning tool at their site to assure that all is removed.
It will leave the coded date stamp for your last virus definition
subscription.
Downloaded paid for software is not normally provided in CD format as well.
Some will provide it as extra cost.
Most people save paid for software to either a hard drive, or burn it to CD
for safe keeping, or both. I'll assume you did neither as the extended
download period you mentioned wouldn't be material, therefore, you wouldn't
have mentioned it.
Its not uncommon for downloaded software available at an extended period of
time for EXTRA money. This is not Symantec in particular.

You can remove the entire suite and reinstall it, you just can't get updated
virus defintions until you renew that which is a paid subscription. That
is, if the install software was available.

Another alternative is to remove NAV, and install the latest NAV that comes
with a year's subscription. The cost difference isn't that great. Or
another AV of your choice.

Lil' Dave wrote:
> Restraints applied....
>
> Ccapp is part of NAV. If you don't want NAV, uninstall it. You don't have
> to remove the remaining software suite.

And what if IE no longer works then? Even disabling ccapp.exe
causes it to stop working and removing it will surely disable
ccapp.exe. I need to be able to disable their software prior
to removing it and still be able to access the internet so I can
be sure that removing it will not cause me to lose internet access.

> Symantec has a cleaning tool at their site to assure that all is removed.
> It will leave the coded date stamp for your last virus definition
> subscription.
> Downloaded paid for software is not normally provided in CD format as well.
> Some will provide it as extra cost.
> Most people save paid for software to either a hard drive, or burn it to CD
> for safe keeping, or both. I'll assume you did neither as the extended
> download period you mentioned wouldn't be material, therefore, you wouldn't
> have mentioned it.

I don't know where it is. I am not even sure that I downloaded
it directly. I may have downloaded a small program that in
turn downloaded and installed it. Its about a year ago.

> Its not uncommon for downloaded software available at an extended period of
> time for EXTRA money. This is not Symantec in particular.

I don't know of any others but assuming that they exist, so what?
Its still an unfair hidden cost.

> You can remove the entire suite and reinstall it, you just can't get updated

I have no idea how to do that. See the discussion previously.

> virus defintions until you renew that which is a paid subscription. That
> is, if the install software was available.
>
> Another alternative is to remove NAV, and install the latest NAV that comes
> with a year's subscription. The cost difference isn't that great. Or
> another AV of your choice.

Yecch.

> <ggrothendieck@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
> > > Either remove Norton or allow it to do it's job. I suggest you not
> second
> > > guess the developers as to what is needed for the program to function
> > > properly.
> >
> > I no longer need their software since I am already protected by
> > other hardware and software. However, since IE does not work
> > when I simply disable ccapp.exe I am afraid it will also not
> > work if I remove Norton altogether -- and if that happens
> > then I have no internet access.
> >
> > You see, if the removal fails then I can't just put Norton back
> > on since my subscription to their updates just expired a few days
> > ago and I don't want to have to buy another copy just to get my
> > computer working. I originally bought my copy from their web site
> > so I never did receive a disk. In fact even if it had not expired
> > they have this hidden charge where they charge you extra to be
> > able to download their software again after the first month and
> > I never did pay for that extra.

Are you trying to say that I should be using brand X software
instead?

MAP wrote:
> >I no longer need their software since I am already protected by
> >other hardware and software.
>
> Your server e/mail virus scanner WILL NOT stop viruses from the internet,
> Your hardware/software firewalls WILL NOT stop viruses from the internet.
> Go ahead and remove norton then post back for help on removing the viruses
> you will be infected with.
> http://www.nod32.com/download/trial.htm
>
> --
> Mike Pawlak
>

> ggrothendieck@gmail.com wrote:
> > Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
> >> Either remove Norton or allow it to do it's job. I suggest you not
> >> second guess the developers as to what is needed for the program to
> >> function properly.
> >
> > I no longer need their software since I am already protected by
> > other hardware and software. However, since IE does not work
> > when I simply disable ccapp.exe I am afraid it will also not
> > work if I remove Norton altogether -- and if that happens
> > then I have no internet access.
> >
> > You see, if the removal fails then I can't just put Norton back
> > on since my subscription to their updates just expired a few days
> > ago and I don't want to have to buy another copy just to get my
> > computer working. I originally bought my copy from their web site
> > so I never did receive a disk. In fact even if it had not expired
> > they have this hidden charge where they charge you extra to be
> > able to download their software again after the first month and
> > I never did pay for that extra.

> Any commercial antivirus and anti spyware software, programs that need
> continual updating, on a sometimes daily basis, is subscription software.

This seems unrelated to the present discussion.

Any commercial antivirus and anti spyware software, programs that need
continual updating, on a sometimes daily basis, is subscription software.
Get used to it!